IGNORED

PlayStation VR

rubberducker

22 minutes ago, dumpster said:

Never had an issue with Ultrawings, but I found that it doesn't take long before the game becomes uncontrollably hard.  There's a level where you start in the air, heading downwards and you have to fly through about 10 rings. I think I managed one, once. I find it more manageable without move controllers but even so it still seems that the difficulty is out of place. The whole game feels like a bright, colourful fun , chilled out take on flight, and the first few levels are great.  Then you hit a brick wall and there's no way to head in a different direction to play elsewhere.

I've only ever played it with a flight stick. I can imagine it's tricky without one.

31 minutes ago, dumpster said:

Never had an issue with Ultrawings, but I found that it doesn't take long before the game becomes uncontrollably hard.  There's a level where you start in the air, heading downwards and you have to fly through about 10 rings. I think I managed one, once. I find it more manageable without move controllers but even so it still seems that the difficulty is out of place. The whole game feels like a bright, colourful fun , chilled out take on flight, and the first few levels are great.  Then you hit a brick wall and there's no way to head in a different direction to play elsewhere.

Yeah - Ultra Wings isn't my favourite. I almost like it, but it just misses on pretty much every level. The graphics are passable at best. I'm not bothered about the low-poly look - that's fine, but (as someone who used to be a video game artist) I reckon I could make it look about twice as good in about half an hour just by tweaking their lighting a bit. It's going for bright and colourful, but it's actually a bit on the dull side. Flying between islands is a fucking chore, compounded by the fact that (unless I'm mistaken) there's no way of telling which islands have fresh missions available to you - so you can end up spending ages flying to an island only to realise there's nothing new there for you. And yes - the difficulty is all over the place. And I still haven't unlocked any planes that are really fun to fly. I believe there are some, but they're locked behind missions I can't find, or can't complete. Doesn't get a recommend from me, other than in the making-me-feel-funny category.

Bit weird. Everything looks fantastic, but (I think this is right, someone correct me if I'm wrong) you have to play it with a Move controller, swinging it like a golf club.

I'd have preferred a classic three-click interface.

There's a free demo. You should definitely try it. It rather put me off buying the full game. :( 

45 minutes ago, beenabadbunny said:

Bit weird. Everything looks fantastic, but (I think this is right, someone correct me if I'm wrong) you have to play it with a Move controller, swinging it like a golf club.

There's a free demo. You should definitely try it. It rather put me off buying the full game. :( 

Yeah I tried it the other night and you either need a move or you can use your standard controller swinging it like a club, I'd definitely prefer a traditional method. 

4 hours ago, beenabadbunny said:

The demo that doesn’t actually let you hit the ball into a hole? Or did they update it to actually show off the game?

Well I couldn't resist the mega pack at the current offer price, that's crazy value for money to jump on the VR wagon.  I'm really looking forward to Astrobot and Skyrim.  Some of the FPS games with the aim controller are also very tempting - that's the stuff of my childhood dreams.

Farpoint with the Aim controller is a lot of fun. Doom VFR actually becomes playable with it as well*, and is great, as is Borderlands. The only issue is after having a perfect setup for it initially I now get an annoying amount of drift on anything I play on it.

*okay it’s playable with the pad but that seems to defeat the point of it.

On 30/05/2020 at 09:42, moosegrinder said:

I managed to get a boxed Aim Controller from crime generator for 14 quid. They thought it was like those old Ps3 move holders shaped like guns so I'm looking for Farpoint in the sale I think.

Wait, what? Is Cash Converters back open where you live? 

5 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

The one near me is Cash Generator but I have seen a cash converters somewhere in the Midlands. Probably franchised.

Fair, although the point I was going for was more about the shop being open. 

Curiosity led me to P---Hub last night (purely for research purposes) and the VR stuff doesn't work but my god having the videos in cinema mode are something else. Definitely a step up from my phone, and when I finished there was a cup of tea waiting for me.

Anyway, is Gran Turismo worth getting for the VR mode? I played that Luge demo last night and that was a bit of a headfuck.

Also played the London gangster demo thing and the section in the van was bloody awesome but the rest was a sub par Lock Stock with not much interaction.

PSVR is ace!

4 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Curiosity led me to P---Hub last night (purely for research purposes) and the VR stuff doesn't work but my god having the videos in cinema mode are something else. Definitely a step up from my phone, and when I finished there was a cup of tea waiting for me.

Anyway, is Gran Turismo worth getting for the VR mode? I played that Luge demo last night and that was a bit of a headfuck.

Also played the London gangster demo thing and the section in the van was bloody awesome but the rest was a sub par Lock Stock with not much interaction.

PSVR is ace!

Obviously I haven't tried this but apparently you have to download on a PC and transfer said files...

11 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Depends what you're into. The PS4 isn't powerful enough to drive the VR and simulate a whole track full of cars at the same time, so you're limited to solo time trials, or 1v1 against a single AI car. Doesn't make a difference if you have a PS4 Pro or not.

With that said, just driving in VR is still wonderful and if you have a steering wheel, you should absolutely get GT Sport. It's not even very dear these days.

1 minute ago, beenabadbunny said:

Depends what you're into. The PS4 isn't powerful enough to drive the VR and simulate a whole track full of cars at the same time, so you're limited to solo time trials, or 1v1 against a single AI car. Doesn't make a difference if you have a PS4 Pro or not.

With that said, just driving in VR is still wonderful and if you have a steering wheel, you should absolutely get GT Sport. It's not even very dear these days.

Cheers, I think it would be great in cinema mode anyway and it's been a while since I played a GT game. I'll see if it's in the sale on the 3rd.

6 minutes ago, beenabadbunny said:

I wonder if magically on PS5 the VR mode will suddenly be the whole game.

6 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Cheers, I think it would be great in cinema mode anyway and it's been a while since I played a GT game. I'll see if it's in the sale on the 3rd.

Yes, I should have said that in my post. It is great, and it's still easier/more immersive in cinema mode than it is even on a large TV.

26 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Couple of things:

1) playing Beat Saber in this weather is a fucking stupid idea.

2) the 650m of movement level can go and fuck itself.

I love Beat Saber but I stopped playing the campaign missions due to those kind of goals, the one for me was the minimal movement challenges.

I just go through the playlists and have a great time doing that and yeah, not in this weather :)

1 hour ago, moosegrinder said:

Couple of things:

1) playing Beat Saber in this weather is a fucking stupid idea.

2) the 650m of movement level can go and fuck itself.

You can cheese those ones by just waggling the wrist of the saber that doesn’t have anything directly in front of it. Yeah I’m sure it’s a challenge to do properly and is trying to teach you a better scoring technique but like you say it’s not fun.

1 hour ago, merrychan said:

I love Beat Saber but I stopped playing the campaign missions due to those kind of goals, the one for me was the minimal movement challenges.

I just go through the playlists and have a great time doing that and yeah, not in this weather :)

This exactly. Stop playing the campaign when you start hating it. I like the occasional quirky optional achievement or two that get you to play differently, but to lock progress down to doing really well using sub-optimal play is just daft. Better off without it, and there's loads of fun to be had just playing the tracks you like hunting down better ranks.

45 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

You can cheese those ones by just waggling the wrist of the saber that doesn’t have anything directly in front of it. Yeah I’m sure it’s a challenge to do properly and is trying to teach you a better scoring technique but like you say it’s not fun.

Yeah, the problem is I only have rhythm if there's rhythm (as in to the music that's playing) so arbitrarily waving my left arm (in particular for some reason) means I just fuck everything up. It's a lot more difficult than I expected.