Jump to content
rllmuk
rubberducker

PlayStation VR

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Vin said:

I fancy one of these and the Currys deal is pretty damn good. Do I still need the move controllers or can I just use the pad instead?

 

It's game-dependent, but there's a lot of stuff out there you can enjoy with a DualShock. I bought the headset on launch and only picked up Moves last August.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, metallicfrodo said:

I’m around tonight and tomorrow from 20:30 if anyone fancies getting a Firewall squad together.

 

I should be around tonight. Had some good times with @PeteBrant on it last night, even though it's early days and we're still getting our feet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ll be racing round race tracks tonight but I’ll be on later in the week . Could be fun if we can get 8 people together for a private lobby 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone tried Space Pirate Trainer? Just out today and looks pretty good. I remember seeing this covered during E3 and it seemed to be getting a lot of praise. Currently fly £9.27 for PS+ members, or bizarrely £11.59 for non members. Mistake or automatic conversion from another currency?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I played it briefly on the Vive. Looked okay, but I'm not huge on having to move around too much while wearing VR, and there's quite a bit of dodging going on. It also looked like it would require move controllers unless they've decided to accommodate pad/aim users as well, as it was a dual gun shooter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, petrolgirls said:

 

Very much game dependant: Batman, Superhot, Farpoint, Beat Sabre, standing up. Astrobot, Rez, Until Dawn, stool/swivel chair. Wipeout, GTS, Tetris, Thumper, on the sofa.

 

Rez is a stand up game for me!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kayin Amoh said:

Sent Firewall requests to everyone here who asked. No accepts yet. How odd.

 

Sorry, my Wife was supposed to be out but the do got cancelled so ended up not being free.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How sharp is this supposed to be, visually? I'm finding it quite fuzzy and soft so far. That's with glasses if it makes a difference, will try with contacts tonight I think. And the eye distance thing.

 

Rez was wonderful, once I worked out how to control it - I was using a Move and it didn't seem great til I realised I was controlling the reticule with my head too. And how the fuck do I select game options with one of those, is it even possible or do you have to use the controller for that? Issue obviously being picking up and putting down isn't ideal as you can't see. Played that alien space thing in VR worlds til I stated to feel ill, then had a go at Statik which was wonderful although most noticeable for the lack of sharpness. Lost track of time and went to bed in the small hours feeling like I needed to throw up. VR/10.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Kayin Amoh said:

Sent Firewall requests to everyone here who asked. No accepts yet. How odd.

 

Had one waiting for when I got everything up and running, but I've not got Firewall!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

VR's not super sharp, sadly - none of them are, as I found my short time with the Vive was quite softly defined as well.

 

That said, be sure to do the eye tracking thing when setting up so that it measures the distance between your eyeballs. That can honestly help make it just a little bit sharper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stefcha said:

How sharp is this supposed to be, visually? I'm finding it quite fuzzy and soft so far. That's with glasses if it makes a difference, will try with contacts tonight I think. And the eye distance thing.

 

Rez was wonderful, once I worked out how to control it - I was using a Move and it didn't seem great til I realised I was controlling the reticule with my head too. And how the fuck do I select game options with one of those, is it even possible or do you have to use the controller for that? Issue obviously being picking up and putting down isn't ideal as you can't see. Played that alien space thing in VR worlds til I stated to feel ill, then had a go at Statik which was wonderful although most noticeable for the lack of sharpness. Lost track of time and went to bed in the small hours feeling like I needed to throw up. VR/10.

 

Have a play with the position of the helmet, that can make a big difference. I find you have to position the back bar higher on the head than you'd imagine.

Statik is one of the sharpest games on PSVR, the box is really detailed, so I'm surprised it's appearing blurry.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MrSpiggott said:

 Have a play with the position of the helmet, that can make a big difference. I find you have to position the back bar higher on the head than you'd imagine.

Statik is one of the sharpest games on PSVR, the box is really detailed, so I'm surprised it's appearing blurry.

 

I'll give it a go, I've got decent amount of things to try now and it does sound like it should be a bit better. It's difficult to gauge given these things are subjective but while I was expecting less sharpness in general, peeking under to the TV screen the difference really was huge. The scientist guy's head in particular was ridiculous for it! 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, stefcha said:

The scientist guy's head in particular was ridiculous for it! 

 

 

Ba dum tsh.

 

Hope you get it looking better! Check out Astro Bot - I find a lot of games have a fuzziness to them, but Astro was curiously sharp by comparison to many.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, MrSpiggott said:

 

Have a play with the position of the helmet, that can make a big difference. I find you have to position the back bar higher on the head than you'd imagine.

Statik is one of the sharpest games on PSVR, the box is really detailed, so I'm surprised it's appearing blurry.

 

Yeah, this. If you put it up slightly at the back, it pushes the visor closer to your face. You just need to fiddle with it a bit.

 

When you get it right, the image is soft on the edges - especially compared to 4K or even 1080p output on a TV - but once you lose yourself in the world you forget about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was easy to get lost in the others, but in Statik I found myself looking around for clues and squinting a bit on occasion but not because it was out of focus or blurry as such, just really soft. Similar for Rez, which I'm accustomed to being fairly sharp either in 480p via VGA on Dreamcast and especially so in 1080p on 360 so that undermined the "being there" wowness of it a little. Still ace though, and it seems that in the 17 years I've been playing it I've developed quite a head nod to the beat once the levels get going that I'd never noticed 'til I using that for the aiming :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, stefcha said:

And how the fuck do I select game options with one of those, is it even possible or do you have to use the controller for that? Issue obviously being picking up and putting down isn't ideal as you can't see. 

 

I've always played Rez with a controller, having said that in general menu navigation with a move general works by holding the trigger down and then moving the move itself up/down/left/right. Whether that is implemented in Rez I have no idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have found VR very fuzzy/blurry to the point of distraction esp if I’ve played something in 2D before firing up. No amount of adjusting will get it sharp but if I go straight into VR and play for a few mins I get lost in the world and forget about the PS2 level graphics!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MrSpiggott said:

 

Have a play with the position of the helmet, that can make a big difference. I find you have to position the back bar higher on the head than you'd imagine.

Statik is one of the sharpest games on PSVR, the box is really detailed, so I'm surprised it's appearing blurry.

 

Another post of agreement for this - pushing the bar slightly higher than it would naturally settle on the back of your head helps to align and position the, erm, googles better and brings everything into focus. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think there’s a optimum position for sharpness overall but there’s no question that due to the low res and the net like effect that sits over the top it’s always going to be hazier than a TV picture. I just find that I don’t care after a bit because of the immersion. I would love a version with considerably higher resolution for PS5. 

 

Ive never done the eye tracking calibration. Has it make much difference to people?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really can’t wait for 4 or 8K displays for each eye, with a much higher FOV. Shit is gonna get real when we reach that level of fidelity.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

I think there’s a optimum position for sharpness overall but there’s no question that due to the low res and the net like effect that sits over the top it’s always going to be hazier than a TV picture. I just find that I don’t care after a bit because of the immersion. I would love a version with considerably higher resolution for PS5. 

 

Ive never done the eye tracking calibration. Has it make much difference to people?

 

It's not a drastic difference, but every little helps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone played ADR1FT (astronaut game)? It's cheap in the sale, and I've read it has VR - but the description in the shop doesn't even mention it (maybe as it was patched in?) Can anyone confirm?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, SozzlyJoe said:

Anyone played ADR1FT (astronaut game)? It's cheap in the sale, and I've read it has VR - but the description in the shop doesn't even mention it (maybe as it was patched in?) Can anyone confirm?

 

 

They never patched VR for the PSVR version. And they wont at this stage either.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, dave7g said:

 

They never patched VR for the PSVR version. And they wont at this stage either.

 

Yikes, dodged a bullet there. Cheers man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

anyone need Astro bot or RE7? I have picked up a V2 in the Game deal and don't need either of the games. Both are sealed I assume (not opened the box yet) .

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, parrapatheslapper said:

anyone need Astro bot or RE7? I have picked up a V2 in the Game deal and don't need either of the games. Both are sealed I assume (not opened the box yet) .

 

How much for Astro?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.