IGNORED

PlayStation VR

rubberducker

Is Farpoint not out yet? Weird, I did some work on the commercial last year.

Something I realised last night. If you keep the VR unit on and play a regular game you can still use the audio out the VR headset. It still seems to process 5.1 audio and sounds loads better than sound out the DS4.

1 hour ago, Davros sock drawer said:

I think I might pre-order Farpoint in case the peripheral gets sold out...

Which is exactly why I preordered... You just know there is a nationwide stock of about 72.

2 hours ago, Davros sock drawer said:

I was just wondering what happens if you turn around and look behind you. The camera view in this always seems to be straight ahead.

You see stuff going behind you and then you crash into something because you're looking the wrong way like an idiot :)

If you look left and right during level changes there are 3d cows.

2 hours ago, Clipper said:

immersion is what it adds the game world envelops you. The audio and visual cues to progress feel more tangible and easy to spot once you tune into the "flow" of the game. perfect relaxation. Imagine thumper but about a million times better as the audio/visual cues run at you thick and fast.

But if you don't like Minter games this won't convert you :D

i just want to point out that polybius is nothing like thumper in gameplay, although you do move forward in a similar sort of way i guess.

Spoiler

also thumper is better :P 

This is better than Thumper.

Its like all Minter games, the first few times you have no idea what's going on. Theb you notice that the gates have a trail of dots which helps you line up. Then you notice the audio cue for that enemy , then you realise that the thing that kills you can be avoided by doing that thing when the other thing happens. Before you know it you are inside the game , not thinking, just letting it flow.  

Loving this so far.  

1 hour ago, strider said:

I love my PSVR but playing Polybius just highlights how quiet sound is when playing through the headphones. I wish there was a way to boost the sound as games like Rez and Thumper simply aren't loud enough.

Not sure how loud you like stuff but it's plenty loud for me without getting near the maximum level.

17 minutes ago, DC07 said:

Not sure how loud you like stuff but it's plenty loud for me without getting near the maximum level.

I don't want to be able to hear any fucker talking when I'm in VR. I've heard that buds are supposedly better, but I like to justify spending £200 on my Astro a40s.

3 minutes ago, dumpster said:

PlayStation Wireless Headset 2.0 doesn't fit well over the VR headset but you can do it and it sounds a lot better than the earbuds!

But isn't it still connected via Bluetooth directly to PS4 therefore missing all the clever 5.1 spatialisation stuff the VR box does?

2 hours ago, petrolgirls said:

But isn't it still connected via Bluetooth directly to PS4 therefore missing all the clever 5.1 spatialisation stuff the VR box does?

Nope. Has to be wired into VR audio out.

3 hours ago, Napole0n said:

Use an amplifier amp then. Your headphones' impedance is probably too high for the weak PSVR amplification.

Yep. It's a thing people frequently forget, but different headphones have very different impedances, meaning very different output volumes. I remember being delighted when my last hifi had the ability to configure its headphone output for different impedance ranges, so I finally ended up with a system that I didn't need to turn up whenever I stuck my headphones in, but the average headphone out assumes low impedance headphones, meaning quiet output on most high end headphones unless you've a headphone amp. 

So, is this Minter game any good? I haven't had the chance to buy/play it yet. I usually like Minter games for their wackiness, but at the same time I'm usually quickly done with them because they often get real hard real fast and there's always so much going on that it's hard to follow. Is this any different, ie does the VR help unraveling the clutter or does it make it even worse?