PlayStation VR

rubberducker

40 minutes ago, Popo said:

Stupid question perhaps but do travel sickness tablets work in cases of significant adverse reaction to VR? 

It's generally not considered a good idea to push yourself in VR if you start feeling sick. You need to stop and take a break. Some people like me can take any type of game (Up to about an hour in my case). Some people have problems with specific control methods. My friend's wife for example can't play Here They Lie but is fine with other games. Here they lie just makes her sick straight away. Some people I believe can't tolerate it at all.

I struggled with full rightstick look controls at first but found by the time Resi 7 came out I was perfectly fine with them. Slow and steady with plenty of breaks.

10 hours ago, Kelthink said:

I'm really tempted to jump in but I'm absolutely garbage with motion sickness. Should I just leave it? I really wanna play Astro Bot!

Edit: Fully Aspel's write-up scares me a little

It's heavily game-dependent in my experience. The motion sickness is caused by a disconnect between what you're seeing on screen and what your body is telling you is going on. So stuff where you're fairly static, or feel like you're sitting down, tends to be fine. Games where you're being whisked around or your viewpoint is changing rapidly can trigger motion sickness in some players.

I have no problems whatsoever with Astro-Bot, where your actual player movement is pretty limited and you float forwards slowly and intermittently - most of the actual "motion" is just you sitting in one spot and looking around, and that's fine. I think it's been very cleverly designed to minimise sickness (and you can see the ways in which they've improved it since the VR Worlds demo that inspired it). Likewise games like Statik, where you're in a single location and don't move around at all. Driving games tend to be OK if they have sensible comfort settings. Even Rush of Blood, which is pretty frantic, is just a roller-coaster simulator basically, your actual "character" is sitting in one place and being wheeled around and there's no huge disconnect between that and the feeling you have of sitting on your sofa.

It's stuff like Skyrim and RE7 that a lot of people find difficult - that feeling where you push the right stick and your whole viewpoint lurches to the left or right even though your body knows it hasn't moved, or where you dash forwards, stop, dash forwards again...

3 minutes ago, Mrs Horribleman said:

Right so I got it all set up and had a bit of a go on the astro bot demo on the vr world thing. 

Seems you need to sit fairly close? When I'm on my sofa it says outside play area until we move much closer. Is there a way to adjust this?

move the camera closer?

you don't need to face the tv.

3 minutes ago, Mrs Horribleman said:

Right so I got it all set up and had a bit of a go on the astro bot demo on the vr world thing. 

Seems you need to sit fairly close? When I'm on my sofa it says outside play area until we move much closer. Is there a way to adjust this?

You could try moving the camera forward. How far is your sofa from the TV?

And in my experience, sofas don’t work too well when you need to look around you. If you can get a chair placed in the centre of a room, that tends to work better.

26 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

Wipeout is remarkable but holy shit that's for several months down the line. I felt sick after about two seconds. That's me done with VR for the day. Staying sensible. 

Wipeout has comfort options that are worth playing with. Reducing your field of vision helps enormously. 

The biggest secret in VR is that sofas are incompatible. I struggled with Superhot  and Batman (which has specific sit down calibration options) and loads more until someone suggested sitting on a stool. You need to be able to easily shift, rotate, wave arms etc and sofas totally get in the way. For example, if you need to pick up a gun from the floor in Superhot the arms of the sofa get in the way. But if you shift away to the middle then the actual sofa also gets in the way. It's counter intuitive that this happens but a stool makes a massive impact in your VR experience.

16 minutes ago, dumpster said:

The biggest secret in VR is that sofas are incompatible. I struggled with Superhot  and Batman (which has specific sit down calibration options) and loads more until someone suggested sitting on a stool. You need to be able to easily shift, rotate, wave arms etc and sofas totally get in the way. For example, if you need to pick up a gun from the floor in Superhot the arms of the sofa get in the way. But if you shift away to the middle then the actual sofa also gets in the way. It's counter intuitive that this happens but a stool makes a massive impact in your VR experience.

You're right generally - depends on the game though. Wipeout plays perfectly fine on a sofa. Superhot, though - has to be standing, surely. 

The one I ordered on Friday night has, surprisingly, arrived this morning. I had a quick blast before stepping out for the afternoon, testing Astrobot. After only the first two stages I can already feel the love, it’s incredibly charming. 

The immersion is incredible, way beyond my expectation. When the big green alien floated up to what felt like half an inch from my face, I almost fell backwards. 

As as soon as the camera moved forward to follow the on screen character though, I felt my stomach turn. The sensation of moving forward when not actually moving was horrible. The more this went on the more the initial reaction dissipated, but I turned off after 30 minutes of play time to avoid complications. 

Certainly still feeling the effects, but not unmanageable.  

Oh god. I appear to have just ordered one with a set of move controllers and astrobot. I’m in trouble. Picking it up this afternoon. 

Quick one. What are the must try’s?

I have astrobot and the experience in the pack plus anything that’s been on PS+ and Tetris. What else would you say is essential?

45 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

Oh god. I appear to have just ordered one with a set of move controllers and astrobot. I’m in trouble. Picking it up this afternoon. 

Quick one. What are the must try’s?

I have astrobot and the experience in the pack plus anything that’s been on PS+ and Tetris. What else would you say is essential?

Honestly I bought too many games too fast, play and finish Astro Bot as it’s incredible but I keep getting distracted by other games!

I love Rez so it’s essential and quick to pickup and play esp if you have had it in the past - I would stick to AB, Rez and some demos until AB has been finished!

On 17/11/2018 at 08:01, PeteBrant said:

@Fully Aspel exactly the same thing happened to me after completing batman in one session . For about 3 days after it I felt really weird and would look down at my hands and it was if they weren’t mine . It went away like you say but after that I definitely made sure I took breaks regularly 

Good to hear from someone that’s had a similar experience! How are you doing now with VR? Do you still get any side effects from playing?

15 hours ago, Kelthink said:

I'm really tempted to jump in but I'm absolutely garbage with motion sickness. Should I just leave it? I really wanna play Astro Bot!

Edit: Fully Aspel's write-up scares me a little

Hey! My write up wasn’t intended to scare people or freak them out, just to show my experience with VR and the side effects I’ve experienced. The thing is, nowhere on the health warnings does it mention “may cause Derealisation/Depersonalisation”. That’s a very serious side effect. However, from a quick browse of the internet, it’s a side effect that many people have experienced. Some seem to have experienced it straight away, others after many hrs of playing. In some cases it’s been a mild case, in others more severe. It also appears there’s already been a small amount of research carried out that’s concluded that VR can cause or trigger Derealisation/Depersonalisation episodes. I don’t believe for a second that the people behind the various VR products are unaware of this. So why is there no health warning about it? It seems more than a bit suspect!

So yeah, by sharing my experiences and others doing the same, it’s letting people know there is an issue surrounding all of this. It’s hopefully giving those people more info about the side effects of VR and also prior warning of what to possibly expect from VR, that’s not being mentioned by the companies that are selling VR products themselves.

For me personally, outside of the side effects, VR has been amazing and totally mindblowing. It’s possibly the most amazing thing i’ve experienced in all the years i’ve been gaming! That’s why, even after my negative experience, i’ve wanted to try and perservere and keep playing. So far, i’ve been alright, just some mild feelings of being a bit spaced out after playing and also some motion sickness from playing Ultrawings. The only other games that have made me feel a bit woozy have been Dirt and Wipeout with the comfort settings off and camera on “lock to pilot”. Still early days though, as my bad experience didn’t happen for ages after i’d first played - Mon 2hrs, Tues 5hrs, Weds 5hrs, Thurs 30mins.......then BOOM it just kicked in. No idea why! Maybe down to the game? A cumulative affect? Being tired? My brain adjusting? Who knows! I’d had on side effects at all before that though. For me at least, it seems the motion sickness issues and Derealisation issues are totally separate, with the later being far more serious than the former. 

Even though I've had the game and PSVR for ages I tried Wipeout for the first time last night. OMFG it's incredible, if someone would have told me when I was Wipeout crazy back in the day that at some point you could plonk me in the cockpit and have me fly around the track I'd have asked to be put to sleep and woke up when it was possible. It just works perfectly. The only down side was I could only manage two races before the funny feelings started. Just climbed out of my Qirex and was fine after a couple of minutes. Seriously one of my most important immediate aims is to get my VR legs. I wan't to play the shit out of my PSVR.

Yeah I think once they work out how to eradicate the motion sickness in these things (if they even can from a technology standpoint) and we somehow get to a future depicted in a lot of films/media, say a Ready player one scenario where masses of people are running around in VR for long periods then some weird mental effects will come into play. A lot more of this talk about derealisation and what is and isn't reality and disorders that thankfully only a small minority encounter today. 

EDIT* As a side note I had what I'd call a derealisation/depersonalization event that lasted several months in my teens after a bad LSD trip (I think I explained it away as flashbacks in those simpler times). It would come and go and was fucking terrifying, who's are these hands? distorted visual perception, heavy feelings of unreality etc. I haven't experienced it in VR yet thank fuck (and probably won't, it is likely very rare and needs long periods of use). 

@Fully Aspel no repeat for me thankfully . I think your brain must make the necessary adjustment once it has experienced it if you see what I mean . That said I do make sure I take a break every 20 mins or so whereas I think I was in for a couple of hours at a time with Batman when I got the detached feeling .