PlayStation VR

rubberducker

Sony are being shy about tech details which is telling.. Any one that thinks this will be on par with oculus rift consumer release is mental.

Quotes :

When will it come out? Framerate and latency aims? They won't answer. "Highest framerate we can get, lowest latency we can get," they say, jokingly. "Coming out as soon as possible."

Component: Processor unit, head-mounted unit

Display Method: LCD

Panel Size: 5 inches

Panel Resolution: 1920×RGB×1080 (960×RGB×1080 per eye)

Field of View: 90 degrees

Sensors: Accelerometer, Gyroscope

Connection interface: HDMI + USB

Function: 3D audio, Social Screen

Motion sampling is at 1000Hz according to the conference.

Hmm, those specs don't look too good actually. Especially the narrow FOV would be like being immersed in a letterbox or something. I guess you only know when you try it out for real, but I'm a bit apprehensive at a device that shows relatively low resolution imagery in a narrow field of vision on relatively low specced hardware.

To be fair to both Sony and Microsoft, so far the next gen has managed to create the emotion of ennui like none that went before.

I'm still excited about this shiny new gen! Okay, so my favourite game by far at the moment is Dark Souls 2 on the PS3, but still - the potential is there. And who knows what this fancy new VR stuff will add to it all.

Hmm, those specs don't look too good actually. Especially the narrow FOV would be like being immersed in a letterbox or something. I guess you only know when you try it out for real, but I'm a bit apprehensive at a device that shows relatively low resolution imagery in a narrow field of vision on relatively low specced hardware.

Get an Oculus when it comes out, grab a new GPU along with it if needs be - problem solved ;)