PlayStation VR

Slightly relatedly in the current climate, be very careful if you've got any bottles of hand sanitiser in your car. The gel acts as a magnifier and can set fire to your upholstery, and alcohol fumes have a very low flash point so they'll catch fire very easily if there's an ignition source.

• 2 weeks later...

I watched a playthrough of it, it does spam a lot of near identical "Obstacle course" sections in the way of actual gameplay but for the right price it looks like a pretty good "Be" iron man game.

Apparently there is a Paper Beast demo available now on the store.

Need to get back into my PSVR and catch up on all the games that have come out for it. Haven't used it since Blood and Truth as it's a cable nightmare due to the version 1 HDR problem and it's also been too hot to play it.

• Upvote 1

I got a really nasty eye infection recently and have lost the sight in my right eye, little hope of getting it back either. It sucks in every way possible but also that I can't use VR anymore, haven't even thought about trying. I'm gonna miss the Star Wars stuff that's coming now.

• Empathy 15

That can happen just from an infection?? That’s awful to hear. Fingers crossed for you mate.

You can surely still enjoy VR, it just wouldn’t show the 3D effect, right? Or is it not recommended for the sake of protecting your eyes?

Yeah, @dave7g you can still play VR, plenty of people with vision only in one eye still enjoy it and find it just as amazing.

Really sorry about the infection, hope it does get better.

• Upvote 3
On 08/07/2020 at 09:57, jon_cybernet said:

Anyone tried the new Iron Man game?

Yeah, I've got it but I've not had much time to spend with it yet. I've basically played everything you get in the demo and an extra training section. I'm finding it takes a while for movement and the various actions to become intuitive. It's great at making you feel like Iron Man though, which I guess was their priority. I'm looking forward to getting back to it, but I am getting increasingly frustrated at VR games which spend so long on story and exposition.

I'm stood in my living room, wearing a chunky headset, holding two, brightly lit novelty dildos. Don't have me hanging around listening to characters waffle, VR games should throw you into the action at the earliest opportunity and keep you there. I'm a fan of story driven games and I have no problem seeing them become a fixture of VR, but limit cut scenes and the like to the absolute bare minimum, tell the player the things you need to tell them as they're engaged in some sort of activity. I just find it so frustrating when I'm all geed up for some physical activity and instead I'm stood silently for five or ten minutes. When that helmet goes on, I expect to be in the action from the off.

• Upvote 1

Exactly. Blood and Truth contains some of the best VR moments on the PS4 , but the cut scenes go on for ages and it becomes more like a VR demo than a game.  I really enjoyed it but could not be bothered with a second playthrough. Mission 17 is amazing, but there's so much dialogue it is really off-putting. 

• Upvote 1
9 hours ago, Thor said:

Yeah, @dave7g you can still play VR, plenty of people with vision only in one eye still enjoy it and find it just as amazing.

That's awesome news as my youngest son can only see out of one eye and I thought he'd have to miss out on something his big brother could enjoy. 

7 minutes ago, Fletch said:

That's awesome news as my youngest son can only see out of one eye and I thought he'd have to miss out on something his big brother could enjoy. 

Coming from someone who has been monocular all my life, I bought PSVR on day one, and I've never ever had any problems with it.

In fact, I think I benefit from not getting the sickness some people have got.  

Any questions just shout x

• Upvote 6
On 14/07/2020 at 09:18, Thor said:

Thanks everyone. It's actually a parasite that came through water pipes and it's sole job is to destroy my cornea, which it has pretty much done. It's gruesome and I'll be on all sorts of drops every 2 hours for at least 3 months till it's gone, even then I'll have no vision in it most likely. My good eye is strained now from doing all the work so it's a little worse than it used to be.

I tried Skyrim with VR since. It's playable but the lack of 3D is devastating. I'll still be able to play Star Wars Squadrons though, I think a cockpit view mightn't be as noticeable. If not at least it's playable out of VR too.

• Upvote 6
On 16/07/2020 at 20:18, dave7g said:

Thanks everyone. It's actually a parasite that came through water pipes and it's sole job is to destroy my cornea, which it has pretty much done.

I had to google this and now I wish I hadn’t, as it seems like there is not a lot you can do preventatively (maybe avoid water entirely?) and it’s going to make me ultra-paranoid. Ignorance was bliss.

Do you wear contact lenses dave7g?

9 hours ago, Darwock said:

I had to google this and now I wish I hadn’t, as it seems like there is not a lot you can do preventatively (maybe avoid water entirely?) and it’s going to make me ultra-paranoid. Ignorance was bliss.

Do you wear contact lenses dave7g?

Never have which is the weird thing. First thing everyone on the doctor's team asked me too. Just unlucky I guess, as usual.

Spent a good bit longer on Iron Man now. It's good and after the first two levels the controls really start to click.

The levels themselves are largely set out as open sky arenas, in which you're mostly tasked with shooting down waves of drones, protecting things and occasionally interacting with the environment to prevent some sort of disaster.

The presentation is slick and the game absolutely makes you feel like you're Iron Man, particularly in how you fly around the place using your hand thrusters. The music is top notch too.

Where the game falls down is the padding. The story sections are presented nicely, feature the usual range of interactive gimmicks but they drag on soooo much. Exacerbating this is the ungodly load times. The opening load time must fall between the 2 - 3 minutes and subsequent load times around the minute mark.

As I said earlier, when you're playing VR, you really want to be in the action as fast as possible, the load times and excessive story sections do much to undo the good work the developer has done when you actually are in the thick of the action.

In addition to the story missions, there's opportunities to upgrade your suit using many of the same interfaces as Tony Stark uses in the film and numerous time trials you can practice in.

Anyway, overall no regrets. It has its drawbacks but when it's good it's really good and worth the regrettable trudge the game forces you to plough through before getting to the good stuff.

• Upvote 1

Bloody hell! I just tried the Wipeout demo and I think I need a bit of a sit down, that definitely gave me the VR motion sickness. It was bloody amazing though I'm not sure I could play it for any length of time however. 

I was the same and am highly susceptible to motion sickness in general, both IRL and in VR. However, I did amazingly manage to build up my Wipeout VR tolerance and was eventually able to play it for several hours at a time, which I would never have thought possible.

In order to build up this tolerance I would open up a time trial and tap the accelerator just a little bit at a time, which allowed me to very slowly travel a couple of yards at a time. Really, I just wanted to crane my neck and look around at the futuristic setting going on outside my craft and would have been perfectly happy just doing that for a bit, but gradually I was able to travel further distances, getting quicker as I did so, until I was able to complete an entire lap comfortably before moving on to racing proper.

Try giving that process a go whenever you next play. Always remember to stop playing the very moment you begin to feel even slightly strange. You can’t just power through it, trying to do so is a really bad idea. It’s all about little short increments at a time.

I haven’t played Wipeout in VR for over a year and no doubt my tolerance will have since dropped off a cliff. I’d have to go through the above process again I’m sure, but it’s really worth it. I keep meaning to go back to it, but I’m not really up for putting on the headset during the warmer and sunnier months.

• Upvote 3

Yeah - Wipeout was one of the trickier ones. After the first session was a bit wobbly, I next played it mildly drunk, and that helped enormously - really took the edge off. I shortly had all the comfort aids turned off too. Well worth persevering with - it's properly ace!

Anyone else playing Crisis VRigade 2? It's an absolutely stellar sequel to the original.

It's very similar in structure to the first game. You get three levels in which you have to clear each section of bad guys in a set time limit.

The graphics have been given a huge overhaul this time out and the motion tracking is amongst the best I've experienced.

The game also introduces bosses along with permanent and temporary upgrades, which you can purchase using an in-game currency which you earn through repeated play-throughs. 

Anyway, it's a no-brainer if you enjoyed the first game, it's more varied, plays better, looks and sounds better and the withering difficulty of the first game has been eased enough to give you a fighting chance.

Be ready for a good leg workout too, I've literally found myself kneeling down to use cover before semi launching myself across the carpet (Point Break style :lol:) to get the shot I need. I must look horrendous IRL but the game really does pull you in, especially towards the end of a level where the counter ticks close to zero and the game is throwing everything it's got at you.

The game is £15.99, which is a jump from the super cheap price of the first game, but there seems plenty of bang for your buck here. There's an online co-op mode launching this summer but there's no platinum trophy, which does make the unlockable, one shot and you're dead, "hell mode" slightly less enticing.

• Upvote 2

Still trying to get off the first couple of screens on the first game. It’s hard as nails! Not the virtua cop homage I was expecting, at all

14 hours ago, MarkN said:

Yeah - Wipeout was one of the trickier ones. After the first session was a bit wobbly, I next played it mildly drunk, and that helped enormously - really took the edge off. I shortly had all the comfort aids turned off too. Well worth persevering with - it's properly ace!

Use the comfort settings too, gradually decreasing them over a few weeks and you will be fine. The best advice I got was from here though - lean into the corners like you’re on a motorcycle. It helps massively with the weird feeling in your stomach.

11 hours ago, SeanR said:

Still trying to get off the first couple of screens on the first game. It’s hard as nails! Not the virtua cop homage I was expecting, at all

It is tough but are you playing with all the latest patches? They did ease the difficulty by a good chunk in later updates of the game. When I first got it, a victory meant getting off the first screen, it was nuts.

Oh I forgot to add that both games have Aim support too.