IGNORED

Amazon Prime Video

Harsin

1 minute ago, davidcotton said:

The ads are actually not that annoying being a)not that often, b)about a minute long c)varied enough that you rarely see the same one twice in the same episode. Plus it’s £50.00 I didn’t have to spend.

Yes. I'm half way through S1 and it's not bothering me.  The show being designed for ads probably helps with that too.

Loving Mr Benn and Bagpuss on amazon prime, the craftsmanship is top notch! Needs the clangers next as I was forced to watch it on youtube with some stupid distracting logo in the corner. The opening narration was really erudite, way more complex than you might expect for children.

Just saw that the film Hard to be a God has popped up on Amazon.  A real treat if you like medieval, black and white, Russian sf, that's basically just three hours of mud and spitting with no plot to speak of.

It's actually fucking amazing, so I'd really recommend making time to sit and watch it, but my description above is accurate.  It's an adaptation of a russian sf novel, but feels more like a companion piece to the novel rather than a straight adaptation (someone on twitter compared it to 2001 in that regard).  I read the novel straight after, which worked for me - the novel contains the actual story and plot, whereas the movie is just the feel and atmosphere.  

Incredible film.

1 hour ago, Ste Pickford said:

Just saw that the film Hard to be a God has popped up on Amazon.  A real treat if you like medieval, black and white, Russian sf, that's basically just three hours of mud and spitting with no plot to speak of.

It's actually fucking amazing, so I'd really recommend making time to sit and watch it, but my description above is accurate.  It's an adaptation of a russian sf novel, but feels more like a companion piece to the novel rather than a straight adaptation (someone on twitter compared it to 2001 in that regard).  I read the novel straight after, which worked for me - the novel contains the actual story and plot, whereas the movie is just the feel and atmosphere.  

Incredible film.

Brilliant. Been meaning to watch that for ages.

Cheers, @Ste Pickford- I've just finished the book, coincidentally.

If anyone's looking for something much shorter, much more modern, and quite quirky, give Dave Made a Maze a shot. Top tip - do NOT watch the trailer; it gives away too much. Just watch the titles and the first minute or two of the film - you'll know if it's for you by then.

Hah - there was a thread, and JPickford picks up on what might turn you off it in those first few minutes:

On 23/07/2017 at 12:17, JPickford said:

They all seem far too pleased with themselves.

4 hours ago, smac said:

If anyone's looking for something much shorter, much more modern, and quite quirky, give Dave Made a Maze a shot. Top tip - do NOT watch the trailer; it gives away too much. Just watch the titles and the first minute or two of the film - you'll know if it's for you by then.

That was brilliant!

13 hours ago, smac said:

Hah - there was a thread, and JPickford picks up on what might turn you off it in those first few minutes:

I started that thread and I still haven't seen it! Better give it a watch this week.

Did you like the TV show Leverage? would you like more Leverage, minus a couple of characters with other people shoehorned in to to exact replacements, then you have Leverage: Redemption! A new IMDB TV show on prime!

Honestly, if you did like it, yes i'm aware its a silly show which makes no sense, then it really is more of the same, 3 eps in, its just a fun little thing!

On 19/10/2021 at 20:03, smac said:

Cheers, @Ste Pickford- I've just finished the book, coincidentally.

That was great.  Glad I watched it without seeing the trailer too!

There’s a cracking documentary on Prime at the moment called The Street, which traces the lives of people on Hoxton Street as it gets subsumed by the forces of gentrification and Brexit. Wonderful bit of film.

On 26/10/2021 at 20:24, ZOK said:

There’s a cracking documentary on Prime at the moment called The Street, which traces the lives of people on Hoxton Street as it gets subsumed by the forces of gentrification and Brexit. Wonderful bit of film.

A great find, thanks. Very moving.

Spoiler

I think Khadija explains an exhibit in the gallery at about 14 mins in and at 1 hr 10 you find she has died in the Grenfell fire, its a bit overwhelming 

On 09/10/2021 at 09:17, Ste Pickford said:

I watched the Kenny Everett comedy horror film from the early eighties.  Thought I'd never seen it before, but I did get some vague memories of seeing some scenes about half way through.  It was really, really, really bad.  I loved it.

Bloodbath At The House Of Death.

I need to watch this. It has Vincent Price in it by all accounts. 

On 26/10/2021 at 20:24, ZOK said:

Ooh that sounds really interesting, adding to watchlist

• 1 month later...
On 09/10/2021 at 09:52, Gotters said:

Bit late to the party but 4 eps in and enjoying 9 Perfect Strangers, even allowing for Nicole Kidman's weird attempt at a Russian accent.

It got compared a bit to White Lotus as both arrived at the same time but tonally its more than different enough to justify it's place.

Be interesting to see how they tie it up and where it goes in second half of series.

Watched this over the last week, and despite a good start it fell a bit flat for me. Certainly should have been stronger given the cast it had. I'd give it 70%/White Lotus.

Having totally dismissed it for some reason we have got completely into Australian Masterchef on Watch in the UK - its a brilliant show (if you like this sort of thing) and is undoubtedly the toughest cooking show on tv to win - a series runs some 60 odd episodes with 20+ starting contestants, who you really get to know and see them improve as time passes.

Anyway this years season finished a month or two back on Watch and I discovered that the whole back cat is on Amazon Prime - you need to be careful as their thumbnails are very spoilery so I've developed a technique to start an ep blocking out my view of part of the screen !

The last but one series was a covid production with old non winners invited back for another go at winning the title, so its a bit spoilery as if you recognise them in an older series you know they don't win, plus the show tends to invite back old winners as mentors so you're better off going back a long way if you want to watch a few old ones.

Will keep us going til it returns next year mid summer. 

6 minutes ago, Gotters said:

Having totally dismissed it for some reason we have got completely into Australian Masterchef on Watch in the UK - its a brilliant show (if you like this sort of thing) and is undoubtedly the toughest cooking show on tv to win - a series runs some 60 odd episodes with 20+ starting contestants, who you really get to know and see them improve as time passes.

Anyway this years season finished a month or two back on Watch and I discovered that the whole back cat is on Amazon Prime - you need to be careful as their thumbnails are very spoilery so I've developed a technique to start an ep blocking out my view of part of the screen !

The last but one series was a covid production with old non winners invited back for another go at winning the title, so its a bit spoilery as if you recognise them in an older series you know they don't win, plus the show tends to invite back old winners as mentors so you're better off going back a long way if you want to watch a few old ones.

Will keep us going til it returns next year mid summer. 

Yeah, Masterchef Australia is amazing (it makes the BBC version look like a zero-budget embarrassment), but I haven't watched it since the judges changed a couple of years ago.

3 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

Yeah, Masterchef Australia is amazing (it makes the BBC version look like a zero-budget embarrassment), but I haven't watched it since the judges changed a couple of years ago.

that's why I'd dismissed it as the BBC one is a bit shit so assumed it would be too, and the US is hosted by bloody Gordon Ramsey so instantly loses credibility. 

the format is so good the new judges are fine, one is a former winner who opened his own successful restaurant, one is a semi annoying food blogger and the other is a failed restauranteur who if you believe wikipedia and noodle is a bit of a fantasist who came up under Marco Pierre White before legging it to australia and trying to claim indigenous food for himself !

On 15/12/2021 at 22:19, Fierce Poodle said:

That would be a first for a Guy Ritchie film.

I've finished watching Wrath of Man, and I'm happy to re-assure you that it would still be a first for a Guy Ritchie film. You know when a film builds up to big finale and a nice payoff. Yeah, this isn't one of those. More of an, "Oh, it's ending like that then.. great."

Yawn.