Space Jam 2: A New Legacy starring LeBron James, King Kong, Scooby Doo, Gandalf, Iron Giant and Game of Thrones.

Gambit

• 7 years later...

https://ew.com/movies/space-jam-a-new-legacy-first-look/

First images and some other details. Also:

Upon watching Space Jam for the first time in 2019, Lee was caught off guard by the original's "very sexualized" depiction of Lola Bunny. "This is 2021. It's important to reflect the authenticity of strong, capable female characters," the Girls Trip filmmaker says of why they "reworked" Lola, a.k.a. the team's best non-LeBron player. 

Looking forward to the outraged furries outing themselves...

• 5 weeks later...

Here at last, the trailer for Ready Player TRON Lego Movie Pixels Breaks the Internet:

Spoiler

OK, after it gets past the TRON stuff at the start, the 2D bit was a welcome surprise, as I'd assumed that the whole film would use the CG versions of the cartoon characters. Also the basketball star getting turned into a cartoon is one idea they didn't do in the original film. And the Yosemite Sam bit feels like it's in the trailer to reassure people "yes, he is still allowed to shoot his guns!"

Unfortunately, after that they get turned into their 3D versions, and the trailer's focus switches to CAMEOS GALORE. 

Funny how between Ready Player One and this, WB is giving The Iron Giant more attention than they ever gave it when it was first released. :(

If they’re going to do a movie about a kid getting stuck in the internet, my high concept pitch would be that he gets stuck in the 1990s internet and his dad has to use his memories of Geocities and ancient proto-memes to find his son and lead him to freedom.

Not *gestures*.

I don’t know what the fuck either would have to do with Space Jam except maybe they could run in to its web site.

• 3 months later...

This film is going to give us some delightfully vicious reviews:

https://www.sportsalcohol.com/space-jam-a-new-legacy-is-the-fucking-worst/

This is the least funny Looney Tunes endeavor since Cartoon All-Stars to the Rescue. It is worse than the original Space Jam, because the original Space Jam had Bill Murray. Imagine a movie that replaces Bill Murray with 30 minutes.

Space Jam: A New Legacy is not as interesting as a backpack where Bugs and Taz are friends and don vaguely hip-hop-inspired streetwear. Backpacks usually have stuff inside of them.

The most depressing thing about this movie, a stiff competition to be sure, is the fact that no one seems to have had any fun thinking of gags for these characters, for funny turns of phrase or new riffs on classic cartoon tropes. You get the nauseous feeling that all of those screenwriters were laboring to crack the story.

I watched it last night and I'm struggling to even remember it. Which is never a good sign. Its just bland, not funny and boring for the majority of the run time. In more creative hands the idea of all these worlds coming together could have been fun but they are all pretty much wasted including the Looney Tunes. So you have hundreds of TV/movie characters standing around the final game just randomly clapping and reacting like the crowd in a WWE Smackdown game. All of that probably cost millions and 1000's of hours of work but its just a waste. The only people who might get any value out of are the YouTubers who make Easter Egg videos, endlessly pausing and going "look its so and so".

Its not even so bad its good or a total train wreck, its just boring. 1 out of 5.

I’m a Space Jam fan, because of course every basketball fan my age is. I have a pair of Space Jam Jordans (which I wore to watch this), I have another pair of Space Jam ‘Hare Jordans’ with Bugs Bunny doing the Jordan logo. 

Took the boys to see this. First off, it IS shit, and I fell asleep at some point. I mean, I don’t think anyone expected it to be good, but it’s a shame it’s so shit. People who think the original Space Jam is shit miss the point, it was pretty crappy as a film on its own, but everything together and it was another fun mediocre movie that happened to feature awesome live action & cartoon animation and also Michael Jordan. 

Lebron is the nearest thing we have these days, but he’s not Michael Jordan. The thing is though, he is for some kids. Kids who wear his gear watch his highlights and buy his trainers. Even with that in mind, the intro recapping his career was super cringe.

It’s like this film, it could have been written good, it could have been! But LeBron has clearly had too much creative control and no one telling him, sorry mate these lines are shit. There was an opportunity to poke fun at himself while also having a couple of hero moments, but it’s too earnest and the poking fun is still like, eh, meh, the kind of lame jokes you’d write about yourself. 

Even the couple of good gags in the movie are drawn out and rinsed instead of just nodding on their way past as good jokes should.

For example, unrelated to this movie completely - In one episode of Adventure Time, Jake is presenting himself as the liege of Prince Finn to the Fire King in his court and the king bellows “What kind of Prince is he?” Jake replies “He’s an AWESOME Prince.” drawing general gasps, muttering and so forth from the assembled Fire Kingdom courtiers and so on and a little voice says “That’s the best kind.”

This all happens in the space of a few seconds, so easy to miss, but just perfect and funny and then zip gone and on to the next joke in the next breath. That’s how things should be. Space Jam 2 (or reboot or whatever) is slow, pondering, cringey and the story doesn’t even make sense. The baddy characters are lame and unmemorable. In Space Jam 1, they convinced 4 other big name players to be complete stooges and it was GREAT. In this one, there are 2 recognisable players with zero sense of humour - which probably isn’t on them but on the whole production and writing team. 

Wreck it Ralph has cameos by a million different IPs and that works fine. I’ve no problem with debasing other stuff and plumbing their brand and IP, but make it worthwhile. Do it on already mainstream brands who have kids socks in H&M. 

Pennywise the Clown is in this cheering for the bad guys at the sideline with Clockwork Orange droogs I think. It’s maddening thinking someone, possibly multiple people thought these were good ideas. So many possibilities and none of them come to fruition at all.

Do not waste your time on this, but my kids found it harmless throwaway fun.

Saw a tv spot for this and there’s a scene I can’t stop thinking about where Lebron is urging the players to take things more seriously “it’s half time and we’re down a thousand points, and granny here is sipping a martini!”

And granny is indeed sipping a Martini, and she says “haters gonna hate!”

Then Daffy Duck grabs her martini and throws it over his own face. 

Now, I’ve either missed some cultural touchpoint, and there’s a low key humour thread that eludes me here, or this 10 seconds of the film, which will have required multiple people to animate, produce, direct, time it, write it, act it, is of absolutely zero creative value. 

Is Granny saying haters gone hate funny? I mean grannys or old people using hip hop vernacular has been around since Saved by the Bell, and has become so normalised within popular culture across the Western World that our own Queen Elizabeth II did a mic drop. It’s so done, so pedestrian and rinsed that I cannot believe anyone writing that line thought it valid, or amusing, or anything. 

And why was she drinking a martini? Is that something she’s famous for in the looney tune world?

And then Daffy throwing it in his own face, was that just for the physical humour? ?? ????? Is that funny? Why is it funny? 

It’s like the absolute opposite of any good animated series. 

The key to good comedy is describing what is happening for the audience who will almost certainly be looking at their phones and not the show. The Simpsons learned this around season 20 and never looked back.

Not to stick up for it or anything but I'm guessing "sipping a martini" is a figure of speech meant to imply that granny is not pulling her weight. Then the joke is that she actually is. The old switcheroo. What japes.

As for the Daffy bit, they'll have done a statistical analysis of viewer metrics while watching the old Looney Tunes cartoons and ascertained that key spikes in engagement occur around moments of absurd physical action, so throw one of those in to tick that box on the spreadsheet.

1 hour ago, Alex W. said:

The key to good comedy is describing what is happening for the audience who will almost certainly be looking at their phones and not the show. The Simpsons learned this around season 20 and never looked back.

Oh god yes, I saw a bit of a new Simpsons episode where Homer was bemoaning what type of person was steal things while drinking from a mug with Ned written on it.

Okay, that's a serviceable enough quick sight gag.

Then he took out another item with Ned on it…

…then he looked at them and said 'Oh this? This is borrowing'…

…then repeated borrowing but slower and louder…

…then Bart pulled out an item with someone else's name on.

Any hint of comedy that was there at the start was taken out behind the chemical sheds and shot.