IGNORED

Resident Evil composer exposed as a big fraud

robotattack

http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2014/02/resident-evil-composer-exposed-as-fraud.html

Popular Japanese composer Mamoru Samuragochi is well known for his contribution to the Resident Evil videogame theme, but in Japan he was even more renowned for several hit compositions. He was considered to be the digital-age Beethoven after it was reported he battled with a degenerative illness that left him deaf but still composing music.

Samuragochi was asked to present some of his music at the Sochi Olympics this year. On Wednesday, Samuragochi made a surprising announcement that he had been using a ghostwriter for over two decades, including the Resident Eviltheme. It was said the confession was prompted by Japanese figure skater, Daisuke Takahashis upcoming performance to one of his pieces.

The even more troubling aspect of it is that the ghostwriter, Takashi Niigaki, said in a press conference that Samuragochi isnt really deafit was an act that he was performing to the outside world. Niigaki has said he was paid about 7 million yen (around $69,000) to write for Samuragochi since 1996 but didnt reveal the truth sooner because Samuragochi threatened to kill himself.

When asked about the timing of this announcement, Niigaki said, "I could not bear the thought of skater Takahashi being seen by the world as a co-conspirator in our crime.

As of now Samuragochis label, Nippon Columbia, has stopped distributing his merchandise and is investigating how to distribute royalties.

I think he did the early stuff, including Resi, but as his hearing got worse he hired someone else. Including for his most famous work Symphony no.1 Hiroshima.

I can see it's embarrassing but the music still sounds the same, so if you liked it before you should still like it. Dunno why anyone would feel short-changed in that regard.

I'm almost sure the Director's Cut in the UK had the original music on it and not that trumpety abomination.

In fact I still remember Resident Evil's music rather fondly. The "main" mansion music is still one of my favourites and set the tone of the game perfectly.

He's only meant to have worked on the NA/JP-only Dual Shock version of RE Director's Cut and Onimusha Warlords anyway. I'd never even heard of him or his supposed 'work' up until reading this thread.

I had a bit of a panic attack at reading the thread title. The early RE franchise has some good music.

Well I've only ever played the DC version of RE1 and remember very well the music just posted up by Sie.

I remember it too. My point is he didn't compose that, not even supposedly. The above piece is from the original soundtrack which was legitimately composed by a set of three composers. Just for the record it was Masami Ueda who composed the bulk of the early stuff, with other guys helping out.

Unless you've forcefully gone really obscure and played the Dual Shock version of Director's Cut you've never heard this phony guy's 'contributions'.

Also, DC version?

"Popular Japanese composer Mamoru Samuragochi is well known for his contribution to the Resident Evil videogame theme"

Sorry if I seem sensitive over this, but this comes across as really bad reporting and coming across in a manner which is discrediting legitimate works. The Resident Evil soundtracks we all know (and in some cases love) were legitimately composed, with of course the above exception which I really doubt if anyone here has played, or listened to outside of Youtube.

Urghhh... This has spread across the net quite a bit now and is across most of the 'gaming' websites.

Do these sites even know their shit?

If they don't do they at least bother to do any kind of research for five minutes to get some facts in order?

+1 for false reporting, I suppose.

I remember it too. My point is he didn't compose that, not even supposedly. The above piece is from the original soundtrack which was legitimately composed by a set of three composers. Just for the record it was Masami Ueda who composed the bulk of the early stuff, with other guys helping out.

Unless you've forcefully gone really obscure and played the Dual Shock version of Director's Cut you've never heard this phony guy's 'contributions'.

Also, DC version?

"Popular Japanese composer Mamoru Samuragochi is well known for his contribution to the Resident Evil videogame theme"

Sorry if I seem sensitive over this, but this comes across as really bad reporting and coming across in a manner which is discrediting legitimate works. The Resident Evil soundtracks we all know (and in some cases love) were legitimately composed, with of course the above exception which I really doubt if anyone here has played, or listened to outside of Youtube.

I know, I was simply replying to what Sie had written

"I'm almost sure the Director's Cut in the UK had the original music on it and not that trumpety abomination."

As i'd only played that one version and not the American or Jap version or the original, I knew that what Sie was getting at was indeed correct, which in this case was the music he linked to was in fact in the UK release of DC. And also DC as in Directors Cut not Dreamcast.