rllmuk
Professor Puzzles

Inside No.9

17 hours ago, sjeh said:

This was utterly horrible. Amazing TV. I was squirming, difficult to watch.

It looked quite tasty once it was cooked.

• Upvote 2

It was my least favourite episode of any series so far. I was sure something clever/horrible was going to happen right up until the very end but nah. 

2 hours ago, Pungee said:

It was my least favourite episode of any series so far. I was sure something clever/horrible was going to happen right up until the very end but nah. 

Agreed. It actually felt a bit odd that no-one died. I liked that Pemberton said at the start something like  “it’s not just going to be one song after another, is it?”. Exactly what everyone was thinking. I guess it was about the cleverness of lyrics syncing up with the characters and their narratives... but that didn't really do it for me. After the first 3 episodes being so good, perhaps we were due a drop in form. Still enjoyed it, still great TV, just nowhere near the previous highs.

I enjoyed it very much. Like how they mix the genres and don't rely on unpleasantness all the time. Always inventive and always really well acted is what I really like about Inside No. 9 (though I do love a good bit of horror). 

• Upvote 2

I'm not expecting every episode to be a bloodbath but I do expect something clever and unexpected to happen. The whole lyrics of the songs fitting with the character narratives thing was fine but totally obvious and not an interesting enough of an idea to hang a whole episode on. 

I did enjoy Pemberton's atrocious Brummie accent though.

As I previously said, I enjoyed it lots, but when I originally heard about the episode I'd hoped it would be entirely told through karaoke song with no dialogue. That could've been great.

Not sure I want to watch it, the phrase 'the library does might be enough for me

I thought that was brilliant. One of my favourites from any series. I love the way they ramped up his obsession until it was clear that he wasn't well/something horrible had happened and the ambiguity of whose blood was on his hands after the "they should be together" line. Damn son. 

• Upvote 5

Wow. That was a massive return to form. How much symmetry and identical / matching pairs were there? Incredible efforts.

Spoiler

Loved this shot.

umAzeLt.jpg

Was the ending 100% clear? Part of me was thinking...was it Ted's blood... or his daughters... when he said "they should be together". Eek. :(

Edit: Actually, thinking about it - if the blood was still wet, it's unlikely to have been from Norfolk :(

• Upvote 3

Was distracted watching it:

Spoiler

So the daughter had a twin that died and was the blood at the end from him murdering the daughter to be with him?

16 hours ago, Broken Richie said:

Was distracted watching it:

Reveal hidden contents

So the daughter had a twin that died and was the blood at the end from him murdering the daughter to be with him?

Spoiler

The origin of the blood is not resolved.  It could be the daughter; it could be the fake, shoe owner; it could be both.

Whatever the answer the outcome is grim.

An excellent episode.

• Upvote 1

Agreed that this was one of the best episodes. It had me gripped, even although I thought it was going to be a bit silly at the start.

• Upvote 1

See, I didn't like this one either - I thought it developed too quickly and the absurdity / darkness balance was all over the place. Also (and without spoiling anything) I think it'd be pretty easy to parody the show now, thanks to episodes like this - it has clear parallels in the first two seasons.

I've not really been taken with any of this season's episodes, I've realised - the crossword one is my favourite so far, but even that seemed over-egged (which may have been the point).

I think maybe the show's become a little too over-confident and, as a result, a little less inventive - it's obviously well-crafted TV, but I feel like it's resting on its laurels this time round. Rather than surprising me, it's reminding me of what I enjoyed about the earlier seasons, which isn't enough. But the final episodes have been my favourites previously, so I'm going to keep going to the end.

• Upvote 6

Last one for the year! :( / :) BBC2. 10PM tonight.

"An unlikely group of individuals find themselves in The Nine Gallery in East London for champagne, canapes, and cutting-edge culture..."

C6-ue5JWwAAWGx6.jpg

• Upvote 1

On 17/03/2017 at 12:10, Rowan Morrison said:

See, I didn't like this one either - I thought it developed too quickly and the absurdity / darkness balance was all over the place. Also (and without spoiling anything) I think it'd be pretty easy to parody the show now, thanks to episodes like this - it has clear parallels in the first two seasons.

I've not really been taken with any of this season's episodes, I've realised - the crossword one is my favourite so far, but even that seemed over-egged (which may have been the point).

I think maybe the show's become a little too over-confident and, as a result, a little less inventive - it's obviously well-crafted TV, but I feel like it's resting on its laurels this time round. Rather than surprising me, it's reminding me of what I enjoyed about the earlier seasons, which isn't enough. But the final episodes have been my favourites previously, so I'm going to keep going to the end.

Yeah the best episode was Krampus for me, then the crossword one. The others have been mixed, but always watchable and enjoyable. I didn't think they landed the ending last week. It went from extremely silly melodrama to dark/tragic too quickly. I was discussing it with my other half and we both felt it would've benefited from some sort of sub plot to ground it and divert from the shoe. His behaviour was so extreme at the midpoint of the episode he could've been sectioned, but it was played off as comic. As a result the ending felt like an awkward fit on to what had preceded it. I can appreciate there some clever shots, mise en scene etc.

The ratio of top drawer episodes is still very good. I expect tonight's will be another strong one as it's giallo/horror based.

Just started catching up on the third series and The Bill just didn't do it for me unfortunately. The main twist just flat out doesn't work and causes it all to come crashing down in a mess of implausibilities. A twist like that needs to be airtight and it simply wasn't. Disappointing, I expect a bit more from them. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, meatbin said:

I didn't get the final episodes ending... Any explanation? 

A twist too many.

It's implied he overpowered her and cut out her heart - agree it wasn't clear or necessary.