Amazon Prime Video

Harsin

3 minutes ago, milko said:

Abel Ferrara!

That's it! Knew I was fucking up somewhere. 

2 hours ago, Ry said:

I need to rewatch it. Been some time since I last watched. 

Dario Argento directed it didn't he? Or am I totally misremembering that? 

It was Abel Ferrara who directed it.

42 minutes ago, Benny said:

Now I'm going to watch Scanners, which amazingly enough, I also haven't seen.

I know, right? Scanners.gif

It’s mind blowing stuff, enjoy!

Watched a few episodes of a Canadian comedy series named 'Corner Gas' in between my shots of Returnal earlier and highly recommend it. 

It is a wonderful, gentle, sweet, comedy with a bit of a Parks N Rec vibe and I am now look forward to watching much more so well done to the Amazon algorithm for suggesting it. I had never heard of it until today! 

9 hours ago, Mike S said:

Watched a few episodes of a Canadian comedy series named 'Corner Gas' in between my shots of Returnal earlier and highly recommend it. 

It is a wonderful, gentle, sweet, comedy with a bit of a Parks N Rec vibe and I am now look forward to watching much more so well done to the Amazon algorithm for suggesting it. I had never heard of it until today! 

Yay! Another fan.  Same thing happened to me, it popped up when browsing, and I'd never heard of it. Watched one episode and I was hooked.  Finished it all now.  There's a movie too (not watched that yet), and an animated series now (don't think that's on prime yet).

58 minutes ago, Ste Pickford said:

Yay! Another fan.  Same thing happened to me, it popped up when browsing, and I'd never heard of it. Watched one episode and I was hooked.  Finished it all now.  There's a movie too (not watched that yet), and an animated series now (don't think that's on prime yet).

It's wonderful isn't it? 

Really well written and such a great cast of characters (his dad being a real highlight). I'm only four episodes in but if it stays this good for a decent while then it's going to be heading right onto my list of top ten sitcoms. 

55 minutes ago, Mike S said:

It's wonderful isn't it? 

Really well written and such a great cast of characters (his dad being a real highlight). I'm only four episodes in but if it stays this good for a decent while then it's going to be heading right onto my list of top ten sitcoms. 

Thanks for the recommendation! I'll check it out once we're done with our second watch of Schitts Creek.

On 06/05/2021 at 22:00, Mike S said:

i loved corner gas Kim’s convenience is another lovely Canadian comedy if youve not seen it 

On 08/05/2021 at 13:55, denisb said:

i loved corner gas Kim’s convenience is another lovely Canadian comedy if youve not seen it 

Sorry, meant to reply to this earlier.

Thanks for the recommendation, I've added it to the watch list. If it is even half as good as Corner Gas then I'll be very pleased.

Speaking of Canadian comedy I'd very much like to see Due South turn up on a streaming platform as I have fond memories of that.

Do not make my mistake of watching After the Dark because the premise sounded interesting.

One of the worst films I've seen in a long, long time.

Spoiler

one of my "favourite" moments was where they all decided (with limited spaces that could be filled) was to let in the "real estate" person type on their second try of picking people to survive the apocalypse in their thought experiment because... She had horded gold and gems. Apparently this was worth saving in an apocalypse because those assets always retain value unlike real money. These are supposed to be philosophy students, why aren't they even questioning the concept of gold still holding value. Urgh.

Got round to watching both seasons of Homecoming recently.

What an excellent show. The pacing and allowance for scenes and especially credits to breathe reminded me of Better Call Saul for some reason.

I'm watching the Underground Railroad. It's incredibly well shot and directed but jesus, it's grim, horrifying viewing. Not one to binge watch if you want to retain your sanity. 

But it's so stunningly shot, my god

19 hours ago, Benny said:

Got round to watching both seasons of Homecoming recently.

What an excellent show. The pacing and allowance for scenes and especially credits to breathe reminded me of Better Call Saul for some reason.

The end credits are amazing, aren't they? I always looked forward to what they were going to to do each episode.

It's a very effective stylistic affectation. Moments of silence add so much to a scene and it's surprising how many shows don't learn that lesson from film. The end sequences act as a moment of processing for your brain to recontextualize the events of the episode in your memory, which given the themes of the show is brilliant.

Coming to the end of Bosch season 2. Its total bollocks but extremely bingeable TV. At times its barely a step up above CSI/NCIS routine TV police drivel tbh. The main detective is every cliche from every popular crime book your Dad reads. Ex special forces, sleeps with much younger women, loves jazz, he is the cop who breaks all the rules to do the right thing...etc.

On the plus side the main cast is full of very good actors and actresses. Including a bunch of The Wire favourites such as Lance Reddick and Jamie Hector. Titus Welliver as Bosch himself is quality as well, dispite taking me a few episodes to warm up to him. Its all shot in sunny LA too, which is always a fantastic backdrop for this kind of grimey, crime stuff. The views from Bosch's terrifying house perched on the hills are breathtaking at times. 

Not something at the level of The Wire or The Shield sadly but a very easy watch, you can lose an evening or six with.

Avoid Beyond the Gates. I figured, ooh, a retro indie horror with 80% RT score, sounds intriguing. It's not, it's wooden, boring, awful awful film studies student script, and literally nothing of consequence happens for an hour. You literally cannot trust online ratings anymore.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Bosch is fucking coblers.  Piffle if the highest order.  A wash of hogs.  

It's also fucking ace.

16 hours ago, smac said:

Define 'better'. I mean, Ryan Reynolds Deadpooling it up as 'chu might be enough to hold our interest, but...

It's faithful to the material, while also its own thing. It feels like a lived-in Pokémon world and doesn't go out of its way to unnecessarily explain the premise or feel embarrassed about being based on a game. Reynolds is good as well.

Cheers; will probably give it a whirl, although I was just too old to get into Pokèmon back in the day.

Having said that, I've probably picked enough up through osmosis on here...

• gospvg changed the title to Amazon Prime Video