rllmuk
rubberducker

PlayStation VR

5 hours ago, PeteBrant said:

At points it's epic . Exactly what I wanted being obsessed with the Apollo missions as I am . At other points it is exposed as a limited endeavour funded through kickstarter . Is it worth the tenner ? It entirely depends. If you are fascinated by the moon landing probably yes . If not , then no .

It's also a team's first pass at VR, created a couple of years ago when the conventions were even less well defined than today. So for every moment when you're in the command module next to Neil, or are trying to use the original controls to dock,...  you have a bit where you're looking out over Earth and just floating in space, or your viewpoint is circling around a rocket: which feels weird.

but as a documentary there are things I learnt that I just wouldn't have done from some text or a video.

On 03/03/2017 at 21:12, Tezcatlipoca said:

My PS VR arrived today :)

Set it up this evening. So many fucking cables!

Not really sure what to do with it when not in use. That's quite a large headset and long fucking cable to try and tidy out of the way without unplugging it each time.

Had to piss around with the PS Camera a fair bit to get the positioning right for the setup.

Had a play with the Battlefront VR mission. Short, but awesome.

Once I get more PSN credit I'll buy a few more games.

Remember the recommendations echoed by many.

Camera at head height aimed straight at you.

4 feet from the camera - sweet spot for tracking. That is unless a game asks you to stand further back like Batman or Job Simulator.

• Upvote 1

Littlstar VR has had an update to allow side-loading of proper 3D VR videos by USB, it's not simple as there is a file naming system to use depending on the type of 3D video you have e.g SBS (side by side) or OU (over and under) full details here:
http://docs.littlstar.com/display/CG/PlayStation+VR+Video+Sideloading

Helpful info from a Reddit user:

I have an OG PS4 ...

2160x1080 (180 SBS) plays fine

2880x1440 (180 SBS) plays .. but it's a little choppy (still watchable)

2048x2048 (360 OU) plays fine

so, seems to be ... if you stay under the maximum video specs ... it should be fine

http://docs.littlstar.com/display/CG/PlayStation+VR+Video+Sideloading

P.S. I use Mediainfo .. https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

to inspect my files first, to see if they meet the requirements ... if they don't, then it's Handbrake time :)

https://handbrake.fr/

So...erm happy times:hat:

I bought Rigs a week ago for £20 and since there isn't much talk about it here I thought I'd give an update since it really deserves a second look.

I'd played the demo a few times, more for the intro and setup than the actual game; future sports games don't hold much interest for me.

Well not to worry the full game plays more like a first person shooter, but with added goals. 

I'm only playing single player, with bot team mates and opposition, and it still feels like a proper game.

The Rigs have real weight and heft, and they're fast! If you choose a stripped out hunter class, where shields are sacrificed for speed, you're running and jumping around like it's quake, and all without any feelings of nausea. 

This uses stick movement, but unlike ResEvil you don't get that strange feeling when you start to walk forward. Maybe it's something to do with having a wireframe transparent HUD wrapped around you, whatever it is it works really well and shows that a true first person shooter like Titan fall would work.

The game recommends look steering, but I couldn't get on with it. I just ended up weaving all over the place when looking for threats, stick movement is definitely the way to go.

There's also a very nice visual upgrade if you have a Pro. Your Rig and HUD looks fantastic, very sharp and no aliasing. Going back to the demo version, which doesn't have a Pro mode, shows a marked difference.

The worlds are impressive as well and seem the clearest of all the games I've played so far. Long distance sniping with the rail gun is not a problem.

If you see it cheap it's worth a go.

• Upvote 5

so, in the absense of per game threads:

Mervils: I need to enable the chase cam, though I've heard it's a bit too fast. I say that because the warp/comfort cam is bad. Real bad. The combat is literally hit and miss, jumping is terrible, and the game's missing a layer of polish that makes you think it's a pre-alpha proof-of-concept. Still, I'm sure with more positive feedback the devs can work on that. For the time being, it's bigger than robot rescue, but missing that vital spark.

Headmasters: Oh I like this, but I need to work on my aiming. It gets the look and feel of being on a floodlit pitch spot-on. And the urge to get three stars is there from the beginning:

Spoiler

Apollo 11: When you read the instructions on the interactive parts you think it's a doddle. I can totally do this. I play videogames! So you go in too hot and miss the docking, or slam into the side of the moon. After a couple of failed attempts you realise you haven't got the right stuff at all, and sit back and enjoy the ride. And then you're on the moon, with Neil Armstrong, who insists on spoiling your photos:

Spoiler

16939459_10154091735011486_7325883630948

NEIL!!!

• Upvote 3

37 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

How about buying a little stand to put the camera on and bring it closer?

Again though, that'd be in the middle of the room with the lead trailing to it.

It works fine at the moment where it is (up on the mantelpiece facing directly down at where I sit, about 7 feet away), I was just surprised to read that the recommended distance is a mere 4 feet.

1 minute ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Yep, 4ft is the sweet spot. Also, you can just put the camera and stand away afterward. Once you're over the honeymoon period you'll find you use VR a lot less. At least I do, as there's nothing I want now until Star Trek.

If anything, since Dirt Rally I play VR more!

25 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Yep, 4ft is the sweet spot. Also, you can just put the camera and stand away afterward. 

I'm sure nobody needs to be bored by my setup, but that just won't work. We have two sofas - I sit on one, the missus sits on the other. Her sofa is to the left. To enter and leave the room (as she'll want to do when I'm playing), she'd have to step over/walk round the stand/lead.

It does work, and the jittery display went away once I sorted out the lighting. I'd just be surprised if many people could operate it at the sweet spot. 4 feet is only 4 ruler lengths - it's very close indeed!

13 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

4 feet is only 4 ruler lengths - it's very close indeed!

I love this comment. It's bonkers.

FWIW I'm usually about 4 feet away from the camera when I play. But I do drag an office chair into the front room.

I remember when I was measuring for kinect, and the edge of the sofa was at the 9ft sweet spot, and I wondered how I'd cope with not having enough room.

now I VR at half that distance, so yeah, 4-5ft seems spot on. Mind you my camera is on top of the telly, at about 5ft, pointing down at 20-30 degrees. And often doesn't pick up the move controllers if they're by my sides. That's bad.

If I sit on the sofa, as per my game of apollo 11 last night, I get a teeny-tiny bit of drift/camera bounce. but it adds to the immersion.

1 minute ago, SeanR said:

Mind you my camera is on top of the telly, at about 5ft, pointing down at 20-30 degrees.

That's 5 rulers and quarter slice of a protracter. Use proper units :quote:

• Upvote 1

Just now, PeteBrant said:

That's 5 rulers and quarter slice of a protracter. Use proper units :quote:

my lounge is 1 double decker long, wider than one though.

1 hour ago, Tezcatlipoca said:

Does the camera actually need to be above/below the TV?

Above really.

If it's below head height there's the possibility that the move controllers or pad will obscure your helmet lights and so throw off the tracking.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Tezcatlipoca said:

Does the camera actually need to be above/below the TV?

It doesn't have to be "vertically aligned" with the TV, if that's what you're asking. For instance, you can have it on a shelf beside the TV if that shelf is a better height. As long as you're comfortable when doing the positioning and calibration, it can be anywhere (allowing for cables and wall sockets of course.)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Qazimod said:

It doesn't have to be "vertically aligned" with the TV, if that's what you're asking. For instance, you can have it on a shelf beside the TV if that shelf is a better height. As long as you're comfortable when doing the positioning and calibration, it can be anywhere (allowing for cables and wall sockets of course.)

Yeah that's the thing. You can put the camera anywhere. Forget where the tv is.

• Upvote 2

Lads PSVR advice.

My mam got it over the weekend, set it all up yesterday. Her and her man have fallen madly in love with it, played it for about 10 hours in one day. They're complete non-gamers bar the Wii, any recommendations for PSVR games for those who struggle with the DS4 (They're 63 and 64)? Something basic but fun. She wants to download some games when I go down (gotta show her how to use the store).

Her partner bloody loves the EVE demo, even if all he's doing is dying/failing. I'll be buying Resi 7 at some point so they can lend that.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Dark Soldier said:

Lads PSVR advice.

My mam got it over the weekend, set it all up yesterday. Her and her man have fallen madly in love with it, played it for about 10 hours in one day. They're complete non-gamers bar the Wii, any recommendations for PSVR games for those who struggle with the DS4 (They're 63 and 64)? Something basic but fun. She wants to download some games when I go down (gotta show her how to use the store).

Her partner bloody loves the EVE demo, even if all he's doing is dying/failing. I'll be buying Resi 7 at some point so they can lend that.

tumble VR (block stacking puzzle games, using one move controller)

keep talking and nobody explodes (print the manual, end their marriage)

Psychonauts in the Rhombus of Ruin (by all accounts, I've not played it yet. I might tonight...)

• Upvote 1

Cheers, I'll get them downloaded when I pop round. Really stoked to try it myself, I mentioned it to her in passing then got a text Sunday saying its arrived lol. PS4 Pro, camera and VR. Quite an outlay but they fall in love with the less 'hardcore' side of gaming.

She's sent me video of her man playing it, he seems genuinely astounded by it.

See this is exactly what we should be hoping for - non-gamers trying VR, getting into it, and telling all their mates, who then get into it.

Basically, hopefully this the initial signs of PSVR doing a Wii.

• Upvote 1