PlayStation VR

do I cancel my farpoint bundle order at amazon

£75

to take

took advantage of the tesco farpoint bundle

£65 (using a code: tdx-wnfx )

Edited by SeanR

I'm still waiting for a chance to buy Move controllers and a PSVR unit in Japan. Bugger all in any shops. As far as I can tell there are only a few chains that are even authorised to sell the PSVR, and those shops haven't had any stock since last November.

Alternatively, there are dozens available for sale on Yahoo auctions - but effectively buying 2nd hand removes any consumer protection and as my first purchase (that I had for a week or two) had loads of dead pixels and kept losing connection I am not willing to risk that.

Gone and ordered the Farpoint bundle too.

It will inevitably end up in the roof with the bongos, turntable ,guitar, drums, broken maracas :(, balance board, dance mat and Stack Light Rifle, but I can't not have the VR Aim Controller in my life. I've really fond memories of playing with all those novelty wonders.

Farpoint might not even be that good, but I'm sure it'll be worth it. 

Are there any other games of note coming out that will use it?

11 minutes ago, Fatsam said:

Gone and ordered the Farpoint bundle too.

It will inevitably end up in the roof with the bongos, turntable ,guitar, drums, broken maracas :(, balance board, dance mat and Stack Light Rifle, but I can't not have the VR Aim Controller in my life. I've really fond memories of playing with all those novelty wonders.

Farpoint might not even be that good, but I'm sure it'll be worth it. 

Are there any other games of note coming out that will use it?

Dick Wilde (eventual uk release, right?)

• Upvote 1

Busted the PSVR out for some non-gamers last night (he remembers a few games he had on the PS1 back in the day, she has never played games), and they were genuinely amazed by the whole experience. Easy to forget how incredible graphics are these days to people who haven't witnessed the gradual improvements over the years - they were amazed that anyone could consider the visuals deficient in any way at all, and of course on top of that the immersion was like nothing they'd ever experienced before.

Also

I got stabbed at the end of London Heist - not seen that before!

I finished Statik Institute of Retention over the weekend and I thought it was wonderful. It's not a long game, but what's there is incredibly clever and it all looks beautiful. I think they balanced it just right in terms of not making solutions obvious or too hard, but still making you feel super smart when you make progress. I also loved the intricate design and tactile feel of the different boxes and seeing what each button did. This is the exact kind of thing I want from my PSVR. A super high quality 3-5 hour experience for around £15. Lovely stuff. 

It also confirmed for me that I'll never be able to play a horror game in VR. Just the section in the :) / :( response room when you're reacting to the different sounds and it plays you a horrible sound of what sounds like a woman in distress was enough for me. 

2 hours ago, Pungee said:

I finished Statik Institute of Retention over the weekend and I thought it was wonderful. It's not a long game, but what's there is incredibly clever and it all looks beautiful. I think they balanced it just right in terms of not making solutions obvious or too hard, but still making you feel super smart when you make progress. I also loved the intricate design and tactile feel of the different boxes and seeing what each button did. This is the exact kind of thing I want from my PSVR. A super high quality 3-5 hour experience for around £15. Lovely stuff. 

It also confirmed for me that I'll never be able to play a horror game in VR. Just the section in the :) / :( response room when you're reacting to the different sounds and it plays you a horrible sound of what sounds like a woman in distress was enough for me. 

Imma try the demo first.

I've got £25 in credit, and one eye on return to arkham (I've already double-dipped on these last gen, I don't "need" it), and the other eye on whatever price dick wilde launches at.

otherwise the brookhaven experiment for the aim controller patch.

Monster Escape on the Playroom VR kind of proved that having an elevated viewpoint and smashing things apart is hugely satisfying, so an actual Hulk game is just asking to be made. :) 

• Upvote 1

Driveclub? Dirt Rally? Forget those, it's time for:

Get in the drivers’ seat of your own customized kart and race against other players. Race through stunning environments, collect power ups and use weapons to gain the upper hand over other racers.  VR Karts is a fun and family-friendly racing game designed specifically for Virtual Reality.

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-gb/games/vr-karts/cid=EP2889-CUSA06711_00-VRKARTS000000001

Y'know a casual racer might be fun for people not into sims...but this still looks awful :P and it's a full price (£34.99) thing too...

• Upvote 1

May I ask what makes it so suited to VR? The video posted above doesn't even seem to have any change in viewpoint, so I'm wondering what the helmet experience adds.

I'm not a fan of Minter anyway (frankly this looks like the same game he always makes), just curious as to what makes it so good in VR specifically.

6 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

May I ask what makes it so suited to VR? The video posted above doesn't even seem to have any change in viewpoint, so I'm wondering what the helmet experience adds.

I'm not a fan of Minter anyway (frankly this looks like the same game he always makes), just curious as to what makes it so good in VR specifically.

immersion is what it adds the game world envelops you. The audio and visual cues to progress feel more tangible and easy to spot once you tune into the "flow" of the game. perfect relaxation. Imagine thumper but about a million times better as the audio/visual cues run at you thick and fast.

But if you don't like Minter games this won't convert you :D

11 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

I'll try the best of anything, but you're right, it doesn't look like my bag. 

I was just wondering what happens if you turn around and look behind you. The camera view in this always seems to be straight ahead.

thats cos it is (so far I am only in first few levels still) :)

Like Thumper - imagine that with more depth and better flow and visuals etc.