Amazon Prime Video

I tend to look at what is leaving soon on Amazon Prime if I can't decide on a film to watch (and because the UI is so crap that it tends to throw up all sorts of things I didn't realise were on there).

Looked today and the list is at least 5 times bigger than normal (if not more). I'm assuming contracts with some studios are up at the end of this year. Are more studio specific streaming services incoming?

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

What makes Justified great and worth a watch, looking at the episode guide synopsis on Amazon Prime it looks like a generic cop solves crime of the week story but with the gimmick being the bloke wears a hat ?

It's not very crime of the week, much more season driven than a weekly show I'd say. 

45 minutes ago, Alask said:

It's not very crime of the week, much more season driven than a weekly show I'd say. 

OK thanks, I know nothing about it at all but every 1 liner on Amazon for season 1 seems to indicate crime of the week but I'll add it to the list and give it a go. 

The fact it was on ch5 in the UK doesn't lend it an air of quality tv but won't judge it alone that.

2 hours ago, Ork1927 said:

I tend to look at what is leaving soon on Amazon Prime if I can't decide on a film to watch (and because the UI is so crap that it tends to throw up all sorts of things I didn't realise were on there).

Looked today and the list is at least 5 times bigger than normal (if not more). I'm assuming contracts with some studios are up at the end of this year. Are more studio specific streaming services incoming?

How do you see what’s about to leave?

1 hour ago, ZOK said:

Cheers @gospvg! I see Mr Robot is on that list, I was thinking of watching that - I thought it was an Amazon show?

Yeah that does seeem odd, I thought that was an Amazon show. It's probably a mistake.

8 hours ago, Gotters said:

What makes Justified great and worth a watch, looking at the episode guide synopsis on Amazon Prime it looks like a generic cop solves crime of the week story but with the gimmick being the bloke wears a hat ?

The first season is crime of the week. After that, it’s season long story arcs. It’s based on an Elmore Leonard character, so there’s lots of smart dialogue. Honestly, it’s brill.

I've watched a season and a half of Justified and I'd say it is quite good but it bothers me slightly that all the women are the same NRA Conservative woman fantasy (short summer dress, blonde, proficient with guns, like beer, church-y but not super religious). Other than deputy marshal thingy who is the racist lightning rod for the baddies so that the good cowboys can prove they aren't racist, all the women appear to be exactly the same.

It's not bad but that element feels like it has been focussed grouped in to appeal to a certain segment of the domestic audience. Kind of like how Jag and NCIS are designed for the elderly.

2 hours ago, DirkCrisis said:

I've watched a season and a half of Justified and I'd say it is quite good but it bothers me slightly that all the women are the same NRA Conservative woman fantasy (short summer dress, blonde, proficient with guns, like beer, church-y but not super religious). Other than deputy marshal thingy who is the racist lightning rod for the baddies so that the good cowboys can prove they aren't racist, all the women appear to be exactly the same.

Can’t say I’ve heard Margot Martindale described like this before!

11 hours ago, Ork1927 said:

I tend to look at what is leaving soon on Amazon Prime if I can't decide on a film to watch

This is exactly my approach.  I guess the better stuff tends to have a shorter life on the service, so it pretty much works as a quality filter most of the time.

• 4 weeks later...

I spotted Cool World has been put up on Prime, if it's of interest to anyone.

I'm not going to recommend it on its own merits, but it has been hard to get hold of over the past few decades. I can now cross it off my list.

Mainly of interest to animation geeks, particularly Ralph Bakshi fans. It's a mixed live action/animation movie that came out a couple of years after Roger Rabbit, and fails to get anywhere near it.

22 minutes ago, smac said:

I'm not going to recommend it on its own merits, but it has been hard to get hold of over the past few decades. I can now cross it off my list.

Mainly of interest to animation geeks, particularly Ralph Bakshi fans. It's a mixed live action/animation movie that came out a couple of years after Roger Rabbit, and fails to get anywhere near it.

Oh good, it's something I've always thought about watching when I've seen it crop up, but never got round to, might go check it out.

20 hours ago, smac said:

I remember liking Cool World when I was younger. (yes I was stupid) 

The game though.... Fucking hell that was bad. 

23 minutes ago, smac said:

The movie was a fascinating curio.

I did not remember there was a game based on it!

Came out on SNES, not sure if it got a UK release, but I remember the box from the old indie shop I worked in, it was always the same copy of the game sitting on the shelf, occasionally someone would trade somethign for it and bring it back on their next visit, I've a strong feeling it was pretty shit .

"Undone" Is a Prime Original, not sure if it's been mentioned in the thread, but discovered it yesterday, binged all 8 eps, really good, rotoscoped visuals, time / space bending plot, worth a look.

Yay! I need to get back into it - I burned out a little after binging on it.

We've been rewatching The X Files from the start - when it's good, it's great. Just watched The Post-Modern Prometheus Episode; superb 'cinematography'.

• gospvg changed the title to Amazon Prime Video