IGNORED

PlayStation VR

rubberducker

4 hours ago, Qazimod said:

That knee-jerk response from people (including forumites here) who were put off by a Giant Bomb PSVR stream where they hadn’t set it up properly was pretty special. ;) 

Anyway, I’m still a little blown away by the fact that VR is here and it works... well, most of the time. :P  I don’t own a Switch or Labo but Nintendo getting involved can’t be a bad thing.

I really soured on GB after that. They really just didn't set it up properly. They had studio lights shining into the sensors causing it to mess up so the tracking was messed up. Their fault completely and utterly. Then they just laughed off PSVR after that. They are coming around to it now though, but still, how can you fuck up something like that and expect people to take your word seriously about anything again.

Luckily it's come into it's own now and isn't going away.

PSVR Get. :D

Wasn't a planned purchase, but the shop I was in had the Virtual Worlds pack on sale for €299 and then more or less right in front of me, one of the guys who worked there put one down right next to me for €230. I quickly asked him why it was so cheap, and he showed me the sides of the box, where the plastic straps had cut into it and had taken a small chunk of the packaging off, so he told me it was marked as cosmetically damaged stock. Not a problem for me, I swooped it up!

I'm not setting it up quite yet as I'm at the tail end of a big assignment and I can't be distracted for another two weeks, but on the buy list right now is:

Already Bought:

VR Worlds

Eagles Flight

Until Dawn: Rush Of Blood

Space Pirate Trainer

Teh Want List:

Rez

Beat Sabre

Astrobot

Gungrave

Doom VR

Superhot VR

Operation Warcade

I mean you look up at all that, and it really is like getting a new console. Few quick questions for those in the know. Firstly, any stinkers in the above list? Those are just the one's I'm excited about but I haven't read many if any reviews, just like the look / concept.

I have played on an Occlous Rift before, so I know PSVR will be a bit of step down from that, does anybody else have any experience of the two, who can prep me for what to expect in terms of difference.

I have two Move controllers from the PS3 era, are they okay or have Sony since released improved models for VR? I have the original PS4 camera, but this pack comes with the new one, is there any preference, is the new one improved?

With the PS3 Move controllers, I used to get a lot of problems with drift, sometimes I would find them unusable. Is the PSVR / Move setup prone to the same thing, any recommended fixes?

I bought the PS3 Sharpshooter back in the day:

http---gamemagaz.ru-uploadedFiles-images-ps3-playstation_move-PSMove-Sharp-Shooter1.jpg

Can this be used with the PSVR as an Aim Controller? If not, would people recommend the Aim Controller?

Anyhoo, thanks for any responses, can't wait to get stuck in. I've felt increasingly lost with the tendency for bigger and bigger gaming experience, I'm most at home with arcade like immediacy, so VR seems to be a logical next step for me. :) 

You can’t use it as an aim controller, as the aim controller has the 2 integrated sticks n stuff. It’s hard to recommend though, to be honest. Not enough games for it.

Take a look at the codes that come with the mega pack on eBay. They can often be picked up for under £35, and will get you digital versions of Astro Bot, Doom, Wipeout and Skyrim. Not bad if you were planning on buying a couple of them anyway.

As usual with any games-related stuff - don’t go overboard and buy everything straight away. Give yourself time to enjoy what you have before adding to the collection. Easier said than done, of course.

21 minutes ago, Robo_1 said:

I have two Move controllers from the PS3 era, are they okay or have Sony since released improved models for VR?

I had an old one, and got a pack of 2 more recently and they are exactly the same as far as I can tell.

26 minutes ago, klargon said:

Take a look at the codes that come with the mega pack on eBay. They can often be picked up for under £35, and will get you digital versions of Astro Bot, Doom, Wipeout and Skyrim. Not bad if you were planning on buying a couple of them anyway.

That's really good advice, I'll take a look for that, cheers. :)

@Robo_1 while I haven’t personally played, it Gungrave has pretty much been slated in all the reviews I’ve seen.

I have actually played Doom VR on the other hand but would only recommend that if you have an Aim controller (when it is great).

I don’t know anything about Warcade but the rest are utterly essential.

However you seem to be missing Wipeout....

51 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

@Robo_1 while I haven’t personally played, it Gungrave has pretty much been slated in all the reviews I’ve seen.

I have actually played Doom VR on the other hand but would only recommend that if you have an Aim controller (when it is great).

I don’t know anything about Warcade but the rest are utterly essential.

However you seem to be missing Wipeout....

Cheers. I'll have to watch a few Gungrave reviews. As it was only £12 from Amazon, I just ordered Doom so we'll see, loved the original at any rate and I've just seen there's a Wolfenstein game coming out, so there's no shortage of this style of game it seems. Warcade looks like a bit of retro fun, it looks like a VR version of Operation Wolfe.. ohh, and I've just seen it supports the Aim controller, hmm, that's definitely looking more and more tempting then:

Oh I've got Wipeout Omega Collection, do I get the VR upgrade for free?

Watching a YouTube clip of a Virtual Reality experience is akin to listening to a mate tell you about his acid trip.

Words are wonderful tools for describing everything in our realm of consciousness except for what we feel internally.

When you burn with jealousy, or anger or heartache. Words suddenly don't seem so potent.

And so it is with this clip.

Playing this level of Astro Bot, the way it cleverly uses music, distance, lateral thinking, and haptic sensory cues, I was overcome with a feeling of childlike joy. And at one point, when I decoded a certain puzzle that free'd a captured bot who was calling for my help, I got a bit of a lump in my throat.

VR does really clever things when it comes to wellbeing. But it's something you have to be open minded to and you can only understand once you experience it first hand.

This video, viewed as an observer, merely shows the actions of a traditional videogame. Experienced (play seems like a disservice) it is so much more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgq89QTkcd8

Well, after all my woes with a tilted image that I couldn't correct no matter what I tried, I decided to give it another go and it is all working normally again with a straight, level image.

My aunt turned up while I was messing around with it. Her reaction was priceless.... trying to grab the bars of the cage in the Shark attack demo was amazing, then she literally curled up in a ball as the shark bit at the front of the cage. She's almost 70 so I'll cut her some slack :) She was absolutely blown away though, like she was seeing actual magic.

3 minutes ago, SteveH said:

Well, after all my woes with a tilted image that I couldn't correct no matter what I tried, I decided to give it another go and it is all working normally again with a straight, level image.

What did you do that fixed it?

I've had mine about a month, a brand new V2, and the PS4 UI tilt appeared about a week ago. It very noticeably tilted to the left. I tried initialising the PS4 back to default settings but it didn't work.

39 minutes ago, SteveH said:

My aunt turned up while I was messing around with it. Her reaction was priceless.... trying to grab the bars of the cage in the Shark attack demo was amazing, then she literally curled up in a ball as the shark bit at the front of the cage. She's almost 70 so I'll cut her some slack :) She was absolutely blown away though, like she was seeing actual magic.

First time you experience it, it really is magic though.

1 hour ago, Sie said:

What did you do that fixed it?

I've had mine about a month, a brand new V2, and the PS4 UI tilt appeared about a week ago. It very noticeably tilted to the left. I tried initialising the PS4 back to default settings but it didn't work.

I went through the camera and VR headset light adjustments again. I've done that more times than I care to think about and it hasn't ever worked before.

Firstly I unplugged the VR box and left it for 60 seconds or so. Then I made sure the PS camera was absolutely level by checking it with a spirit level. I know it isn't supposed to matter if the camera is level, but that is the one thing I hadn't checked before, and actually it was quite a bit out. 

Then I just went through the camera and VR light settings. And when I loaded up the VR demo disc, it was nice and level again. 

1 hour ago, dave7g said:

First time you experience it, it really is magic though.

Yeah, it's like nothing before it. Like Kerraig says, you have to experience it yourself. Not one person I've watched try it, regardless of age or interest in games, hasn't been floored by it.

Some of this isn't on PS4 but I've found that especially the case when it uses ip they know.

The Lab on PC has GlaDOS appear for instance, there's a couple of excellent Star Wars minigames.  Every single one of my friends so far has stopped playing said game at the point R2 appears in order to pet him.

Actually that's not true, my brother tried to punch him, but he's got his own issues :P

15 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

Oh wow 4-1 of astro bot just took my breath away. I'm going really slowly because I'm playing the game as part of a pattern of mental wellness. So only 2 levels per week. 

But the feeling of unwrapping super Mario world on SNES on Xmas day was just recreated in that level for me. Or going round the loop in sonic the first time. 

Playing astro bot is a milestone of my gaming life. Like halo or mario kart. It's pure wonder 

Is that the water level?