IGNORED

PlayStation VR

rubberducker

Not essential depending on the game. Most use Dual Shock by default, some offer the option to use DS or Moves (Skyrim VR and No Mans Sky for example), some require Moves (SuperHot VR for example).

Check your library and decide if spending full price on a set of Moves is worth it.

edit: from limited experience with games that offer both DS and Moves, the Moves integration is generally mediocre. Skyrim VR for example: navigating the menus is a bloody nightmare, so much in fact it soured the entire experience for me.

edit 2: games that are made for Moves are spectacular: like @MarkN mentioned, Beat Sabre is mind blowing. SuperHot VR is another example of a game that's elevated by Moves.

There are plenty of brilliant games to tide you over until Moves become available. I had to wait a while after getting PSVR before I got mine (ended up getting them earlier than was necessary when they did become available because I didn't want to miss out, but I still had lots of non-Move games to finish off). In fact it was a nice way to do it because I was blown away by the standard kit, and then blown away again when I got the Moves and Beat Sabre.

7 hours ago, Fletch said:

This has already probably been discussed but do you guys feel a bit weird after using VR for a while? Like you're extra wired afterwards? It's an odd sensation I'm not entirely sure how to describe it. 

I did feel a little odd at first, but it wore off as I got used to it. For me I found myself wanting to stick to short bursts - 20 to 30 minutes, before popping out and reconnecting with the real world - if only for a few minutes. I wasn't feeling bad, just slightly spaced, I guess. Now I can stay in No Man's Sky for hours at a time, no problem at all.

I find the headset not that comfortable. Feels like my head is being squashed despite not making it tight. Adding on that it keeps your face fairly warm and often after a little session I don’t feel 100% perfect. I’d love a smaller, lighter header for PSVR 2.

Re. "feeling weird" - I've had a couple of periods of what people call "sensory sickness" - basically after prolonged sessions my mind was too exhausted to keep up the suspension of disbelief and everything melted into a mess of colour and light. :D It happened once with my first attempt at a Direct Assault in Rez, and also when I was trying Zone mode in Wipeout, but both feel much better to play now.

1 hour ago, David Kenny said:

How essential are the Move controllers for this? I'm quite tempted as it's come down in price, but it looks like Move controllers are impossible to get.

I bought the headset at launch (October ‘16) and waited nearly two years before getting Moves (August ‘18) since I already had enough games keeping me occupied. So you can definitely enjoy the headset on its own for a while, and then when you need to complete the experience you can look into Moves.

57 minutes ago, df0 said:

edit: from limited experience with games that offer both DS and Moves, the Moves integration is generally mediocre. Skyrim VR for example: navigating the menus is a bloody nightmare, so much in fact it soured the entire experience for me.

Nonsense! Skyrim's implementation of the very limited move controllers is genius, but it just takes a different way of thinking. There's a reason NMS nicked it. That said, the menus are the most finicky part of Skyrim, so your annoyance is understandable. 

@David Kenny Move controllers are essential. 

On 25/05/2020 at 12:46, Darwock said:

Wipeout Omega should get a mention but it’s just too intense for regular play.

Does anyone expect the PS5 will be accompanied by a VR redesign, or will they keep supporting the current headset? 

Wipeout: disagree. Set it to internal view where the cockpit rotates on corners, but your view doesn't, and it's incredibly smooth. As it's seated as well, I find it as comfortable as Ace Combat VR. 

PS5: both! Sony have strongly implied a new headset will come out, but in the meantime the new console will support the old tech :)

I agree with @df0.. as someone who had never played Skyrim previously  the PSVR controls are a fucking nightmare with move controllers.  It felt weird to because there was obviously many easier ways they could have done the menus, but as @df0 said, the menus are a complete nightmare and the game itself is really unintuitive . I played with a pad instead and enjoyed it. 

In response to weird feelings, yes I still get that. I never feel ill, it only took a couple of sessions to get my sea legs, but I get a total disconnect from the room sometimes. Like, you take the headset off and you're not facing the direction you thought. The weirdest one is when I'm playing with the TV still on and the sound coming from it. I have a big screen TV and the main room is great for movies. But when I take the headset off the room feels big and the TV seems small.  It makes me think that I sit too far away from the TV  , especially if I play a 2D game in cinema mode. In Resi3 I noticed loads of detail I hadn't seen on the TV, like how the fire spreads and the big head is visible from the stairs before the first boss fight.  I'm fine playing games on the TV but after a VR session it feels like trying to play on a portable from 3 meters away.

And since the move controller question comes up on every page, yes they are good but it depends on the game. They are useless for Astrobot and Wipeout but essential for Superhot. But if you prefer games that don't have you standing up or dancing about (like suoerhot, beat sabre, batman etc) you probably won't find them as essential.

My personal feeling coming from the PC space is that wand style controllers are a huge deal.  It changes "Playing a game on a really, really big TV" to "VR". Then again I kinda feel that about roomscale which PS VR can't do.

That said, PS VR is very cheap and the non-move experience is a bargain at the price paid.  Then you get a move and get a whole new experience again.

54 minutes ago, dumpster said:

I agree with @df0.. as someone who had never played Skyrim previously  the PSVR controls are a fucking nightmare with move controllers.  It felt weird to because there was obviously many easier ways they could have done the menus, but as @df0 said, the menus are a complete nightmare and the game itself is really unintuitive .

Again, I'll agree on the menus, but don't say the gameplay with moves is unintuitive, because it's not. At all. It's a shame you didn't gel with it. Skyrim's PSVR controls for the Moves are really well done and offer so much more than when playing with a pad. The bow and arrow, for instance, it's a completely different and better game with move controllers. 

I’m of the same mind as Thor, Skyrim is much much better with moves than the controller. It’d be much better with proper controllers like the Oculus Touch ones (and better controller tracking) but what they’ve done with the Moves is excellent. I don’t really even have a problem with the menus.

27 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

I’m of the same mind as Thor, Skyrim is much much better with moves than the controller. It’d be much better with proper controllers like the Oculus Touch ones (and better controller tracking) but what they’ve done with the Moves is excellent. I don’t really even have a problem with the menus.

It’s a real shame that the Quest wouldn’t be able to handle Skyrim, as it would be amazing on that platform with room scale and the Touch controllers.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Again, I'll agree on the menus, but don't say the gameplay with moves is unintuitive, because it's not. At all. It's a shame you didn't gel with it. Skyrim's PSVR controls for the Moves are really well done and offer so much more than when playing with a pad. The bow and arrow, for instance, it's a completely different and better game with move controllers. 

Sorry I misread the prev posts.  Yes the menus are awful, but if I remember rightly you have to do stuff in game too, like selecting items to pick up and drop.  The gameplay is fine, but selecting things from lists got really confusing. 

11 hours ago, Thor said:

Exactly. Menus are slightly annoying for a little while but the actual game is night and day better with the Moves. As mentioned, especially with a bow, the extra layer of immersion is something else. I didn't have Moves when I bought it and was a bit sceptical but after an hour or so of getting them, it was pretty clear. You feel like such a badass using the bow and it just works so well that going back to pressing a button feels like lopping a limb off.

I've probably posted this before but I got on better with Wipeout on the max settings (the one with the warning), full camera moving with ship, even rolls but with the larger cockpit enclosure. I actually felt worse when it was on default/comfort.

Ace Combat 7 was fine too and my god that is fucking immense

There's a game called Ancient Amuletor that uses the Moves to shoot bows in a similar way. I haven't bought the full thing but the demo was fun. It's a fixed-path tower defence game where you play, in effect, as the towers. (In other words, you warp between fixed platforms to fire down on the baddies below).

10 minutes ago, merrychan said:

I've probably posted this before but I got on better with Wipeout on the max settings (the one with the warning), full camera moving with ship, even rolls but with the larger cockpit enclosure. I actually felt worse when it was on default/comfort.

Ditto, and the same in Ultrawings.

I'm lucky in that I'm largely immune to motion sickness - I've been seasick just once, on a very rough ferry crossing, and I've never felt ill in a car or bus or plane in my whole life.

That said, when playing Gran Turismo in VR there's one particular corner on the Nordschleife that makes my stomach lurch a little bit every time. It's not the same as feeling sick, it's a bit more like the feeling you get on a rollercoaster. Doesn't really happen anywhere else.

It can of course happen to anyone. Joe @McSpeed tells a story about coaching a professional touring car driver to use a sim racing rig, and he couldn't get on with it because his body is so used to the G-forces in a real car that he immediately got sick without them.

5 minutes ago, beenabadbunny said:

There's a game called Ancient Amuletor that uses the Moves to shoot bows in a similar way. I haven't bought the full thing but the demo was fun. It's a fixed-path tower defence game where you play, in effect, as the towers. (In other words, you warp between fixed platforms to fire down on the baddies below).

There's another game called Apex... something (not Legends) that's fun with the Moves. Bow and arrow all the way, and you actually have to move and dodge out of the way.

The game itself is not that noteworthy, but it's fun enough while it lasts. A dime a dozen VR game with a bow.

2 minutes ago, beenabadbunny said:

Ditto, and the same in Ultrawings.

I'm lucky in that I'm largely immune to motion sickness - I've been seasick just once, on a very rough ferry crossing, and I've never felt ill in a car or bus in my whole life.

That said, when playing Gran Turismo in VR there's one particular corner on the Nordschleife that makes my stomach lurch a little bit every time. It's not the same as feeling sick, it's a bit more like the feeling you get on a rollercoaster. Doesn't really happen anywhere else.

It can of course happen to anyone. Joe @McSpeed tells a story about coaching a professional touring car driver to use a sim racing rig, and he couldn't get on with it because his body is so used to the G-forces in a real car that he immediately got sick without them.

Out of all the games I played and that includes Wipeout, Bound and Ace Combat, no game makes me as uncomfortable as Ultrawings. I think it's the combination of the slow speed and the almost ever present horizon at sea that makes me body just nope out. Reminds me of that 17 hour ferry ride I took from Cherbourg to Roslare :excl:

12 minutes ago, df0 said:

There's another game called Apex... something (not Legends) that's fun with the Moves. Bow and arrow all the way, and you actually have to move and dodge out of the way.

The game itself is not that noteworthy, but it's fun enough while it lasts. A dime a dozen VR game with a bow.

Apex Construct

39 minutes ago, df0 said:

Out of all the games I played and that includes Wipeout, Bound and Ace Combat, no game makes me as uncomfortable as Ultrawings. I think it's the combination of the slow speed and the almost ever present horizon at sea that makes me body just nope out. Reminds me of that 17 hour ferry ride I took from Cherbourg to Roslare :excl:

Ultrawings made me feel so awful I had to lay down for an hour afterwards and even then I had a headache for the rest of the day afterwards. I am susceptible to motion sickness, so try not to push it with VR games. I've felt equally terrible playing the Android port of Carmageddon. 

Yeah - Ultrawings is the only one I've had serious wobbles with. I probably wouldn't be able to play it sober - need a few drinks to take the edge off things, and even then I still have the odd moment (and I'm another who plays Wipeout on maximum VR). (You don't want to be too drunk though, otherwise you might fall over trying to lean on the desk in one of the offices, like some kind of complete numpty.)

Never had an issue with Ultrawings, but I found that it doesn't take long before the game becomes uncontrollably hard.  There's a level where you start in the air, heading downwards and you have to fly through about 10 rings. I think I managed one, once. I find it more manageable without move controllers but even so it still seems that the difficulty is out of place. The whole game feels like a bright, colourful fun , chilled out take on flight, and the first few levels are great.  Then you hit a brick wall and there's no way to head in a different direction to play elsewhere.