rllmuk
Professor Puzzles

Inside No.9

Only just started watching this, it's very funny, just finished S2E01, the sleeper train one, hilarious!

I've finally got round to watching this on Netflix (only yesterday realised they're repeating it on BBC2), and it's the best TV I've seen for ages. I'm almost finished with series 3.

I rewatched The League of Gentlemen not so long ago, and thought it was quite dated in places. Inside No 9 shows how far they've matured in all aspects of writing - plot structure, the brilliantly well-hidden twists and counter twists, the ability to create memorable one-off characters, cracking dialogue, the swtich from hilarity to delicious nastiness. Even some of the lesser episodes have so much going for them. And as performers they've never been better. Steve Pemberton in particular is fantastic - I always thought he was the best and most versatile actor of the three (compare the average-bloke-down-the-pub Mike with the terrifying Pop, for instance).

The Devil of Christmas, though. Holy. Shit. :o

• Upvote 6

Just binged watched all of this over the last week or so.  What a fucking stupendously great programme.   Best thing I've seen in ages.  

Hard to pick favourites, but I'd vote:

S1: Tom & Gerri

S2: 12 Days of Christine

S3: OH GOD THESE WERE ALL EXCELLENT, Diddle Diddle Dumnpling was probably my favourite though

S4: OH GOD THESE WERE EVEN MORE ALL EXCELLENT. Can't choose..  Though 'And the winner is' was probably the weakest / least twisted. 

Roll on Season 5.  :wub:

• Upvote 6

On 29/01/2019 at 14:30, Hanzo the Razor said:

I hadn't at the time but have since! Fucking superb. Especially funny as my gf recounted a story of how her parents watched it live but bought into the 'problems' so much that they changed channel! Fucking hell lol. 

Just read an article in the latest issue of Empire magazine that this is back in February, did some digging and seems like it returns Monday 3rd February on BBC Two :)

• Upvote 3

Hadn't read this thread for a while, but just saw the trailer on BBC2, so was pleasantly surprised. Next Monday it is!

Reece and Steve are doing a companion podcast for every episode on BBC Sounds.

• Upvote 2

I thought the reveal at the end wasn't needed as the idea itself was interesting enough.

Linesman Minnelli is going to take some beating jokes wise though.

• Upvote 3

Definitely one of the more comedic episodes. Had some cracking lines in it.

It was ok. I actually don't really have anything else to say about it which is unusual for me and this show. Some funny moments but easily forgotten.

8 hours ago, Pete said:

I thought the reveal at the end wasn't needed as the idea itself was interesting enough.

Linesman Minnelli is going to take some beating jokes wise though.

Yeah, it felt like a twist too far and maybe it would have been stronger if they hinted at it instead of explicitly spelling it out. But I really liked it - great setup, good dialogue and great acting from all involved. Very happy it's back. 

Every series is like opening six Christmas presents. There's always a shit one, a couple of average ones and some corkers. So glad it's back.

• Upvote 1

I loved it. I’m not averse to a more comedy-heavy episode and some of the jokes were worthy of Royston Vasey. Brilliant stuff. 

• Upvote 1

On 07/02/2020 at 00:06, hub2 said:

I first heard about Inside No. 9 about 4 days ago after seeing this thread at the top of the folder. Already halfway through season 2. It's fantastic, why have I slept on this!?

The 12 Days of Christine episode was mind-blowingly well written. How can you fit that into a 30 minute episode?

Sorry I'm 5 years late on this. ;)

Christine is the stand-out for me still - just brilliant (much of the greatness was lost on me until I read up about it afterwards tbh, but even on a simple level it's fantastic). But Bernie Clifton's Dressing Room (series 4) is a great second place for me. As a series it misses occasionally (but even then the misses are pretty good in the scheme of things), but the hits are often so very good...

• Upvote 2