IGNORED

Amazon Prime Video

Harsin

2 hours ago, Popo said:

Is there room for one more suggestion on your watch list @Protocol Penguin?  If so stick Mr Robot on there.  The second season sags pretty drearily, but it opens strong and the last two seasons are absolute roller coasters, brilliant TV show.

I must admit I lost my enthusiasm for it during the second season and just ended up forgetting about it. Really must get back to it at some point. Thanks!

Do! I’m not gonna lie, season 2 is terrible, but 3 and 4 are sublime television. 

You could even skip season 2, the recaps at the beginning of the episodes are perfectly adequate to clue you in on what’s going on. I mean, I left it 3 years or so between seasons 2 and 3 and had forgotten everything that happened, and it was a piece of cake to Marge back in. 

On 29/07/2021 at 16:22, FishyFish said:

Hannah

It's an adaptation of the film of the same name and is a solid thriller with a great cast and well directed action. If you liked the original film, or stuff like the Bourne movies, it's well worth watching.

Any need to watch the movie beforehand?

18 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

Any need to watch the movie beforehand?

No. They’re both alternate versions really, with the show offering a new re-telling of the events of the movie and then expanding and doing it’s own thing. The movie is pretty good though.

I watched Cruel Summer over the last week. It's a 10 part thriller set in 1993, 1994 and 1995, cutting between the three time periods. It's about a teenage girl who goes missing in 94 and is subsequently found but in an interview she accuses one of her friends of knowing where she was and not rescuing her. The whole thing is building towards a court-case where the victims friend is sueing her for libel. 

I thought this was pretty decent - but there's probably not enough plot for 10 episodes. The story is well told and there's plenty of twists towards the end. The american 90s are well captured - there's loads of video stores, dial-up internet, trips to the mall etc. There's a good soundtrack and a satisfying ending. Worth a watch.

I think this last one, which I've not seen yet, is going to make or break it. I did like the first two (they start the same, but then start to diverge from the old story, with all sorts of crazy theories about the nature of what's happening), but the third was so far removed from the old story I need to see the conclusion to decide. I've not even searched out reactions from Japanese release to go in blind.

I’m trying to watch 1.11 now, and it started in the English dub which was horrific enough, but now I’ve managed to get it sorted the English subs only seem to be available as closed captioning, so as well as language subs I’m getting ‘wind noise’, ‘birds fly off’ etc which is spoiling it. Has anyone found a way to get normal English subs?

Ah okay, so it’s just how it is then.

What is this 1.11? It seems to be the original series but it’s different from how I remember it in parts…is it worth watching if you’ve already seen the series?

55 minutes ago, ZOK said:

What is this 1.11? It seems to be the original series but it’s different from how I remember it in parts…is it worth watching if you’ve already seen the series?

The first one is fairly close to the original. But there are some differences. And there is a new character introduced. Or maybe she was in the second? I can’t remember now. 

55 minutes ago, ZOK said:

It's worth watching 1.11 even though it is basically a retread of the first lump of TV episodes; if you take note of the little differences here and there you'll see them pay off in the later movies. For a small unspoilery example, there is a reason why Asuka has a different surname than in the TV series but you don't find out why until the fourth film.

The closed caption only subtitles are a bit annoying, but I tell you what's a real pain in the arse: it defaulting to the English dub, then when you go to change it to Japanese, all the non Roman alphabet languages are shown in the symbols of that language, so good luck finding the right one. Of course I'm a huge weeb so I know which one was the kanji for Japanese fortunately.

Spoiler

I Googled it.

23 hours ago, JohnC said:

the third was so far removed from the old story I need to see the conclusion to decide

The latest/final movie improves and gives good closure on the third.

I’m pretty awed at how well it’s all been tied up actually - terrific writing and planning I thought.