IGNORED

Cricket Thread

Don Rosco

42 minutes ago, Sirloin said:

Is the sound really inconsistent in the Hundred games for anyone else? Just occasionally it seems to jump ahead of the pictures slightly.

I meant to mention this a few days ago. They call the shot slightly before it's been played (edit: occasionally, not all the time). It's noticeable enough that it has to be deliberate (IMO). I'm guessing it's intentional to get people involved, but it's actually kind of annoying because there are times when the jeopardy has been removed from the shot. Occasionally I'm wondering if the batter has got hold of it fully, but I'm being told they have. I'm happy to be corrected, but it feels like this is a thing.

Edit: Just to expand - it really is a fraction too early - less than half a second perhaps - but it's just enough to be disconcerting. They're telling me what I'm seeing, not what I've seen.

It was a great little spell by Sam Curran before lunch, wasn't it? I was a bit worried when he came on with Kholi new at the crease that he was going to let Kholi score some easy runs and get himself in, but he bowled five overs for hardly any runs and eventually prised the India captain out. It could be key to the match.

England need to do two things here - first keep the pressure on these two. They're both very experienced batsmen and we don't want to let them play themselves back into form. Then when we get one of them, if we can get Pant out early, I think we will be right on course to win.

It's getting a bit more interesting now!  Pant in with the tail, England about to take the new ball, looking to bowl India out for a chaseable target, this should be good.  Of course it would be a lot better if Woody hadn't injured himself as he was bowling so well.

Not for the first time, England has lost their way with trying to get tailenders out. I think this partnership has gotten India at least a draw now. 

I doubt England would seriously chase it regardless - Root is too cautious and Burns and Sibley will be sent out to open to further haer that home. 

If England have any guts they should open with 2 of Bairstow, Butler and Ali and treat it like a one-day game. At least then if they do lose early wickets Burns and Sibley could come in and bore India into a draw. Obviously got to bowl them out first. 

It's actually frustrating at how ordinary the Indians are making the English bowling look, along with Root's tactics.

All those easy singles due to the spread field just let both batsmen get in and they've now both scored more - on a day 5 pitch - than 8 of the English batsmen did. It's a bit embarrassing. 

4 minutes ago, Gigawatt said:

If England have any guts they should open with 2 of Bairstow, Butler and Ali and treat it like a one-day game. At least then if they do lose early wickets Burns and Sibley could come in and bore India into a draw. Obviously got to bowl them out first. 

Ha ha, as if! I think the last time England changed the order in a run chase was under Cook when KP opened (and I think was out for 4 or something.) I just think Root is even more cautious than Cook was - and he was a defensive captain - so I'd love to be wrong but I don't see it.

Disastrous performance from England. 

There was a match where, with a run chase on England opened with Buttler and Stokes, but Buttler got out in the first over.  I can't remember exactly when it was.

Edit - It was last summer, against West Indies.  They were trying to set up a declaration, and in fact it did work in the end, with Stokes scoring 78 off 57 balls, and England bowling the Windies out for 198.

This is shaping up to be one of those games that could have a long term impact. Look like we have a good chance of a win, let India off the hook. Now relying on a shaky top 3 to perform their role, which is less than ideal. If they lose this one now the mental scars could be there for the Ashes. 

This team will be absolutely hammered in the Ashes regardless of this game/series. The bowling attack struggles on docile pitches and doesn't have the pace to worry the Aussies and there isn't the talent to score 450+ over there, which you need. 

But yes, England lost the plot once Pant was out, and now Burns is out, lol.