rllmuk
Professor Puzzles

Inside No.9

It's tough to choose my favourite, but I would urge people to watch the almost-completely dialogue free one with Dennis Lawson, and the homage to Rope shot in one take.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, merman said:

It's tough to choose my favourite, but I would urge people to watch the almost-completely dialogue free one with Dennis Lawson, and the homage to Rope shot in one take.

Yeah the A Quiet Night In episode is one of my favourites, is a lovely nod to the classic Jules Dassin, Rififi

Not sure about the Rope comparison, this one isn't a one shot. You maybe thinking of Psychoville's Play for Today.

• Upvote 1

Another shout for Psychoville. For some baffling reason I ignored when it first came out but I finally watched it a few years back and it's brilliant. Bonus points for a pre-Hollywood Daniel Kaluuya and all.

• Upvote 2

Tell me I wasn’t the only one who shouted

Spoiler

Psychoville!

the minute she opened the door.

• Upvote 4

I enjoyed it as a nugget of Psychoville, but wasn’t sure if it stood up as a standalone inside no.9 episode. That’s also two comedy eps in a row.

Been a bit of a quality dip, these two, if I’m being honest. 

The next one is a xmas episode they chose not to broadcast 7 weeks ago as a xmas special.

Hang on, I've been planning to watch Psychoville. Should I watch that before I watch this episode?

Leave work, go home and watch Psychoville now!

Edit - I haven’t see the episode yet, this is just general advice for life. 

• Upvote 2

I didn't really enjoy season 2 of Psychoville, it meandered all over the shop, lost some of the best characters early on, and generally just didn't seem to know what to do with itself after the season 1 finale already tied a lot of stuff up. A lot of the new characters barely fit into the narrative at all.

Season 1 is well worth a watch though. 

Is Psychoville available anywhere right now? I'm sure it used to be on either iPlayer or Netflix. I'll be damned if I'm purchasing it off of Amazon Prime.

It was a such a good episode, it's easy to forget it included a scene where a man was about to

Spoiler

put his baby in a pan of boiling water

which is possibly the single most disturbing thing they've ever done, thankfully not played for laughs.

As opposed to the also disturbing but very funny

Spoiler

"I've finished"

"I know"

(I might have misremembered what they actually said but you know the bit I mean.)

"What did your scout master used to say to you?"

"Don't tell anyone?"

:lol:

Also, Reece's delivery on the line "I'm beyond the veil" still has me in stitches.

• Upvote 5

Yeah this was great for the morning commute and that Don't tell anyone line made me lol. 

"What's his favourite animal?"

"Monkey"

"Fuck that. You can have sausage dog, snake or giraffe"

• Upvote 9

On 10 February 2020 at 14:59, grounded_dreams said:

Yeah the A Quiet Night In episode is one of my favourites, is a lovely nod to the classic Jules Dassin, Rififi

Not sure about the Rope comparison, this one isn't a one shot. You maybe thinking of Psychoville's Play for Today.

You are right, of course. So easy to get them mixed up.

• Empathy 1

8 hours ago, Timmo said:

Hang on, I've been planning to watch Psychoville. Should I watch that before I watch this episode?

Yeah, skip this and watch Psychoville. 

I thought that was amazing. Can't believe we got another episode of it after all these years. Not sure if it worked as an episode of Inside No. 9 though. 

Who'd have thought inside no 9 would do fanservice like this?! Great stuff, though the end was a bit weak, I thought.  

We called it as soon as we saw Tina's eyes rolling down the hallway :lol:

• Upvote 1

Aw, that was brilliant, so nice to see those really fucked up Psychoville characters again! 

According to the TV Tropes trivia page they considered bringing David and Maureen back way back in series 1 of No.9 but wanted the series to stand on its own. Glad they changed their minds!

I hadn't watched that much of psychoville so only got the Mr Jelly reference - I probably would have got a lot more from it if I knew the characters as it was I thought it was just ok - some great lines in it and a few disturbing scenes!

BBC missed a trick by not making Pyschoville available on iplayer again after this episode! 

• Upvote 1

I don't know much about Psychoville but I really enjoyed that. "Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater," etc.

Great episode.

Edit: I just read that Psychoville was 'unfairly pulled' after 2 series. Surely a reference to the door number at the start.

• Upvote 3