Hello there! Reece Shearsmith and Steve Pemberton's new series Inside No.9 is on Wednesday nights at 10.00pm on BBC2 and looks like another typically dark comedy with intertwining storylines and grotesque characters like Psychoville and League of Gentlemen. So far one episode has been shown - 'Sardines', featuring an amusingly awkward and increasingly intense round of the titular party game featuring a rather disfunctional upper class family, and it's pretty good. Not as overtly funny as the earlier series', but it's full of character and oozing with proper talent - Katherine Parkinson, Tim Keys, Anne Reid, Timothy West and Anna Chancellor looking exactly the same as she did 20 years ago. Next week's episode is about a burglary and I believe all the stories tie up somehow in the end. Check it out one time why don't you?

• Upvote 3

Surprised more people aren't talking about this as I seem to remember Psychoville garnering quite a bit of discussion on here.

Just watched last night's episode on iPlayer and thought it was brilliant, and a great contrast to the simmering understatement of the first episode.

This was dark, high-concept, silent movie farce with some inspired slapstick. Best thing I've seen on TV in ages. The whole dog sequence in particular was just :lol:

This was brilliantly done last night - I stumbled across it by accident and it was the best piece of (near) silent comedy I've seen in ages.

That bit where

Reece Shearsmith leaves Steve Pemberton to deal with the dog while removing the painting and looks up to find the even bigger dog - the WTF look his face was hilarious

This isn't what I was expecting at all. It's not 'dark', the second episode was pure slapstick! it feels like a 'writers' project. I'm enjoying it though. The first episode was genuinely hilarious, the second was a bit of a technical marvel but fell a bit flat on the humour front.

Just watched Episode 2, pretty incredible stuff. It's totally spoilt by an abysmal voice over during the credits being all patronizing and like 'Ohhh wasn't that GREAT eh?!''

There's something I really hate about the BBC continuity announcers... there's a woman one and there's a man one, and they both have a weird kind of glib sneery voice whenever they talk over the credits of comedy shows. It drives me mad. It's like, "This is my 'talking-over-a-comedy-programme' voice"... a weird kind of nasal, sarcastic, "Mmmm, wasn't that a special comedy treat", a tone which allows them to transition into Newsnight.

This isn't what I was expecting at all. It's not 'dark', the second episode was pure slapstick! it feels like a 'writers' project. I'm enjoying it though. The first episode was genuinely hilarious, the second was a bit of a technical marvel but fell a bit flat on the humour front.

Yes, it sounds like the BBC have given Steve Pemberton and Reece Shearsmith a contract to do whatever they like for 6 episodes. Which is fine by me.

• Upvote 1

I enjoyed the second episode, I admired what they were trying to do but

when they did the transgender gag they lost my faith. Whenever a transgender person features in a comedy they always seem to be there so they can reveal their genitalia as a 'punchline'. Not only is it an incredibly done to death gag but it's painfully immature and disappointing from writers who are usually quite progressive when dealing with minorities.

I'm still looking forward to seeing more though. I like that both episodes have been experiments (Can you do an episode where multiple characters are in a tight space? and Can you do an episode where there is no dialogue - even though they felt the need to cave in right at the end and have dialogue to explain the plot. I wish you just saw him from outside on the telephone and were left to work it out yourself, which would have still be obvious, whilst keeping the theme of show constant throughout.)

• Upvote 3

I didn’t think the

transgender revelation was particularly offensive or unpleasant – Reese Shearsmith’s character didn’t react with disgust or horror, he was just surprised and embarrassed. That was the tone of the scene, I think – it was played as embarrassment at having something so intimate revealed, rather than as transphobic panic.

I absolutely loved the episode, Reece Shearsmith and Steve Pemberton have such amazingly funny faces – the mimed argument about going to the toilet was hysterical.