IGNORED

PlayStation VR

rubberducker

Stanley leaping to the defense of PlayStation with nothing to back himself up, well I never.

Don't say you weren't warned, also read the linked article, it's largely very positive but very concerned that unless there's a new camera and move controllers yet to be revealed that Sony will hamper the future of VR perception due to reliance on outdated tech. 

13 minutes ago, Stanley said:

What's that, something negative about Sony from Boozy? Well I never.

Something negative, about Sony, that we already discussed on the last page. A hat-trick!

I can only imagine that his loop between seeing something negative about Sony and finding a rllmuk thread to cram it into is so tightly timed that there's no chance to check if it's already been covered. After all, he has to find the next negative thing already! Quick! No time to waste!

9 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Stanley leaping to the defense of PlayStation with nothing to back himself up, well I never.

Don't say you weren't warned, also read the linked article, it's largely very positive but very concerned that unless there's a new camera and move controllers yet to be revealed that Sony will hamper the future of VR perception due to reliance on outdated tech. 

Yeah, I can read.

3 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

It's also a bit of an outlier. Everyone else has said the Move controls are fine, so you have to wonder, given the lighting and other possible light sources which might get picked up as a move orb, whether that's caused problems you wouldn't normally get. Obviously we'll hear more closer to launch but a lot of people have already tried their tech since they announced Morpheus and complaints like this aren't the norm.

US Gamer - Alright, PlayStation VR is Actually Pretty Cool

Decent impressions piece from GDC. She also mentions comfort of the headset and how it's fine with glasses. Again, she touches on the fact that at the moment VR seems to be good in short bursts. Hopefully over the next 6 months while Rift is out, we'll see more compelling reasons to use the things for longer games than short experiences and mini games.

4 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

I'm having trouble locating this discussion on the last two pages, please direct me to where you all decided it wasn't an issue.

Originally posted here and discussed on the next page (see DocG's post two posts above your own on the next page).

Boozy, note that no one said "this isn't an issue". People said that it was unlikely that move controllers were at fault given the way the system works. And given the variables, there is no way to know if it a genuine cause for concern , or the equivalent of Battlefield freezing on XBone at E3

25 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Sony will hamper the future of VR perception due to reliance on outdated tech. 

I'm not an expert on the matter, but I don't think there is a fundamental difference between the tech used by the Rift and PS VR for tracking. They both rely on tracking of points on the hardware - the only difference being Sony use visible light rather than infrared.

Rift LEDs:

S6q6a5Jl.jpg

Rift clearly has more data points, but I don't think it means Move's visible light system is outdated.

Some more hardware impressions from Slashgear:

I got strapped into the headset, and noticed one big difference from other current headsets. Instead of using pressure from the back of your head and around your eyes, it kept all of the weight on the top of your head. By keeping all of the pressure on top of your head, the front of the unit could freely slide back and forth, to comfortably accomodate any size head. A small switch underneath controlled the sliding mechanism, and was very easy to operate.

I did notice a fair bit of light bleed coming from the nose area, despite having it situated comfortably against my face. It's possible that I simply needed to spend more time making adjustments, however.

Aside from the comfort, the headset feels very solid, and looks very sleek. I'd go as far to say that the PlayStation VR headset is the best-looking one out there.

Visually, the picture was pretty good. I often found text to be a bit on the fuzzy side. But during most in-game activities, the picture was clear enough that any fuzziness wasn't noticable. I was happy to find that the movements of the headset were very responsive. There was no noticable lag when moving my head around, and movements from the Move controllers were also equally responsive.

4 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

You're confusing the headset with the move controllers there Hairy. The PS VR Headset has 9 (or is it 12) IR LEDS much like rift - The move controller relies on the light bulb on the top of it.

The technology is the same in principle. It's tracking a visible data point. The Rift controllers use the same tracking system with multiple LEDs.

eZo5LsBl.png

edit: Also, the headset does not rely on IR LEDs. They're visible wavelength:

b5YB7Uvl.jpg

1 minute ago, HarryBizzle said:

The technology is the same in principle. It's tracking a visible data point. The Rift controllers use the same tracking system with multiple LEDs.

eZo5LsBl.png

Right, so I guess that where the difference lies, visible light for Move, IR for rift when it comes to the controller and I guess the light bar on the DS4 will be used.

So long as the end result is acceptable then it's all good either way . 

Boozy, like it or not Sony is a competent hardware company, they're good at designing gaming hardware, PS4 is a well-designed machine and is doing really well. Feedback on VR has been overwhelmingly positive and will no doubt do well based on pre-order allocations selling out all over the place.

How about you wait until they actually fail before you accuse them of failing?

16 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

edit: Also, the headset does not rely on IR LEDs. They're visible wavelength:

b5YB7Uvl.jpg

Ah thanks for that. This is good news, in as much as if there have been no complaints as to the headset tracking, then we can assume that its not visible light tech that is the problem, therefore move controllers should be no problem.

7 minutes ago, mansizerooster said:

Boozy, like it or not Sony is a competent hardware company, they're good at designing gaming hardware, PS4 is a well-designed machine and is doing really well. Feedback on VR has been overwhelmingly positive and will no doubt do well based on pre-order allocations selling out all over the place.

How about you wait until they actually fail before you accuse them of failing?

I look forward to your level headed impressions in October.

Just imagine...Shenmue; Fork Lift Racing VR!!
Yu Suzuki did say in an interview he was trying to think of a way to bring back fork lift racing but it wouldn't fit with the rural China setting of the game...so make it a stand alone VR mini game along with the other arcade games from Shenmue, I'm sure Sony would help out with it :D

Just now, joemul said:

PT on the PlayStationVR. 

IMAGINE PLAYING THAT!

*weeps*

Until Dawn: Rush of Blood (which I guess will just be a VR version of the original ) will be interesting, since that game has you jumping out of your fucking skin