IGNORED

Amazon Prime Video

Harsin

11 hours ago, teddymeow said:

It may just be the app on LG but the amount of missing spaces on certain lines is ridiculous to the point I went and watched the last half of it on Blu-ray.

Amazon Prime seems consistently shit for subtitles.

We watched Raiders of the Lost Ark with subtitles a while back and it had exactly the problem you described - almost every line of the subtitles was missing spaces and had the text all bunched up together, and it was very off-putting.

When we checked further, it turned out the movie actually had two sets of subtitles - one in English (UK) and one in English (US) - and I can't remember which was which, but one of them had the spaces issue and the other one was fine. Might be worth a quick check, just in case, with whatever you're trying to watch.

We're watching Underground Railroad at the moment and the closed captioning on that is really overdone, it's forever describing irrelevant things in the soundtrack and stuff you can't even hear. Very frustrating.

I've noticed when watching The Expanse with subtitles on Prime (because the vocals are so mumbly and hard to make out) that all the spaceship names are missing spaces before and after.  So the subtitles for:

"Let's fly the Rocinante over to meet the Donnager"

Is displayed as:

"Let's fly theRocinanteover to meet theDonnager"

Like somebody has done a sloppy find and replace on the whole set of subtitles.

I recently binged "Cruel Summer". It's pretty good! Definitely feels like one of those Amazon/Netflix homegrown TV shows, and you have to roll your eyes at some of the decisions the characters make, but overall, it kept me coming back and had a satisfying, self contained ending.

IMDB

If you want to fry your brain with subtitles, try watching Bollywood movies. They will regularly move in and out of sync with the film so you have to continually remember if what you are reading was just said or is about to be said.

If you want to also fry your brain with a subtitled film - but not necessarily because of the subtitles - watch Superman, which is currently on Amazon Prime. Starring the mighty N T Rama Rao rather than humdrum old Chris Reeve, this 1980 production is Tollywood rather than Bollywood, but has much to commend it. Give it a go - I look forward to many happy hours of discussion of its many amazing set pieces and songs hereafter.

1647345722_ScreenShot2021-08-05at20_24_35.png.815e4d6128d2c770c415b128a4299bcf.png

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Superman-Taraka-Rama-Rao-Nandamuri/dp/B08XWXTV5B/

Seems to be my week for finding weird stuff. You may have seen “The Intergalactic Adventures of Max Cloud” appear in your Prime lists, watched the trailer and “Noped” out thinking it a dumb kids movie.

Give it a go. I'm not going to pretend it's a great movie - it's a hugely low budget B movie. But! It fucking loves 80s/90s video games and has fun playing with the premise of being trapped in a game world.

Best way I can describe it is like if Horrible Histories did a cross between Ready Player One, Red Dwarf and Jumanji. Very British kids TV sensibilities, slightly hammy performances, everyone seems to be having fun. Especially John Hannah.

If it's going to be appreciated anywhere, it's rllmuk. Just don't go in with high expectations.

Some minor swears, bit of violence in the fight scenes - feels like it's aimed at older kids. And us.

They mocked up a great video game in the movie, too.

39 minutes ago, smac said:

Seems to be my week for finding weird stuff. You may have seen “The Intergalactic Adventures of Max Cloud” appear in your Prime lists, watched the trailer and “Noped” out thinking it a dumb kids movie.

Give it a go. I'm not going to pretend it's a great movie - it's a hugely low budget B movie. But! It fucking loves 80s/90s video games and has fun playing with the premise of being trapped in a game world.

Best way I can describe it is like if Horrible Histories did a cross between Ready Player One, Red Dwarf and Jumanji. Very British kids TV sensibilities, slightly hammy performances, everyone seems to be having fun. Especially John Hannah.

If it's going to be appreciated anywhere, it's rllmuk. Just don't go in with high expectations.

Some minor swears, bit of violence in the fight scenes - feels like it's aimed at older kids. And us.

They mocked up a great video game in the movie, too.

I love Scott Adkins and side scrolling beat em ups but had to throw the towel in 20 minutes into this. I wanted to like it, maybe I'm not in right mood for it.

Those American accents though, jesus christ. 

Yeah, I think you have to be in a really forgiving mood to enjoy it. It plays like a cheesy Brit kids show, and Adkins hams it up. Fair play for subverting his image.

I suspect my mental age being about 12 helps. And maybe I was a little drunk and read a bit too much wit into the lines.

IMDB reviews suggest it polarises opinion...

On 22/08/2021 at 19:18, DirkCrisis said:

In a similar mould to Farscape, I've discovered that Space Truckers is on Prime. Because it has Vernon Wells in it as a space pirate, everyone on Rllmuk is duty-bound to watch it.

Also it has Charles Dance with a robot penis which has to be started like a petrol lawnmower.

On 22/08/2021 at 19:36, Alex W. said:

It is horrendous trash but also deeply, deeply weird and tactile and colourful and itself. I got the Blu-Ray a few years back because I’d suddenly remembered it and it gave me a mental itch that desperately needed scratching. I have no idea how they convinced someone to pay for all that model work and those sets and  everything else but it looks incredible.

On 22/08/2021 at 19:50, JohnC said:

In the future, they have square pigs and Psion Series 3a.

Hah, just watched it and spotted that Psion ad right away.

Yeah, it's a trash oddity alright; production team's imagination outstripping the budget. I like @Alex W.'s characterisation as 'weird and tactile and colourful' - nailed it.

Charles Dance was great; you wouldn't have blamed him had he phoned it in, but he played it like the old pro he is.

8 minutes ago, Benny said:

I notice Prospect has been added to Prime. Highly recommended.

I’ve never heard of this flick, but having just Googled it and also currently being addicted to Steamworld Dig, it sounds spot on!

On 01/09/2021 at 17:25, ZOK said:

I’ve never heard of this flick, but having just Googled it and also currently being addicted to Steamworld Dig, it sounds spot on!

It’s a fantastic film. One of my favourite Sci Fi films of recent years.

On 01/09/2021 at 17:16, Benny said:

I notice Prospect has been added to Prime. Highly recommended.

Thanks for the recommendation. Watched this last night and loved it, despite having scrolled past it a few times in previous weeks.

The whole film was great, but I have to say the production design was incredible.  It was low budget, but all the sets and props and costumes were perfect.  Completely believable and seemingly perfectly functional, with loads of character.  The space suits were the real stars of the film.

I'd forgotten how camp but fun Farscape was. Just watched an episode where a character has what could best be described as a "star wank".

The set and production design is still impressive, particularly when it veers into body horror stuff.

Interesting new doc 4 parter on this from the people behind the Fyre festival doc, called LuLaRich - it follows the people behind and involved in what appears to be a massive clothing sales pyramid scheme in the US called LuLaRoe - watched the first part last night and its fascinating stuff how this thing grew and exploded so fast by mobilising an army of housewives to basically sell cheap skirts and leggings.

I've never heard of the story so will just watch out the next 3 parts before googling what happened and comparing to how its portrayed here.

3 hours ago, Gotters said:

Interesting new doc 4 parter on this from the people behind the Fyre festival doc, called LuLaRich - it follows the people behind and involved in what appears to be a massive clothing sales pyramid scheme in the US called LuLaRoe - watched the first part last night and its fascinating stuff how this thing grew and exploded so fast by mobilising an army of housewives to basically sell cheap skirts and leggings.

I've never heard of the story so will just watch out the next 3 parts before googling what happened and comparing to how its portrayed here.

I watched all of this and enjoyed it. There’s a great podcast about multi-level marketing called The Dream that I’d also recommend if you liked this. 

11 hours ago, Gotters said:

I found this doc fascinating, really terrific 

one weird thing I didn’t quite get

Spoiler

Why did the legging quality go down? I assume cost savings but it is never specified 

16 hours ago, Jonnysaxc said:

I found this doc fascinating, really terrific 

one weird thing I didn’t quite get

Hide contents

Why did the legging quality go down? I assume cost savings but it is never specified 

I think they just had to reduce fabric quality and quality control to up production capacity to cover the insane output required to keep the whole thing rolling. Whereas they were more of a boutique operation at the start, where it’s easy to keep the quality high. 

On 11/09/2021 at 09:35, Pelekophoros said:

Chaos Walking is on Prime now. It's remarkably average and toothless, given the subject matter. Disappointing. 

Wish I'd spotted your comment here before starting this tonight. It's spectacularly dim and wastes a potentially good McGuffin on a load of old shit.

Still, I've got 40 minutes of it to go, so it might pull something remarkable out of the bag before the end but I'm not too hopeful having come this far.

Spoiler

Fucking Manchee (Winston in the cast list) had better survive these last 40 minutes or I will be most upset.