Transformers Rise of the Dark Spark

Lothar Hex

New transformers game incoming...and I do not like the look of it. It is not being developed by High Moon Studios and is apparently going to merge the Fall of Cybertron games with the movie-verse. By the looks of it this means the part of the games set on Cybertron will look like the Fall of Cybertron designs, while the Earth missions will be based on the movie. Unsure if this means it is a continuation of the High Moon games, or it's just nicking their models for the Cybertron sections, personally feel it is the latter.

OK, while the movie lines have got got the odd good toys, the stark contrast between the two designs just makes the movie ones look even worse horrible to me.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

So apparently this is out on Friday:

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014/06/24/5-reasons-pick-transformers-rise-dark-spark-week/

They've kept that quiet.... I like that they seem to be retaining the spirit of the Cybertron games, but I don't like how little info there is on this three days before release.

And WayForward is doing the 3DS version, so that must be worth keeping an eye on, right?

I've took the plunge for the xbone one from shopto for about £45.

Im quite keen to see what the 3DS looks like as it's a turn based strat game from how i understand it.

The console version looks ok, and i recon escalation will keep me busy for a little while.

Not expecting groundbreaking at all it's just the fact i like transformers.

I'm tossing this in with the movie license garbage. If it turns out to be good, I'll be pleasantly surprised, but High Moon being absent and this being released around the same time as a normal movie cash-in makes me as paranoid as Red Alert.

3DS version is an SRPG by WayForward btw. Probably the better of the bunch.

BTW the Dark Spark is the 'Decepticon Matrix of Leadership' McGuffin this time around. Having just read Retribution, this makes me go:

Optimus-Prime-facepalm.png

So I'm about halfway through the game on PC, and so far, I feel "Transformers: The Rise of the Re-used Assets" feels like a more apt title. Was expecting this but when you can recognise the backgrounds from previous games levels it does take the piss a bit. Gameplay wise the game plays pretty much like Fall of Cybertron, which is a good thing to me. However everything feels a little off. For example in FOC you could hold down the left trigger, transform, and your vehicle mode would head off at top speed immediately. This is still true for jets here, but for ground vehicles there's a pause of a second before it shoots forward. The upgrade system is back, but instead of buying upgrades you randomly unlock them as you level up, so no focusing on the weapons you like.

The game feels little more difficult then the previous titles, mainly due to how enemies will just turn up behind you with you knowing and blast the back of your skull plate. Also it feels like some enemies weapons are more powerful than others, specifically the enemy drones who killed me 10 times in one section playing as Shockwave. It also appears you can't get permanent health/power upgrades like in FOC. This challenge is fine when it feels fair, but in the aforementioned Shockwave section it was frustrating to be blasted to bits by a tiny little ball that seemed to have borrowed Megatron's fusion cannon.

I've only played one movie section so far and from that the environment seem a little bland if serviceable. In fact that pretty much sums up the game, "serviceable." With WFC and FOC you can tell High Moon made them with love and affection for the franchise whereas with this you can tell Activision basically told Edge of Reality to follow a checklist of the previous games accomplishments. I've been having fun and enjoying it, but nowhere nears as much as Fall of Cybertron. I'd say wait for it to go down in price to about £20 UK price before investing and maybe then only if you like the previous two games. Hopefully High Moon will do the next game.

Glad I also got Rayman Legends and Brothers in the steam sale on the same day.

dunno, lot of noise about about the original amazon listing on 14/02/14, but one suggestion is that it's been "pushed back to july 10th for TF4 movie release"

Why only PS4?

Seems to be Xbox one version aswell, only listed by a third party. I thought there had been a pricing error, thus that is why they removed the listing, seems strange to affected by the movie since the game doesn't contain any spoilers.

Another spoiler, water is wet.

And finished. Overall not bad, but definitely not on par with Fall of Cybertron. As I said previously would be worth a punt at a cheaper price. One thing I do like is that they do sort-of leave it up to interpretation that

the Dark Spark is a multi-dimensional thing. You could say that the FOC style stuff happens in the past of the movie-verse as they never explicitly state it is or isn't. However it seems more likely to me that it is multi-dimensional for 2 reasons. 1) Not Zeta Prime (seriously they were that lazy and used his character model) Scientist guy says they're not sure where it comes from and could be from another universe. 2) At the end Movie prime launches the Dark Spark in to space, and then it lands on Earth again, but in front of G1 PRIME.

The Grimlock section was OK. They don't have the RAGE meter from FOC so you can stay looking like a very dull robot T-rex if you want. Still fun though despite the aesthetic not being my cup of tea. I really think someone needed to play closer attention to the script though as In movie-verse you come across a Titan enemy that is invincible for some reason. Then you hear "welcome my new mercenary" implying that you haven't killed like 5 of these guys by now, in the previous level and JUST before he turned up.

So yeah, seems to cinch it for me that it's travelling through universes. For me this means I can keep WFC/FOC separate from the movie verse. YAY. I did prefer the FOC levels more even though they re-used assets like no ones business because I got to play more of my fave Decepticons.

Did you learn nothing from Exodus? What possessed you to read it?

I finished both Exodus AND Exiles. Considering Retribution was not written by He Who Shall Never Be Named Again, but instead by two other persons, I figured I'd give it a shot again (that and morbid curiosity). By all means it's better than the previous two, but that's about it. At least it tried to be coherent this time around.

Avoid like the hate plague.

I quite enjoyed the previous two Transformers games, this however is an utter bag of shite and continues Activision's current mission of ensuring anything that isn't CoD or Skylanders they put out is worthless. Avoid.

Unfortunately the amount of love and care High Moon Studios put into the previous two didn't exactly amount to high sales and setting the charts on fire so I'm guessing Activision just consider it a waste of money and spent only what's necessary. Of course High Moon Studios are now stuck on COD duty. :( Real shame this happened to the studio that made the Dinobots relevant again within Hasbro.

Replaying FoC now and good god on PC at least it looks far better than RotDS. In all honesty if the FoC levels in this game were like a download for FoC I could maybe accept the laziness of it, but nope. full price PC game. In hindsight I think the only real highlight for it for me was playing as Shockwave, It just pails in comparison to FoC in everyway.