IGNORED

PlayStation VR

rubberducker

37 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

I admit that I haven't used a PSVR yet, but I've had fun with the Android VR one. How different an experience is it?

On the surface they can be very similar. But when you've used psvr it's very difficult to go back to Google cardboard or anything that you slot your phone into. The biggest difference comes from the PlayStation camera which is judging your head movement. The android headsets use the gyro in your phone so you can look around you. With Psvr (and Vive and Rift etc) it's reacting to you moving your head forwards and backwards and up and down. You really noticed this in games like Superhot because you're not just sat in a chair looking around, you're actively leaning over ledges or reaching down to  picking things up off the floor. 

VR is fantastic however you experience it but the content that you get on psvr and PC is streets ahead of what you'll get on your phone. Specifically Astrobot which is an absolute joy and takes advantage of the VR headset in so many ways. the only advantage I can think to Android headsets is that you don't have the cable which is a bit obtrusive on psvr and you have to get used to it.

7 minutes ago, dumpster said:

On the surface they can be very similar. But when you've used psvr it's very difficult to go back to Google cardboard or anything that you slot your phone into. The biggest difference comes from the PlayStation camera which is judging your head movement. The android headsets use the gyro in your phone so you can look around you. With Psvr (and Vive and Rift etc) it's reacting to you moving your head forwards and backwards and up and down. You really noticed this in games like Superhot because you're not just sat in a chair looking around, you're actively leaning over ledges or reaching down to  picking things up off the floor. 

VR is fantastic however you experience it but the content that you get on psvr and PC is streets ahead of what you'll get on your phone. Specifically Astrobot which is an absolute joy and takes advantage of the VR headset in so many ways. the only advantage I can think to Android headsets is that you don't have the cable which is a bit obtrusive on psvr and you have to get used to it.

The biggest drawback I have with the Android VR is that I have to keep resetting the giro as it starts to go off alignment after 20 mins or so.

You've explained it well enough for me to be convinced.

I remember the PSVR launch when I bought Batman. The title screen has you standing on a top of a skyscraper overlooking the town. I spent 5 minutes just looking around before I realised that if I took a step forward I'd be able to look over the edge at the traffic below. That was probably the first time I'm my mind was properly blown by VR and I've been a fan ever since. The one thing I do notice about psvr is that it's really easy to fall out of the habit of using it. I even got an email from Sony once asking me for my thoughts because I haven't used the headset for so long. But it's weird in that way that when you drink too much alcohol you swear you'll never doing that again as long as you live, yet the following weekend you're right back out there. You don't use psvr for a month and then you have a quick go and it blows your mind again as if you had somehow forgotten how good it is.

In addition, just in case you've not seen my other posts on this in other threads, Tempest 4000 is available from the game collection for £4.95 including delivery. It was an absolutely phenomenal game in VR when I tried it it at a gaming convention but they removed the VR before launch because it went multi-format. However if you play on your headset in cinema mode it's absolutely fantastic, surely the best 5 quid you'll ever spend, and it feels like you playing a VR game just in 2D. set your cinema screen to maximum size and it practically fills your field of vision anyway and the game just comes alive.

1 hour ago, Ghosty said:

I admit that I haven't used a PSVR yet, but I've had fun with the Android VR one. How different an experience is it?

Biggest difference will be 6 degrees of freedom as opposed to 3. So you can move in/out left/right in the scene as opposed to you head being stuck on a stick at a point in the scene. Which is a massive difference. Also proper controller tracking. And that’s even with the tracking on PSVR not being especially good.

6 hours ago, Fletch said:

So me being the weapons grade bellend that I am, assumed it was a bundle including the PS4, when I picked it up the penny dropped. I had to walk around Sainsburys and order a PS4 on my phone pick up from the in store Argos as well. I won't be telling my wife this.

Oh my - that's classic! Reminds me of some of my many ill-considered purchasing decisions (too many to list, but I didn't realise quite how much I *couldn't* afford a PS4, VR kit, and a set of moves when I took the plunge a while ago - my credit card is only just recovering after a long period of severe budgeting).

It'll be worth it though - PSVR is really ace. Get your wife to have a pop at Astrobot: Rescue Mission and she'll probably forgive you for anything, anyway. It's so bastard adorable.

8 minutes ago, MarkN said:

Oh my - that's classic! Reminds me of some of my many ill-considered purchasing decisions (too many to list, but I didn't realise quite how much I *couldn't* afford a PS4, VR kit, and a set of moves when I took the plunge a while ago - my credit card is only just recovering after a long period of severe budgeting).

It'll be worth it though - PSVR is really ace. Get your wife to have a pop at Astrobot: Rescue Mission and she'll probably forgive you for anything, anyway. It's so bastard adorable.

She had a go on my helmet earlier but she's really not a gamer. I think she was secretly a bit impressed, not that she would ever admit it though. I'm looking forward to getting stuck into Astrobot after all the praise it's received here. 

Resident Evil however is never ever getting downloaded. 

1 minute ago, Fletch said:

She had a go on my helmet earlier but she's really not a gamer. I think she was secretly a bit impressed, not that she would ever admit it though. I'm looking forward to getting stuck into Astrobot after all the praise it's received here. 

Resident Evil however is never ever getting downloaded. 

I'd like to see RE from all the praise I've seen, but horror is generally not my thing, and I am a bit of a wuss, tbh. It's hard to tell from the feedback whether I'd have any fun with it or not though - could probably cope with the odd jump-scare in VR, but any pervading sense of dread in that environment would likely see me absolutely frazzled, and I'm getting plenty of that from real life right now.

Astrobot is glorious though. One of those games I'm genuinely jealous of anyone who says they're about to give it a go. Like watching Star Wars for the first time...

25 minutes ago, Gigawatt said:

Are we all letting this get ignored then?

I had a proper snorting laugh about that, which I then followed up with a Sid James impression.

It was the follow up line which killed me

1 hour ago, Fletch said:

I think she was secretly a bit impressed, not that she would ever admit it though.

:lol:

Well she said it made her feel sick, she didn't think much of Astrobot either. I on the other hand thought it was absolutely incredible so many bloody brilliant touches, I've only gone up to the mushroom level but my god it's good. I love spinning round and seeing where I've gone and peering round things and looking down. 

Everybody's Golf was a bit strange definitely designed for the move controller. I'd like a traditional input scheme and just being in the world being the VR part. 

I feel really bad that my son can't use it as he would love Astrobot so much. 

9 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Astro Bot is fucking adorable. Shouldn't have slept on it as long as I did. 

I'm amazed they didn't release any DLC for it. 

I really hope there's a PS5 sequel (or even a surprise PS4 sequel).

1 hour ago, teddymeow said:

I'm amazed they didn't release any DLC for it. 

I really hope there's a PS5 sequel (or even a surprise PS4 sequel).

PSVR2 launched with a sequel could be a system seller.

This has already probably been discussed but do you guys feel a bit weird after using VR for a while? Like you're extra wired afterwards? It's an odd sensation I'm not entirely sure how to describe it. 

38 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

After getting an Oculus Quest every time I use my PSVR I feel extra wired... 

I'll get my coat...

I was a bit disappointed the PSVR was wired but it's not a massive issue.