rllmuk
Comrade

Silicon Valley

Thought it was good, especially Gilfoyle's contacts, Big Head popping up and

Spoiler

Jared's three letters. Not forgetting Richard's callback to "This guy fucks" as he apologises to Jared.

Still... The whole fridge thing felt like a massive Deus Ex Machina rather than a solid plot twist.

• Upvote 1

I've been enjoying this but I have no idea where it can really go from here. Each season has basically been the same as the last. They come up with an idea, it goes well, they fuck things up, then something comes up last minute to save them. Really needs some new ideas.

Finished it all of last night and the plot just keeps being rehashed. I've enjoyed it don't get me wrong but i just don't think this series has been as interesting as previous ones.

If they are planning 2 more seasons then fair enough - i'll more than likely watch them, but they really need to come up with some more interesting storylines.

They're on the 'infinite seasons' treadmill, where you don't really make any story progress or character development, but you do have to make the scenarios more cartoony and outlandish to outdo the previous series.

The jokes are still good enough to make it work, but more characters grate on me than don't at this point.

Anyone been watching the new season of this?

This weeks episode was superb.

Certainly the highlight being Gilfoyle’s use of Napalm Death’s ‘You Suffer’ (the song is actually 1.3 seconds long!) to notify him of a fluctuation in Bitcoin was absolutely brilliant. 

Not seen any this season, thanks for the heads up.  

Since I have had Netflix I have stopped using PB, where can I watch this in the UK?

9 hours ago, Mr Cochese said:

Sky/NowTV. Think it goes out on Fridays, so they have one episode so far.

Thursdays on Sky Atlantic, 10:15pm

Caught up with the first episode of season 5, Sliceline guy is a major douchebag and loving Qian Yang's attempts to get

Spoiler

Erlich Bachman declared legally dead

This goes from strength to strength, even without TJ Miller as Bachman.

The Napalm Death alert was so funny.

I hate it when I end up being "that twat" but I just didn't really get that into any of the episodes so far this season, and after I caught up I was thinking that maybe this show had passed its peak. 

But everyone in here seems very enthusiastic so maybe its just me being miserable. 

Richard just seems to be getting more and more dislikeable, and I realise this is absolutely intended and is part of the storytelling. But the old "take a nice guy and turn him into a bastard" doesn't work for every character like it does for Walter White. 

I actually put the first few episodes of the first season on again, for my first repeat watch since they originally aired, after I watched the most recent season 5 episode. I far preferred Richard when he was a bumbling, panic-ridden shambles. I totally get that we are supposed to be seeing him evolving from a lowly geek to a successful tech CEO but it's just not getting the mix of subtlety and character growth right. 

Quin Yang is awesome, though. He's a character that's actually developed into a cunt in an enjoyable way. In the first season basically his only joke is that he doesn't understand anyone. 

It might be a commentary about decision making in the real Silicon Valley, but the roadblocks and celebrations in the show are all so illogical and arbitrary that they've stopped getting a reaction out of me.

"Oh, Jian Yang's got the house? Oh, ok."

"Oh, the devs have all quit because they don't respect a really good dev? Oh, ok."

"Oh, they've hit some wonderful deux ex machina milestone and the success music is welling? Oh, ok."

That said, Jared is obviously gold. Just like Ron Swanson in Parks and Rec, or Capt. Holt in Brooklyn Nine Nine, the key is the right quantity of underexposure.

I have to admit this is one of those guilty pleasures of a show i do enjoy so much.

I binged three seasons worth to catch up on Sky, and i don't regret it at all.

Although it has started to get a bit silly with the whole "we fucked up, were doomed, oh wait a far fetched silver lining has appeared" format that seems to happen at the end of each season there are enough laughs to keep me coming back to it week to week.

And it maybe worth a trip over to reedit for you Jared fans as there is some truly fucked up theories about him over there well worth a read especially as some are due to the current Jian Yang situation. 

10 hours ago, The Eagle Lord said:

I have to admit this is one of those guilty 

And it maybe worth a trip over to reedit for you Jared fans as there is some truly fucked up theories about him over there well worth a read especially as some are due to the current Jian Yang situation. 

What kind of stuff?

I've been binging the shit out of this for the last few days, just nearing the end of S3. It's so bloody good.

Erlich is an absolute boss - I thought he'd be the usual selfish, useless stoner who fucks things up for everyone by being a loud-mouthed moron but he's awesome. That scene where he tells the estate agent to fuck off and gets his coding on is immensely satisfying. 

Richard, on the other had, is a complete dick. A real asshole.

Got to try to blaze through the rest of it before S5 vanishes from NowTV so I don't have to source it somewhere else.

This latest series just wasn't as good, I don't know if they have different writers or something but it seemed to be missing the genuine tech/geek jokes that made it special. For example when Richard ended up ruining a relationship due to his girl using space instead of tab, I found that hilarious. In and of itself it's kind of a lame joke but as a tech geek I found it hilarious. This series however I felt the intended laughs came from casual racism (Jian Yang) who actually is quite funny in his deadpan, don't give a fuck approach but the way they portrayed him and the other events in China as sweat shop factories and just base racial stereotypes didn't sit well with me. As for the pied piper crew the jokes were Richard puking (slapstick/gross out humour) and being ineffectual as a leader, Gilfoyle who usually provides much humour reduced to a lame bitcoin joke and his competitive relationship with Dinesh who again was just portrayed as an idiot with serious self confidence issues. It's like it was written by the writers of the big bang theory in contrast to earlier series. A disappointment for me as it was one of the few American comedies I enjoyed. I don't find many American comedies funny as it's usually just people shouting at each other like It's All Sunny for example. The exceptions being Seinfeld, Curb and this up until the latest series.

Sorry if this is an incoherent rant I'm a bit pissed. What the fuck happened to Erlich?

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

On 23 June 2018 at 00:31, Minion said:

This latest series just wasn't as good, I don't know if they have different writers or something but it seemed to be missing the genuine tech/geek jokes that made it special. For example when Richard ended up ruining a relationship due to his girl using space instead of tab, I found that hilarious. In and of itself it's kind of a lame joke but as a tech geek I found it hilarious. This series however I felt the intended laughs came from casual racism (Jian Yang) who actually is quite funny in his deadpan, don't give a fuck approach but the way they portrayed him and the other events in China as sweat shop factories and just base racial stereotypes didn't sit well with me. As for the pied piper crew the jokes were Richard puking (slapstick/gross out humour) and being ineffectual as a leader, Gilfoyle who usually provides much humour reduced to a lame bitcoin joke and his competitive relationship with Dinesh who again was just portrayed as an idiot with serious self confidence issues. It's like it was written by the writers of the big bang theory in contrast to earlier series. A disappointment for me as it was one of the few American comedies I enjoyed. I don't find many American comedies funny as it's usually just people shouting at each other like It's All Sunny for example. The exceptions being Seinfeld, Curb and this up until the latest series.

Sorry if this is an incoherent rant I'm a bit pissed. What the fuck happened to Erlich?

I can sort of see what you are saying, but I still found season five very funny.

Erlich - actor jumped ship for higher pay, then various allegations surfaced...

I was baffled by a scene I watched last night.

That night when Erlich set fire to his hut thing and Richard sees him sitting there among the flames. Richard opens the door and suddenly it's day time and Erlich is still sitting there among the smouldering embers. What is he, a fucking Targaryen?

I think it was more the fact that erlich ( TJ Miller) was bored of the show and apparently was a dick on set. Everyone seemed happy that he left.

Then he phoned the police up with a fake bomb scare and not much more has been said.

Apparently he had brain surgery a while back that could be causing problems.

Yeah, I thought it finished really strong, with the last few episodes having some great reversals, and they totally managed to stick the landing in the finale. 

The

rats

gag was so obvious in retrospect, but I never saw it coming. Will definitely miss this show. 

Watched the entire last season tonight.

Thought it was good, the last episode was quite nostalgic as well. 

Was kinda hoping 

Spoiler

Erlich would show up

But wasnt really expecting it or anything.