PlayStation VR

rubberducker

4 hours ago, Max Damage said:

Thanks for the info peeps, good to know as I love to game in 3D all the time. I played Ethan carter in 3D, shit frame rate but damn did my eyes cry tears of joy because of the beautiful environments all rendered in 3D.

Dude the effect of VR is.. Ooh I dunno, about 1000000 times as awesome as 3d on a flat screen.   It's the difference between photos and video, imo. 

6 minutes ago, bcofn said:

Now using a thumbstick for movement isn't really any more natural than moving my head forward a bit but i've had a lot more experience using the thumbstick for that kind of motion and my thumb generally isn't something associated with moving about while moving my head is. Forcing my head to make movements in game in a different way than I do in real life is just going to be grating to me and seems to restrict the experience when it should be adding to it. 

Moving your head forward a bit? What's this from because it sounds bonkers, it should be about making movements that are the same as real life.

Look at the Budget Cuts video to see movement in VR done right. Linked again in a spoiler so people don't keep seeing it crop up.

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, dood said:

Dude the effect of VR is.. Ooh I dunno, about 1000000 times as awesome as 3d on a flat screen.   It's the difference between photos and video, imo. 

That's great news then because 3D on a flat screen still blows me away every time.

16 minutes ago, dood said:

Because it makes you feel. Sick when your subconscious thinks what you're seeing is real. 

That's how strong the effect is.  Turning my center point with the right stick on a controller made me feel like I was on a fast-turning roundabout. No lie. It's horrible. 

Do you mean using a normal pad setup for an FPS and keeping your head still made you feel sick in VR? 

7 minutes ago, Blu3Flame said:

Moving your head forward a bit? What's this from because it sounds bonkers, it should be about making movements that are the same as real life.

Look at the Budget Cuts video to see movement in VR done right. Linked again in a spoiler so people don't keep seeing it crop up.

Reveal hidden contents

That Golem video does. They mention how the movement works just after 10:25.

5 minutes ago, Fury.HD said:

What? No, you do it by moving you legs. 

No for real, you have to shift your centre of balance forwards and your head leads. Try to walk forwards while leaning backwards, it's completely unnatural.

2 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

No for real, you have to shift your centre of balance forwards and your head leads. Try to walk forwards while leaning backwards, it's completely unnatural.

Sure you look in the direction you're walking, but that looking isn't what makes you move.. Not trying to attack you,but that's a really bizzare statement. 

Not looking, leaning. I'm saying that the act of shifting your head and shoulders forward is something you already do in order to start walking. When you stop you straighten up. The idea of large head movements giving you movement controls actually fits quite well with how people move in real life, at least in a broad brush way.

Yeah, it's going to take a long time to figure this stuff out. Actually Kinect of all things probably has the best chance of letting people communicate their movement through body posture, maybe when that tech is essentially free it could work naturally.

Left stick to walk forward/back and to strafe, move your head in lieu of right stick (probably with swivel chair).

I think the way Battlezone does it is your right stick moves your crosshair but not the camera, and apparently that works rather well.

4 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Left stick to walk forward/back and to strafe, move your head in lieu of right stick (probably with swivel chair).

And when you're running forwards and want to naturally look over your shoulder, or at your surroundings?

It's all the 3D space movement stuff that's the fad element with VR. For games it is anyway. No one wants to walk around their front room looking like Ski Sunday Darth Vader, even if they're alone. Not more than once, anyway. Looking under cupboards and shit. So faddy. 

The visual display bit is the money. Can't I just sit down and play normally with a pad, but in a 360 degree immersive world and without throwing up?

15 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I think the way Battlezone does it is your right stick moves your crosshair but not the camera, and apparently that works rather well.

Battlezone is a cockpit game - and those work perfectly in VR - they're basically the perfect genre for VR so it is no surprise that it works great on a pad. It is going to be very difficult to get those wrong as long as the controls and movement feel smooth. 

VR isn't going to be suitable for every game type and gameplay complexity - at least right now. It is interesting if you look at the range of VR games launching on the Rift, a good couple are traditional third person games where the VR element is basically just wonderful camera control with a great sense of depth of the surroundings. Or even VR pinball, which lets you naturally follow the ball around the table you would in real life without having a camera simulate and follow the ball automatically in a static manner like pinball games do currently. VR is going to find lots of little clever solutions to things you didn't even think needed solutions until you try it out before it tackles becoming the all in way to play every single type of experience.

Here is gizmag describing a third person platformer 

Lucky's Tale

Adding VR to the mix drops you into Lucky's lush and colorful cartoon worlds: imagine being inside a Mario game, looking down on a 10-inch version of him from above. It also solves the camera issues that often plague platformers, as here the camera is your head. You can gaze at Lucky as he walks along, lean your head in for a closer look to help time a jump over a spiky log, or pause the game to look behind you and soak up the beautiful environments

http://www.gizmag.com/oculus-rift-launch-games-review-hands-on/42303/

23 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Swivel chairs don't work when your headset is tethered to a PC or console. 

Due to the Euro being weaker than nun's piss at the moment you can essentially get the PS VR for £312 from GameStop.ie. Because they'll charge on dispatch it will involve buying gift cards now though. Not touching it persomally, but it's there.

Courtesy of http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/ps4-psvr-playstation-virtual-reality-312-00-gamestop-ie-2415743

Normal dualshock controls  (left stick to walk in any direction, right stick to turn your body and bend your waist) with your neck/head movements mapped onto your character's neck and head seem the obvious way to go for first person games to me. That's how Alien: Isolation worked when I demoed it on a DK2, that was only for five minutes though, so maybe it doesn't work that great for extended periods of play.

4 minutes ago, robotattack said:

Due to the Euro being weaker than nun's piss at the moment you can essentially get the PS VR for £312 from GameStop.ie. Because they'll charge on dispatch it will involve buying gift cards now though. Not touching it persomally, but it's there.

Courtesy of http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/ps4-psvr-playstation-virtual-reality-312-00-gamestop-ie-2415743

You need to connect it to UK mains mind. Not that much of a problem, but worth bearing in mind.

3 hours ago, Shook said:

Do you mean using a normal pad setup for an FPS and keeping your head still made you feel sick in VR? 

I wasn't keeping my head still, but otherwise yes. 

Weirdly, playing hl2 on mouse and keys was  totally fine. 

VR was the topic of my dissertation in uni back around 10 or more years ago. Came to the conclusion VR was dead unless someone had the balls to make a portable unit that didn't cost the earth, and sadly companies weren't willing to take the risk at the time.

Its good to see that its finally taking off, and in the home to boot. Will definitely be wanting one of these.

4 hours ago, Mr Ben said:

VR was the topic of my dissertation in uni back around 10 or more years ago. Came to the conclusion VR was dead unless someone had the balls to make a portable unit that didn't cost the earth, and sadly companies weren't willing to take the risk at the time.

Uhh, rather than "weren't willing to take the risk" isn't it more likely that an affordable portable unit simply wasn't possible with the technology ten years ago? Look at the fire breathing PC you need for a Rift to get the motion tracking lag down to imperceptible levels. Unless you were rendering a flat cube in featureless space you couldn't do that on tethered systems ten years ago, let alone portable ones.

10 hours ago, Shook said:

The problem is your eyes are telling you one thing ("I'm moving around fast") while your body says otherwise ("I'm not moving"). Visual cues for movement without the corresponding physical cues can be a problem. The end result of all these contradicting messages to the brain is usually vomit, headaches and generally feeling crap. 

Also typical controls and FPS games have you moving in very unnatural ways. When was the last time you strafed at running speed in real life? Actually when was the last time you strafed at all in real life, running or otherwise? You can't just stick a VR rendering engine into a FPS and get a good VR experience out of it.