IGNORED

Amazon Prime Video

Harsin

8 hours ago, ZOK said:

The subs are normal on 2.22. 

I loved 1.11 (so many new shots of telegraph poles and traffic lights :wub:) and 2.22 looks amazing so far. Cheers @Triple A!

Yeah subs are okay, but there are so many words smushed together I don't know if they're low effort or its an issue with how it displays them on the app.

I think at the start of 2.22 it gets a bit jumbled because you have American voices, which get Japanese subs on screen, and then they also receive unnecessary English subs from Amazon. 

Also it’s happening while there is loads of EVA computer information happening too, so it is a bit all over the place visually.

4 hours ago, Triple A said:

Just noticed that Shin Godzilla is on Prime Video too, is that a new listing to coincide with the Eva rebuilds going up?

Great companion piece movie!  Get that seen as well :)

i've been wanting to watch that but it's showing up as paid content for me, odd.

To save splitting the thread out and derailing the discussion. I've amended the title to let other people know we are discussing Evangelion and if interested they can join the discussion. I'm going to watch the Kenshin films on netflix first before enjoing these films. Hopefully Amazon has a long licence on them.

1 hour ago, Ste Pickford said:

OK, I'm a bit confused by all this.  I watched the Evangelion series on Netlix (Neon Genesis Evangelion, I think?).  What now, there's three films on Prime that re-tell the same story but better / different?

So the order is.

Neon Genesis Evangelion - the TV series (on Netflix)

End of Evangelion - Film (also on Netflix I believe)

There's another film, called Death/Rebirth I think, you can ignore that, it's basically a clip show of the TV series.

Then the new films.

Rebuild of Evangelion: 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone - basically remakes the start of the series with modern animation and some minor differences (on Amazon)

Rebuild of Evangelion: 2.0 You Can (Not) Advance - more remake stuff but starts diverging from existing material significantly (Amazon)

Rebuild of Evangelion: 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo - everything goes cuckoo bannana pants (Amazon)

Rebuild of Evangelion: 3.0+1.0 Thrice Upon a Time - the absolute final Evangelion we double pinkie promise honest (Amazon)

We could probably do with a searate Evangelion thread to be honest.

spacer.png

Just to explain one bit, “Death and Rebirth” is a recap of the series with some new animation, which then veers off in a different direction and ends with a cliffhanger. That’s followed “End of Evangelion” which is the alternate ending for the original series.

There are fan theories that try to argue both endings happen concurrently, because they’re both valid and good and people want a simple “canon” timeline, but it was never the intention.

45 minutes ago, Harsin said:

I started typing out an OP for a thread. But if its easier to just split them off do that.

EDIT: NM, I'd typed so much I've posted it so it didn't go to waste lol.

Shall I move out the posts from this thread into the new thread?

3 hours ago, Ste Pickford said:

OK, I'm a bit confused by all this.  I watched the Evangelion series on Netlix (Neon Genesis Evangelion, I think?).  What now, there's three films on Prime that re-tell the same story but better / different?

I’ve just finished the second film, they are amazing riffs on the original series, just as good and in some ways better.

Although, I did notice in 2.22 they really shortened the excruciating ’Rei and Asuka stand in silence in a lift’ sequence, which I thought was a bit off.

Given that all of Farscape is on Prime and I had good memories of it back in the day, I've started watching it again. It's obviously dated, and some of the acting is very suspect or outright unintentionally hilarious, but what a bizarre and interesting show it was. The alien and set design still very creative and the weirdness is quite compelling.

In a similar mould to Farscape, I've discovered that Space Truckers is on Prime. Because it has Vernon Wells in it as a space pirate, everyone on Rllmuk is duty-bound to watch it.

Also it has Charles Dance with a robot penis which has to be started like a petrol lawnmower.

I do remember watching that whenever it was first on TV. Well, I say remember, I don't remember a lot of it, just that I watched it. And I do know it's got a bad rep. But I think it's the kind of trash I like to watch from time to time (the very concept of space truckers appeals to me). In short, I think I'll watch it tonight.

It is horrendous trash but also deeply, deeply weird and tactile and colourful and itself. I got the Blu-Ray a few years back because I’d suddenly remembered it and it gave me a mental itch that desperately needed scratching. I have no idea how they convinced someone to pay for all that model work and those sets and  everything else but it looks incredible.

I put it in the same bracket of ambitious sci-fi flops as Valerian, John Carter of Mars and Jupiter Ascending although all three of those clearly cost a lot more than this.

Also the robots in it are a straight rip off of little remembered 70s Kirk Douglas sci-fi vehicle, Saturn 3.

1 hour ago, teddymeow said:

It may just be the app on LG but the amount of missing spaces on certain lines is ridiculous to the point I went and watched the last half of it on Blu-ray.

Yes, same for me on a CX, but it didn’t bother me.