Inside No.9

Professor Puzzles

• 4 months later...

They're back for a Christmas Special, with Simon Callow and Shobna Gulati from Coronaton Street. About a guy who books a stay in a haunted church on Christmas Eve. Looks like it's considered the first episode of series 8, the rest of which will come next year sometime.

• 2 weeks later...

I did wonder why I couldn’t find it in the Radio Times listings, which start (a bit late, in my opinion) with Christmas Eve. 

I gather League alumnus Mark Gatiss’ Christmas ghost story is similarly scheduled for the middle of this week somewhere?

Google says: BBC2 on Friday December 23 2022 at 10pm

22 hours ago, JPickford said:

Not sure I understood this one.

Not a lot to understand was there?

Spoiler

Chap thought he saw a ghost, but turns out he’d had a premonition of his own death. 

Like in the woman’s story about her Mum.

I rather enjoyed it, but yeah - not a lot here. Funnily enough my elderly parents are over for Xmas, and I’ve gotten them into No. 9. This is the 6th episode they’ve watched in 2 days! 

2 hours ago, dumpster said:

The recent Rhlstp podcast with Reese is great. Fan reactions to inside number 9 -

"It's getting a bit stale now, they should do something different".  Cue Reese response, "it's different every week! That's the whole point! Wankers!"

It was brilliant, his genuine frustration with his own fan base was hilarious. If I ever see him I cannot wait to suggest they should "do one on a bus" 😂

I only started watching this show last week. It's basically a more modern Tales Of The Unexpected with a dash more black humour, innit? Suits me. Some episodes obviously better than other, but always interesting. It's a nice feeling to have about 30 episodes to get through at my own pace.

Weirdly, I watched a movie called Amulet a few days ago, off the back of a Kermode recommendation, and then watched S01E06 ("The Harrowing") the same day. Almost identical plots!

Watched ‘The Devil of Christmas’ with my parents tonight, and it did leave rather a bad taste in the mouth. It’s still wonderful how they filmed such an accurate recreation of 70’s TV, but man it’s dark.

Fortunately ‘The Bill’ immediately followed it and cleansed the palate. That’s the beauty of it (and, I think, why my folks keep asking for more episodes) - you never know what you’ll get with each episode.

• 1 month later...

Press release for series 8, to be shown in spring:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/2023/inside-no-9-series-8-cast/

That preview image should appeal to @Goose:

p0dz3n32.jpg.f9274c4d778b000c36bd4e10e6feb958.jpg

It only mentions five episodes though, rather than the usual six - on iPlayer, the 2022 Christmas special is listed as the first episode of this series. 

Also, one name that it's disappointing to see in the cast list:

Spoiler

Frances Barber. :seanr:

On 25/12/2022 at 10:11, dumpster said:

The recent Rhlstp podcast with Reese is great. Fan reactions to inside number 9 -

"It's getting a bit stale now, they should do something different".  Cue Reese response, "it's different every week! That's the whole point! Wankers!"

What podcast is this?