rllmuk
Professor Puzzles

Inside No.9

Efficiency is definitely the word. You could easily see a whole series made from the material in that episode.

• Upvote 1

On 18/02/2020 at 20:17, Bazjam said:

They confirm and explain in the podcast that

Reveal hidden contents

the mum did it

Do they ever even allude to that person knowing the identity of the victim? Did they explain that connection?

I actually had no idea what was going on and didn't understand why it just suddenly stopped. Regarding the spoiler above, did what? I think I missed the point that something major happened? It had my full attention too, I wasn't half watching.

Someone, apparently the mum, ran over the loan shark who was threatening her son.

Even though she'd arranged car repairs, I'd assumed it was the Dad or the uncle, since the Mum didn't seemingly have any route to knowing who the loan shark was. 

23 minutes ago, schmojo said:

Reveal hidden contents

Someone, apparently the mum, ran over the loan shark who was threatening her son.

Even though she'd arranged car repairs, I'd assumed it was the Dad or the uncle, since the Mum didn't seemingly have any route to knowing who the loan shark was. 

Reveal hidden contents

I think the point was that the mum knew a lot more than she was letting on, or than the other members of the family realised. Mums always know.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, schmojo said:

Hide contents

Hide contents

The son

told the mum about stealing the money and so I assumed he also told her who the loan shark was that he owed money to. She then hit the loan shark with her car and needing it repaired asked her(?) brother.

2 hours ago, sofasurfer said:

The son

Hide contents

told the mum about stealing the money and so I assumed he also told her who the loan shark was that he owed money to. She then hit the loan shark with her car and needing it repaired asked her(?) brother.

Reveal hidden contents

He didn't tell the mum though, did he? I thought he told the dad, and they agreed not to tell the mum.

Either way, @Darren's reasoning is solid enough for me.

As happy as I am by the new season, I do feel disappointed that the episodes so far haven't been as great as the previous seasons. Rewatching the series again and the 12 Days of Christine, The Devil of Christmas, A Quiet Night In etc are just amazing.

5 hours ago, yakumo said:

As happy as I am by the new season, I do feel disappointed that the episodes so far haven't been as great as the previous seasons. Rewatching the series again and the 12 Days of Christine, The Devil of Christmas, A Quiet Night In etc are just amazing.

This week's and last week's have been great.

• Upvote 5

The magician one was great and would’ve been up there with the best... but Reece’s turtleneck outfit, wig and hammy acting really pulled me out of it.

They usual nail their parts so this was a rare misstep and not enough to totally ruin it, still the best of the series for me: a superbly constructed twist.

1 hour ago, Timmo said:

This week's and last week's have been great.

I'm definitely in the minority regarding this season, the one with the Psychoville was great but the others have just been good for me.

This one didn't quite work for me and it took me a while to put my finger on why. 

Spoiler

We are supposed to believe that the grandson of the murdered magician exacts his revenge by... murdering a completely innocent woman purely to incriminate the other magician. It's just too much of a stretch.

• Upvote 1

More for discussion than anything: Does anyone think they should step down from acting duties? I'm starting to wonder if they've outgrown themselves at this point. Less because they're bad, more because their writing is so good.

I think it'd increase their success as writers but I'd miss them too much.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Mawdlin said:

This one didn't quite work for me and it took me a while to put my finger on why. 

Reveal hidden contents

We are supposed to believe that the grandson of the murdered magician exacts his revenge by... murdering a completely innocent woman purely to incriminate the other magician. It's just too much of a stretch.

It was mentioned a couple of times that stealing a trick was considered worse than murder by magicians, and the kid looked pretty unhinged anyway.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Timmo said:

More for discussion than anything: Does anyone think they should step down from acting duties? I'm starting to wonder if they've outgrown themselves at this point. Less because they're bad, more because their writing is so good.

I think it'd increase their success as writers but I'd miss them too much.

I think they're having too much fun. I do think they should have at least one episode a series just with guest actors though. I know what you mean.

Pemberton is a much better actor than Shearsmith. Not that Shearsmith is bad, and most of the time he's fine, but he's definitely the more limited of the two - this particularly stood out for me in the advent calendar episode where Pemberton didn't miss an emotional beat but Shearsmith trying to convey being devastated at the memory of his wife at Xmas was a bit wooden/unconvincing.

When they get the right actors in the right roles the writing really does shine particularly brightly though (hello Sheridan Smith).

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Silent Runner said:

Maybe I wasn't paying attention but

Hide contents

why did he delete the CCTV footage?

Paranoia about it recording him with the safe

Shearsmith can be a great actor, but he often slips into a riff of Judee Levinson from LoG. I think his role in Misdirection would've been better played straight, without the scenery chewing.

1 hour ago, grindmouse said:

Shearsmith can be a great actor, but he often slips into a riff of Judee Levinson from LoG. I think his role in Misdirection would've been better played straight, without the scenery chewing.

I think that was a deliberate choice to show how he'd changed since becoming a showman. In the early scenes he does play it pretty straight while Pemberton is broader. 

• Upvote 3

Presumably he's referring to this bit:

Spoiler

Well done, but also brutally done. For all the rightness there was in seeing Griffin brought to justice, his wife being a casualty of Gabriel’s revenge was plainly unfair. Had Jennie (played by Jill Halfpenny) been seen to collude in Willy’s murder and the theft of his trick, then her own punishment might have felt deserved rather than arbitrarily cruel. As an innocent, her death makes it impossible to celebrate Gabriel’s ingenuity, which was perhaps the point - revenge is a nasty business and the world is often morally unfair. Not everything can slot together as neatly as that complicated trick. 

There's one thing I wasn't sure about in that episode - I'm not sure if it's a detail I missed, or something they left us to guess:

Spoiler

Was it explained how Gabriel made it seem like it was Griffin who'd made the harassing calls to the hotel front desk? Did I miss any hints in the episode - e.g. was he recording the audio of the parts of their conversation when Griffin was sounding aggressive, to edit and play down the phone?

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Nick R said:

Presumably he's referring to this bit:

There's one thing I wasn't sure about in that episode - I'm not sure if it's a detail I missed, or something they left us to guess:

Reveal hidden contents

Was it explained how Gabriel made it seem like it was Griffin who'd made the harassing calls to the hotel front desk? Did I miss any hints in the episode - e.g. was he recording the audio of the parts of their conversation when Griffin was sounding aggressive, to edit and play down the phone?

That denofgeek review nails the main weakness in Misdirection but the last two episodes have been superbly multilayered and worth watching more than once.

I was scanning past episodes and realised I hadn't seen The Harrowing, so I watched it last night.

Fuck.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Majora said:

Pemberton is a much better actor than Shearsmith. Not that Shearsmith is bad, and most of the time he's fine, but he's definitely the more limited of the two - this particularly stood out for me in the advent calendar episode where Pemberton didn't miss an emotional beat but Shearsmith trying to convey being devastated at the memory of his wife at Xmas was a bit wooden/unconvincing.

When they get the right actors in the right roles the writing really does shine particularly brightly though (hello Sheridan Smith).

I think Shearsmith has a excellent comic timing with his delivery. Pemberton is more versatile, but Shearsmith has better timing.

Together they are magic though

• Upvote 3

I think the pair of them are two of the finest performers working in Britain, and that's leaving aside their writing talents.

• Upvote 4

That was a fantastic episode, this is what I was talking about. Classic Inside No.9