rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Wiper

The Unofficial Rllmuk Awards 2013 - The Results! Today: Game of the Year: 10 to 1

Y'know its the acidic commentary that really makes it...

I'm really looking forward to reading the GOTY list - and if any of my choices make the higher echelons Wiper is going to have a field day...

(hey he loves Fire Emblem so he can't be all bad ;) )

• Upvote 2

Nice work collecting the results. Choosing a Most Wanted between Ultra SFIV and Persona 5 was a really tough call for me, as they're new games in two of my all-time favourite franchises, but very little was known about P5 (at the time of the poll) so I placed it second and plucked three more games out of thin air...

• Upvote 2

Surely =103 and 17 are both The Witness. Unless they're making a game of the Peter Weir movie, which would be awesome.

Edit also =103 and 13, both The Order 1886

• Upvote 2

Wiper can you please keep your comments to the related game threads and just post the fucking results?

Fanks

Nope.

Surely =103 and 17 are both The Witness. Unless they're making a game of the Peter Weir movie, which would be awesome.

Edit also =103 and 13, both The Order 1886

Of course they are - I'll fix that now. The downside of trying to filter four different voting lists, there: more errors slip through :(

Yeah I mean if we didn't have the comments, I wouldn't be able to laugh at the sheer wrongness about Fallout.

My pleasure ;)

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

23. Thief - with 4 votes. Average placement: 3rd. Voted the most exciting game of 2014 by Mr Do 71.

I fear that four people are going to be very disappointed.

yeah i think i voted for that because i liked the old thief games and thought the deus ex 3 people were making it...after reading up on it recently i suspect you're right :(

Surprised Destiny ended up top, anticipation seems pretty low-key on here. I don't think the thread has even been bumped with all the media they've been putting out recently.

So the new Shinji Mikami game didn't even make the top 25. What's wrong with you people?

I can only speak for myself, but for me Mikami is amazing when he's working on a project focussed on action and gameplay - P.N.03, God Hand, Vanquish are all absolutely brilliant games - but the moment he tries to make a game which relies on tension or story in anyway everything falls apart. So him returning to horror doesn't exactly instil me with enthusiasm.

yeah i think i voted for that because i liked the old thief games and thought the deus ex 3 people were making it...after reading up on it recently i suspect you're right :(

:(

Gutted Dark Souls 2 lost out to Destiny! Shame on you, rllmuk. And shame on me for forgetting to vote! :s

I love that two people sniping at each other made the list

86. Anyone who bought an Xbone - with 1 sole voter, who placed it as their number 5
32. People who put people who bought an Xbox One in their hall of shame - with 1 sole voter, who placed it as their number 1. Voted the most shameful experience of 2014 by spatular.

With Revivals one being an honorable mention.

• Upvote 4

I know the Xbone is still not exactly loved, but you don't have to pre-empt it being our most shameful experience of this year aswell Wiper!

I know the Xbone is still not exactly loved, but you don't have to pre-empt it being our most shameful experience of this year aswell Wiper!

:lol:

Apologies, I've fixed the year.

Liked your comment on backwards compatibility. People seem incapable of grasping that the hardware is as much constitutive of the game as the software, and that it's to gaming's credit that it moves forward at such a pace that old games have to be played on old systems. For proper backwards compatibility we'd have to include all previous gen hardware within current gen hardware, adding significant costs for a function 99% of gamers couldn't give a fuck about.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

I know it's fairly high on the list but someone put "Vita Lineup" as their 4th most shameful thing of the year? Has this person even looked on the PS Vita Store? It's filled with loads of games.

I don't have a vita, but all the games I ever see listed that are interesting (admittedly a lot) are ports of stuff I already have on PC or (less often) other systems. It doesn't seem to have much of its own that stands out to me (persona 4 I already played on ps2).

It must be really nice to have all those awesome games on one handheld though, for sure.

I see that point made occasionally, and it always interests me as it seems to ignore the fact that that's the case with every console apart from Nintendo ones (and also ignores how much of that 'non-exclusivity' comes from the encouragement Sony gives developers to make their games for both Vita and PS3 - contrast that to the many Nintendo games that they refuse to port either way). I just did a quick tally of exclusives in this year's GOTY top 50, and we have:

9 PC

5 3DS

4 Wii U

3 PS3

2 Vita

2 XBone

1 PS4

0 360

0 iOS

(increase it to the top 100 and you get:

21 PC

8 PS3

7 Wii U

7 3DS

4 Vita

4 Xbone

2 360

2 iOS

1 PS4

So that looks to be a fairly representative sample)

Putting it comfortably in the mid-tier for exclusives, while a lot of it (and the PS3's) potential exclusives are lost thanks to cross-compatibility.

Agreed, if you take a manufacturer perspective, Sony will fare better. We shouldn't look down on them because they like to push cross-playform play.

The only games that I really see as being cross-platform are those that appear on the leading consoles and PC. Stuff like assassins creed, battlefield, Fifa. Motor storm rc is a very different type of cross-platform game compared to fifa 14.

I don't have a vita, but all the games I ever see listed that are interesting (admittedly a lot) are ports of stuff I already have on PC or (less often) other systems. It doesn't seem to have much of its own that stands out to me (persona 4 I already played on ps2).

It must be really nice to have all those awesome games on one handheld though, for sure.

Yeah, many of those games are really well-suited to a portable platform with great controls and that screen makes everything look more classy. I much prefer playing games like Hotline Miami and Spelunky on the Vita. Also: TxK. :)

• Upvote 1

Apologies for the late posting - had a doctor's appointment I really couldn't miss tonight. Anyway, without further ado: the biggest surprises of 2013!

26. 3DS - with 2 votes. Average placement: 2nd. Voted the biggest surprise of 2014 by alexander.

Not much to say here - I don't really agree, unless the surprise is just how limp the 3DS's lineup of games is, Fire Emblem Awakening and Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies excepted.

26. Fire Emblem: Awakening - with 2 votes. Average placement: 2nd. Voted the biggest surprise of 2014 by SMD.

As if by magic... not quite up to the standard of the GBA titles, Fire Emblem: Awakening's allowance for grinding prevents the game from being as tight as the games that preceded it. Even so, the permadeath mechanics and relationship building remain a heady combination, the game is easily the best available on 3DS.

26. Not buying [insert console/game here] - with 2 votes. Average placement: 2nd. Voted the biggest surprise of 2014 by U-1.

And again, people are surprised at themselves for not buying things. Not really much I can say about that.

23. Guacamelee - with 3 votes. Average placement: 3rd. Voted the biggest surprise of 2014 by Trigg.

I don't think many people saw this game coming - a lovely lucha libre themed Metroidvania-cum-brawler, the game's sharp visuals and small areas make for a particularly good fit with the Vita.

22. Dota 2 - with 2 votes. Average placement: 1st. Voted the biggest surprise of 2014 by Loki.

I've still not played this, but I doubt any surprise would be big enough to mean I could enjoy an online-only, high-focus, team-based competitive semi-RTS.

22. Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - with 2 votes. Average placement: 1st. Voted the biggest surprise of 2014 by PC Master Race.

Surprise! It's a shitty MMORPG!

20. Buying [insert console/game here] - with 3 votes. Average placement: 2nd. Voted the biggest surprise of 2014 by Bleeders.

See 26.

20. Knack - with 3 votes. Average placement: 2nd. Voted the biggest surprise of 2014 by Cappuccino Kid.

I've not played this, but a fair few people do seem to have been pleasantly surprised by Knack following the critical drubbing it received from critics expecting a childrens' platformer, and instead presented with a beginners' brawler.

20. Super Mario 3D World - with 3 votes. Average placement: 2nd. Voted the biggest surprise of 2014 by mdn2.

I assume the surprise was realising that the 'revolution' certain reviewers were talking about amounted to removing the innovation from Galaxy, adding in a cat-suit and finally allowing players to use Princess Peach.

17. Microsoft screwing up - with 5 votes. Average placement: 4th. Voted the biggest surprise of 2014 by Camel.

Fair enough here - not many people expected Microsoft to quite so spectacularly throw away the goodwill they'd generated over two previous generations of consoles. Oops.

16. Persona 4: Golden - with 4 votes. Average placement: 3rd. Voted the biggest surprise of 2014 by Wiper.

I find JRPGs tedious beyond all imagining - whether Final Fantasy, Chrono, Dragon Quest, Grandia, Phantasy Star, Lost Odyssey or even Skies of Arcadia: even the handful with decent stories and writing end up warding me off with their constant grind and mindless gameplay long before the end.

Not Persona 4. Somehow, a game in a genre I've never enjoyed managed to be my game of the year. I was surprised, alright!

15. PS4 hardware - with 3 votes. Average placement: 2nd. Voted the biggest surprise of 2014 by The Boatman.

Specifically, a lot of people were surprised by the reasonably high specs of the PS4 - notably the amount of RAM. I'm not entirely sure why we're surprised that a console has come out with specs from the slightly upper end of modern PC builds - exactly the same as the 360 was in its day - but there you go.

15. Wii U - with 3 votes. Average placement: 2nd. Voted the biggest surprise of 2014 by Keith's Dad.

Fair enough; if I were to buy a Wii U and enjoy it I'd be surprised too.

13. NES Remix - with 4 votes. Average placement: 2nd

Obviously the surprise isn't at Nintendo lazily falling back on their old materials, because we're more than used to them doing that. No, the surprise was that, in this case, they apparently actually made something entertaining out of this Frankenstein's monster of a game.

13. PS4 pad - with 4 votes. Average placement: 2nd. Voted the biggest surprise of 2014 by toythatkills.

It's not shit! That's a genuine surprise to anybody who's had to put up with the past few generations of Sony consoles.

11. The Last of Us - with 4 votes. Average placement: 2nd. Voted the biggest surprise of 2014 by catinthehat, davejm and KS..

Apparently it's now surprising when Naughty Dog put out a technically impressive cinematic-moment-em-up. Who knew?

10. Assassin's Creed 4 - with 6 votes. Average placement: 3rd. Voted the biggest surprise of 2014 by deerokus.

Perhaps less surprising, more a relief: after the travesty that was Assassin's Creed 3, it's good to know that the entire series hasn't gone down with the ship. Welsh pirates and naval battles make for a far more enjoyable experience than Assassin's Creed 3's endless procession of linear tutorials.

9. Wii U's sales - with 4 votes. Average placement: 1st. Voted the biggest surprise of 2014 by mrsnrub, Robo_1 and Stanley.

Like the Dreamcast, only with fewer great games and even fewer sales, I don't think anyone expected the Wii U to do quite so badly.

8. Sony - with 5 votes. Average placement: 2nd. Voted the biggest surprise of 2014 by Clipper and PeteBrant.

After a half decade of the American narrative of Sony's consoles selling not a jot being fed to us, it was a surprise to many when Sony managed a successful global launch of the PS4. Despite the fact they'd actually taken the lead in the last generation two years before.

Alas, they've a way to go to dig themselves out of the far bigger troubles that the Sony group as a whole faces.

7. PS+ - with 8 votes. Average placement: 3rd

PS+ is legitimately brilliant, something which people seem to be perpetually surprised to discover. If you own any Sony consoles and don't have PS+, you're missing out.

6. State of Decay - with 5 votes. Average placement: 2nd. Voted the biggest surprise of 2014 by Clyde and rumblecat.

I ignored this because it's an online game[edit: totally not online; just open world], and has zombies in. Yes, that's my entire contribution to this entry.

5. Vita - with 7 votes. Average placement: 2nd. Voted the biggest surprise of 2014 by PK., strawdonkey.

Like PS+, the Vita is one of those products that is absolutely brilliant, yet most people seem barely aware of. A real shame, as it's undoubtedly the best handheld games machine around.

4. Tomb Raider - with 7 votes. Average placement: 2nd. Voted the biggest surprise of 2014 by CovisGod and timblington.

I'm surprised they rebooted it, and I'm surprised that they managed to make the game far worse than those which had gone before (mostly by removing the entire point of those games by eliminating any real exploring, open platforming areas or puzzles from the game). I don't think that's what the people who voted for this were surprised by, though.

3. PS4 - with 9 votes. Average placement: 3rd. Voted the biggest surprise of 2014 by Captain LeChuck, Graham_S and Napole0n.

Quite a lot of people like the PS4, it seems. Similar to entry 8, a lot of people were surprised by the PS4 and its launch by comparison to the performance of the PS3; they've come a long way from RIIIIIIDGE RACER! and Massive Damage.

2. Brothers - with 8 votes. Average placement: 2nd. Voted the biggest surprise of 2014 by APM, Doctor Shark, MechE and Mr. Gerbik.

I really need to play this at some point, don't I?

1. Tearaway - with 10 votes. Average placement: 2nd. Voted the biggest surprise of 2014 by bradigor, BZ LiMuBai, Mortis, Qazimod and womblingfree.

And another game I really need to play. Media Molecule finally release a platformer that's actually really good, while also taking full advantage of the Vita's capabilities. And, predictably, no bugger buys it. So it goes.

And the remaining 31-113 - spare a thought for the poor souls who voted for Long Live The Queen and Virtue's Last Reward, apparently unaware that both games were released in 2012 :( A real shame, because both games are absolutely ace (in very, very different ways), and would otherwise have been prime candidates for this award.

31. Game Dev Tycoon - with 2 votes. Average placement: 2nd
31. Hotline: Miami - with 2 votes. Average placement: 2nd. Voted the biggest surprise of 2014 by shirubagan.
31. Next-gen console sales - with 2 votes. Average placement: 2nd
31. Steam controller - with 2 votes. Average placement: 2nd. Voted the biggest surprise of 2014 by Sprite Machine.
31. The Stanley Parable - with 2 votes. Average placement: 2nd. Voted the biggest surprise of 2014 by NEG.
36. 2DS - with 2 votes. Average placement: 3rd
36. Hearthstone - with 2 votes. Average placement: 3rd. Voted the biggest surprise of 2014 by George Clooney.
36. Nintendo's giveaways - with 2 votes. Average placement: 3rd
36. Papers, Please - with 2 votes. Average placement: 3rd
36. Resogun - with 2 votes. Average placement: 3rd
50. Crispin playing Dota - with 1 sole voter, who placed it as their number 1. Voted the biggest surprise of 2014 by Rudi Van Sternberg.
50. DMC - with 1 sole voter, who placed it as their number 1. Voted the biggest surprise of 2014 by Gambit.
50. Feeling sadness over Ryan Davis' death - with 1 sole voter, who placed it as their number 1. Voted the biggest surprise of 2014 by SweatyTravolta.
50. GTA V - with 1 sole voter, who placed it as their number 1. Voted the biggest surprise of 2014 by Lyrical Donut.
50. Harmoknight - with 1 sole voter, who placed it as their number 1. Voted the biggest surprise of 2014 by spatular.
50. Killer Instinct - with 1 sole voter, who placed it as their number 1. Voted the biggest surprise of 2014 by Revival.
50. Next-gen console availability - with 1 sole voter, who placed it as their number 1. Voted the biggest surprise of 2014 by Marzipan Travolta.
50. Nintendo - with 1 sole voter, who placed it as their number 1. Voted the biggest surprise of 2014 by Epcotman.
50. Praise for The Last of Us - with 1 sole voter, who placed it as their number 1. Voted the biggest surprise of 2014 by Vezna.
50. Rogue Legacy - with 1 sole voter, who placed it as their number 1. Voted the biggest surprise of 2014 by IronChicken.
50. Sony domination - with 1 sole voter, who placed it as their number 1. Voted the biggest surprise of 2014 by Vemsie.
50. Stealth Bastard Deluxe - with 1 sole voter, who placed it as their number 1. Voted the biggest surprise of 2014 by lewismistreated.
50. Street Fighter X Tekken - with 1 sole voter, who placed it as their number 1. Voted the biggest surprise of 2014 by alistarr.
50. Valkyria Chronicles 3 fan translation - with 1 sole voter, who placed it as their number 1. Voted the biggest surprise of 2014 by Yobo Ahoy.
51. Rllmuk console wars - with 2 votes. Average placement: 3rd
63. Battleblock Theatre - with 1 sole voter, who placed it as their number 2
63. Call of Juarez: Gunslinger - with 1 sole voter, who placed it as their number 2
63. Dead Rising 3 - with 1 sole voter, who placed it as their number 2
63. Joachim Mogren being Hideo Kojima - with 1 sole voter, who placed it as their number 2
63. Miiverse - with 1 sole voter, who placed it as their number 2
63. Miiverse 3DS - with 1 sole voter, who placed it as their number 2
63. Monaco - with 1 sole voter, who placed it as their number 2
63. Ni No Kuni - with 1 sole voter, who placed it as their number 2
63. Playstation Plus - with 1 sole voter, who placed it as their number 2
63. Soul Sacrifice - with 1 sole voter, who placed it as their number 2
63. The Stanley Parable Demo - with 1 sole voter, who placed it as their number 2
63. Xbone being rubbish - with 2 votes. Average placement: 1st. Voted the biggest surprise of 2014 by Chadruharazzeb.
66. Mass Effect 3: Citadel - with 2 votes. Average placement: 4th
66. Microsoft's 180 - with 2 votes. Average placement: 4th
66. PS4's sales - with 2 votes. Average placement: 4th
80. Anarchy Reigns - with 1 sole voter, who placed it as their number 3
80. Battlefield 4 - with 1 sole voter, who placed it as their number 3
80. Ducktales - with 1 sole voter, who placed it as their number 3
80. Europa Universalis IV being accessible - with 1 sole voter, who placed it as their number 3
80. Knack outselling Mario - with 1 sole voter, who placed it as their number 3
80. Mount Your Friends - with 1 sole voter, who placed it as their number 3
80. Pikmin 3 - with 1 sole voter, who placed it as their number 3
80. Shadow Warrior - with 1 sole voter, who placed it as their number 3
80. SteamOS - with 1 sole voter, who placed it as their number 3
80. The Walking Dead Series 2 - with 1 sole voter, who placed it as their number 3
80. Thomas Was Alone - with 1 sole voter, who placed it as their number 3
80. Ubisoft's downloadable titles - with 1 sole voter, who placed it as their number 3
80. Vita indie games - with 1 sole voter, who placed it as their number 3
80. Zelda: A Link Between Worlds - with 1 sole voter, who placed it as their number 3
82. Animal Crossing - with 2 votes. Average placement: 4th
82. Starbound - with 2 votes. Average placement: 4th
98. Boogie2988 - with 1 sole voter, who placed it as their number 4
98. Devil's Third almost finished - with 1 sole voter, who placed it as their number 4
98. Don Mattrick dismissal - with 1 sole voter, who placed it as their number 4
98. Gunpoint - with 1 sole voter, who placed it as their number 4
98. Luigi's Mansion 2 - with 1 sole voter, who placed it as their number 4
98. Magic 2014 - with 1 sole voter, who placed it as their number 4
98. No Man's Sky - with 1 sole voter, who placed it as their number 4
98. Not enjoying XCOM - with 1 sole voter, who placed it as their number 4
98. PS4 region order - with 1 sole voter, who placed it as their number 4
98. Reaction to Wind Waker HD - with 1 sole voter, who placed it as their number 4
98. Shadowrun Returns - with 1 sole voter, who placed it as their number 4
98. Sim City being awful - with 1 sole voter, who placed it as their number 4
98. That Microsoft took so long to be evil - with 1 sole voter, who placed it as their number 4
98. Ultra combo double in SFIV - with 1 sole voter, who placed it as their number 4
98. XBone Kinect actually working - with 1 sole voter, who placed it as their number 4
98. Xbone reception - with 1 sole voter, who placed it as their number 4
111. 3DS's sales - with 1 sole voter, who placed it as their number 5
111. Bravely Default - with 1 sole voter, who placed it as their number 5
111. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate - with 1 sole voter, who placed it as their number 5
111. EA making Titanfall MS exclusive - with 1 sole voter, who placed it as their number 5
111. Gears of War Judgement - with 1 sole voter, who placed it as their number 5
111. GTA V being disappointing - with 1 sole voter, who placed it as their number 5
111. Ouya actually launching - with 1 sole voter, who placed it as their number 5
111. PS4 Launch Titles - with 1 sole voter, who placed it as their number 5
111. Stick It To The Man - with 1 sole voter, who placed it as their number 5
111. The Last of Us Banderas - with 1 sole voter, who placed it as their number 5
111. The Swapper - with 1 sole voter, who placed it as their number 5
111. Videogamer.com - with 1 sole voter, who placed it as their number 5
111. Zelda: A Link Between Worlds being both modern and retro - with 1 sole voter, who placed it as their number 5
113. Long Live The Queen - with 1 sole voter, who didn't realise this was a 2012 release and so ineligible for entry.
113. Virtue's Last Reward - with 1 sole voter, who didn't realise this was a 2012 release and so ineligible for entry.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 3