IGNORED

Cricket Thread

Don Rosco

I think the game had gone a while before that to be honest, but now it's a case of India taking the draw out of the equation and really demoralising the bowlers by hammering them into the ground - the 5th test isn't far away.

The discussion about Anderson is going on again and I did actually look into his stats last night over the past 3/4 years and, in fairness, he hasn't bowled a massive amount in the second innings (certainly in 2019 and 2020), so that does skew things somewhat, but by the same token it is still a stat that tells a story.

I said yesterday that all four seamers being largely the same without Wood was a concern when the pitch starts to die and here we are. The talk about the spin option is another point of contention, again I'm not overly impressed with Root's captaincy. Again, I think Australia are going to win the Ashes comfortably and I wouldn't at all be surprised at another whitewash.

Oof. 367 to win. That would be at a rate of about 3 an over which is difficult enough in test cricket at the best of times.  The total would have to be a record for England.

England are going to have a lot of moments where this got away from them.  A couple of thrown away wickets, dropped catches, the missed run out.  That probably adds up to 80 or so runs, which makes all the difference.  It's going to be scoreboard pressure and the fatigue of two days in the field that will be the decisive factors I think.

Still, records are made to be broken, and you're not going to find a better fourth/fifth day pitch to have a go at it on.  I think we need to lose no more than one wicket this evening though.

I didn't get to see much of yesterday's play, but England dropped 6 catches by yesterday morning, which definitely doesn't help (including Rohit twice, I think once when he was in his 20s, so his drop alone cost 100 runs).

This England team doesn't really do chases though, as we've seen a couple of times this year they've been offered scores but never really showed any desire to chase them down.

What about a fifth day WIN?  :D

We've done similar a couple of times in the past two or three years, haven't we?  291 to win on the last day with all ten wickets remaining - far from easy, but not impossible.  Not on a pitch like this against a team who haven't picked their world-class spin bowler.

India are massive favourites, but you never know.

Wickets have fell in clumps all match, that's the worry.  I'm hoping it's going to be exciting. Or failing that a boring England win.  The two most likely outcomes are an England collapse after some valiant resistance, or Jadeja bowling the last session into the batsmen's pads while the run rate gradually creeps up past 8 an over.  Indian fans are not confident, have they taken 10 wickets in a day this series?  

We have three sessions left. India only really need do win one of them to guarantee a draw. If they win two, an Indian win is on the cards. England have to win all three to win the match.  I also think someone will have to score 150, probably Root.

A good start is important and hopefully Hameed doesn't get stuck like he did at Headingly (wasn't it something like 30 dot balls before he got out?)

It will still need some special batting somewhere down the card, because they won't get the full 90 overs in as they never do, so somebody will need to up the pace if there is a chance they could get near it. 

As always, it's the hope that kills ya. :D

How many overs were bowled yesterday? Didn't they play later to recover some that had been lost on previous days? I thought I read on the Guardian earlier that 95 overs are due today. I hope the umpires/match referee do what they can to enforce it.

45 minutes ago, Swallow said:

How many overs were bowled yesterday? Didn't they play later to recover some that had been lost on previous days? I thought I read on the Guardian earlier that 95 overs are due today. I hope the umpires/match referee do what they can to enforce it.

At the end of day 4 we should've had 360 overs bowled, but are at 325 - so losing on average 8 overs a day due to slow over rates. Its been an issue for a very long time but it seems the administrators don't care.

There is therefore absolutely no chance of 95 overs happening (assuming the game lasts that long) and no, nothing ever gets done about it other than paltry fines that - clearly - do not act as any kind of deterrent.

I always find the fact that the bowling side is the only one punished for a slow over rate slightly unfair. When Jimmy Anderson and Monty Panesar batted out that draw in Cardiff, England had the twelfth man bring out new gloves for the batsmen about three times to try and get the game timed out. When Jack Leach was facing Cummins and the rest in 2019, did he need to clean his glasses after every delivery? Yesterday (and obviously this one isn't gamesmanship at all) Purjara went over on his ankle and was treated for about ten minutes by the physio. The point is that it's not always the bowling captain who's responsible for a slow over rate. You can now get points docked from the Test world championship for a slow over rate, and that might be a bit of an injustice. Australia would have qualified for the last final ahead of New Zealand if they hadn't had points deducted. 

Australia being shafted is one example of the system working well, but my favourite bit of slow over rate schadenfreude is England's famous match against Pakistan in Karachi in 2000. During England's chase, Pakistan slowed the game down as much as possible, hoping that the gloom would come in and make batting impossible.  In those days there were no floodlights, but crucially it was up to the batsmen to decide whether or not to come off for bad light. Thorpe and Hick stayed out as basically night fell. Pakistan weren't just bowling spinners and medium Pacers, either - it was Waqar Younis who eventually removed Hick. Hussain came in and helped steer England home.  The most enjoyable moment came when the Pakistan captain Moin Khan, who had been playing for the light started complaining that his fielders couldn't see the ball.

Haha, Root and Woakes to just bat through from here at 3.5 an over and canter to victory. Hmmmm.

I wonder if they'll still try and eke out a draw, I can't really see that working either but from this position it would be a good achievement.

I went on a conference call at 2pm at 141/3 then when it finished about 20 minutes later we'd lost three more wickets and what could've been a great chase is now all about surviving nearly 50 overs for a draw.

I guess I'll concentrate more on work for the rest of the afternoon, then. 

ok, so needing a win at Old Trafford to tie the series. How to do that? Running out of bowlers and I feel like a few batters are being shown up as probably not good enough here. I could see them deciding Bairstow and Mo are white ball cricketers again at this rate.

46 minutes ago, Gabe said:

I went on a conference call at 2pm at 141/3 then when it finished about 20 minutes later we'd lost three more wickets and what could've been a great chase is now all about surviving nearly 50 overs for a draw.

I guess I'll concentrate more on work for the rest of the afternoon, then. 

I left early to get home to listen in those twenty minutes.

All this talk of a draw before today had be asking if people had seen England play cricket before?

we made it to tea! Just about.

Wood back next test of course. A spinner, so Leach or Parkinson? I dunno who they could bring in to shore up the batting at this point, it just seems like a good way to destroy people ahead of the Ashes. Buttler's had his baby girl so he might be up for playing again already.

24 minutes ago, milko said:

ok, so needing a win at Old Trafford to tie the series. How to do that? Running out of bowlers and I feel like a few batters are being shown up as probably not good enough here. I could see them deciding Bairstow and Mo are white ball cricketers again at this rate.

In my post above I originally wrote but deleted comments about Bairstow (as I have after each match in this series) but his time has surely got to be up (again)? He is the same player that England has discarded at least twice before, getting a nice 30 or so before normally getting out to the same old LBW. He couldn't do much about today, but I don't think he's shown enough to warrant a place over, say, Dan Lawrence (who has age on his side). 

I feel sorry for Ali too, because I think he's been moved all over the batting lineup for so long whilst trying to ascertain if he was a batter who bowls or vice versa - and I think the sad reality is that he's neither now and I blame the management for messing him around so much it has undoubtedly had an impact.

The end result is that I don't think he has the temperament to bat long in Tests and his bowling is expensive (so doesn't offer a control option) without taking the number of wickets you'd want to make you take that chance.

England need a spin option for Australia so I think he'll be on the plane if he wants to be, but they really need to find an alternative. I assume Leach is now out of the picture for whatever reason? 

As for batsmen, Stokes and Buttler will return, I imagine for Bairstow and Overton; Wood might come in but not sure for whom. I think Malan at 3 is fine and deserves his chance, so it's whether Pope retains his spot I guess. 

Edit: Stokes of course isn't back in this series, so Wood in for Overton might be the only change, depending on Buttler's availability. 

you're talking about the Ashes there right, no Stokes for Old Trafford I assume? God that would be nice, we miss him a lot. Pope has to stay, unless maybe Crawley or Lawrence make a compelling case but playing those two was getting counter-productive for their own morale as much as anything.

Completely agree with you about Bairstow and Ali. Not sure what their deal is with Leach in the long term, it's a bit odd. And is Bess on the scrapheap now?

Bess was sent back and told to learn his game IIRC so he won't be back for a while I don't think. And yes, I was thinking ahead re: Stokes.

It'll be interesting who Buttler does come back for if he is available, whilst you would think it to be Bairstow, with this management team I honestly couldn't say. 

Credit to India though, they have bowled brilliantly, Kohli has made some really good changes to the field and as a consequence they are going to deservedly win this game.

I said at the time England left runs on the field in their first innings but not being able to get anything out of the pitch/ball during India's 2nd innings (and running the steamers into the ground) will cost them.

Who knows if the pace of Wood might've helped or more spin, it would've at least given the Indians something different to face.