Batman: Arkham Knight

Jimmy Shedders

Started playing this for the first time recently after loving and 100 percenting both Asylum and City. The first few hours have been one hell of a ride. I need to relearn the combat as I'm finding it a little overwhelming at the moment, and my map already seems to be full of filler gumpf, but, by god, IT'S SO FUCKING PRETTY.

8 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Started playing this for the first time recently after loving and 100 percenting both Asylum and City. The first few hours have been one hell of a ride. I need to relearn the combat as I'm finding it a little overwhelming at the moment, and my map already seems to be full of filler gumpf, but, by god, IT'S SO FUCKING PRETTY.

I've got a tip for you: never look at the map. You don't need it - everything is there for you to find in the environment and it's much more rewarding finding things that way. 

Did I give you some similar advice about turning all the HUD stuff off in MGSV? I've got a feeling I'm following you around the forum telling to switch things off. 

3 hours ago, Pob said:

I've got a tip for you: never look at the map. You don't need it - everything is there for you to find in the environment and it's much more rewarding finding things that way. 

Did I give you some similar advice about turning all the HUD stuff off in MGSV? I've got a feeling I'm following you around the forum telling to switch things off. 

Ha, probably. I'll give it a go.

I replayed this recently, and don't get why it was compared  negatively to the previous Arkhams. It's a fantastic game. After you get used to the batmobile stuff I think it compliments the rest of the game nicely. I sometimes found myself electing to drive around town instead of gliding.

I haven't read the huge thread but I just got this cheap at cdkeys for my PC. It's running really well. The only time it drops below 60 is sometimes when I'm charging between places in the batmobile.

I have one problem I can't get past though. I'm heading to Ace chemicals and everytime I cross a specifc point at the entrance the game hard crashes. Does anyone know how to get around this?

I think it's probably the best looking game I've ever seen.

I think the only valid criticism of this game as the culmination of the Arkham trilogy wotsit is that there are too many tank battles. I suspect this would not be viewed as a weakness if the tank combat was as strong and varied as the fisticuffs or stealth bits; but it's not had three games' worth of development to hone it, and just isn't.

Knight is definitely superior to City, and is a really fucking good game, but it still wants for the tightness of Asylum. 

Obviously the batmobile sections are the most glaring single issue with it, never feeling like anything more than busywork, but to be quite frank the bigger problem for me is that I never really felt that any of the games offered any real improvement on the original. I don't think that the combat and stealth have really benefited from "three games' worth of development to hone [them]" - if anything, the original game's elegant design has been muddied by successive attempts to add yet more moves and gadgets to the mix. The combat feels much the same as ever, albeit with added, generally unneeded, tools to make use of, while the stealth actually got noticeably worse for all the added gadgets at your disposal, becoming far less tense, less of an actual challenge.

Knight has the best writing in an Arkham game, and a very evocative (and beautiful) city to enjoy, and manages to be yet another excellent stealth-brawler, but I still favour the very first game for its narrower focus.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow how the fuck did I miss this until now. The controversy about the PC port and a bunch of other bollocks I guess. Reviewers were in my view massively hard on this game. It is in my top 3 of the generation. I actually like it better than asylum. One thing I heard is that it is uneven. How the fuck is this uneven? The spoil of riches of this game is astounding. So many things I like about it that only pop up a couple of times. Favourite bit thus far involves singing. 

On 21 August 2016 at 11:17, Mr Cochese said:

I think the only valid criticism of this game as the culmination of the Arkham trilogy wotsit is that there are too many tank battles. I suspect this would not be viewed as a weakness if the tank combat was as strong and varied as the fisticuffs or stealth bits; but it's not had three games' worth of development to hone it, and just isn't.

I liked the tank combat just fine. These chaps are literally resolving all game development problems that have ever existed one at a time. i am super impressed with this game. I like driving in this game, car combat, puzzles, hand to hand combat and stealth. It is mental that a single game does all of that well. I wonder what they'll do next.

I am going to do all these fucking challenges and then return the game out of spite. btw I finished this. awesome game altogether. I really hope they are doing a justice league game to release with the movie. I will play this again for sure. one of my favourite batman stories. really goes well with the themes of the killing joke or dark knight returns. these chaps really get the character. they are only matched by Zack Snyder (lol). a more likeable batman than Nolan's as well I think. game me a lot to think about. something really endearing about the end of the game which has a nostalgic feel to it. also would they please release that joker FPS. :wub:

On ‎01‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 16:34, Captain LeChuck said:

Nah, way too fucking many. They should have halved the amount.

243!!! for fucks sake!!! and the dude won't shut up about it either. they are not challenging you cunt! I just can't be bothered. riddler found batman's ultimate weakness. bore him to death.

I traded this game in a while ago, but when it was on sale I bought the digital version on PS4.  I didn't realise just how big a game it is though, weighing in at just over 70GB (last I checked), so I didn't have the room to download it & decides to wait until I upgraded to a larger HD later on.

It occurred to me though, is that 70GB the game plus all the many, many, huge updates it's had, or will it still need the updates on top of that? I still have the game files from the disc version on my HD, so if i delete those, will i then have the room, or will the DL become even bigger, like 100GB+ or something?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Late to the party, but started this the other week. I loved Asylum,  wasn't quite as taken with City (although I think I maybe played it too soon after Asylum), and didn't play Origins. Been wanting to pick Knight up for a while, but waited until it was cheaper, and got it for £12 in the end. 

It's a bit of a mixed bag so far. Mostly positive, but with some grumbles. I love what I've seen of the main story. It keeps things moving, and so far at least, it's got my interest. I've avoided spoilers as to who the Knight is, but as a Batman fan, I'm looking forward to finding out. Love the little interjections the Joker provides - if you haven't done so already, listen to your answermachine messages in Wayne Tower.

At first I wasn't keen on the Batmobile. But it's grown on me, and I now like it. But I do think that they overdo the fights with the tanks at times. Sometimes I just want to get from A to B, not fight yet another battle. Yes, it means I gain experience and can power up, but it makes it a little stop start.

My main complaint is with the Riddler Trials. I've never been one to try to get all his trophies, but I started to play the Trials to free Catwoman. And boy, has it been frustrating. The race trials, I've actually quite liked, and stubbornly stuck at them until I got three stars. And I liked quite liked some of the co-op ones. 

But there have been two that have nearly made me walk away from the game. The first was the one with the ledges, where you need to drive the Batmobile round. Incredibly fiddly, and I fell off the ledges more than I should have. Probably says more about my gaming than anything, but still. When I did finally get the car round to the area required, I went to fire the winch and power up the panel, but Batman kept telling me that I couldn't, as he had to be clear of the area at times. I tried every angle possible, knowing it was what I had to do next, but to no avail. So I decided it was a bug, and resigned myself to leaving the area and coming back in, to try to kickstart it. I headed to the lift, got it, and it began to rise. And rise. And rise. Then the Batmobile disappeared. Had to close the game down and reload, and do it all again. Have to say, so far it's the only bug I've met, but it was an annoying one.

The one I'm currently trying not to launch my controller across the room with is the one where you have to glide to hit the pressure pad in the sewer. First one, no problem. The second, I cannot get. If you don't get it just right, you're done. Again, it probably says more about my abilities, but it's incredibly frustrating.

I'm going to give it one more go tonight, but despite my best intentions and desires, if I can't do it tonight, I may tell the Riddler where to shove his trophies, and leave Catwoman to her fate. 

I presume I can move through the rest of the game, without having to complete this bit?

• 1 month later...

Playing atm on pc. They seem to have seriously gone to town improving performance as it runs quite well now. 

First thoughts are visually this is the most next gen looking game I've seen. It's stunning in places. I was walking through some apartments and I got the same vibe I did when playing Half Life 2. 

Not sure what Rocksteady are up to atm but after watching the Matrix I would love to see them implement the arkham combat system into that world. Imagine the burly brawl? it'd be a great fit. 

36 minutes ago, Stevedave said:

Playing atm on pc. They seem to have seriously gone to town improving performance as it runs quite well now. 

First thoughts are visually this is the most next gen looking game I've seen. It's stunning in places. I was walking through some apartments and I got the same vibe I did when playing Half Life 2. 

Not sure what Rocksteady are up to atm but after watching the Matrix I would love to see them implement the arkham combat system into that world. Imagine the burly brawl? it'd be a great fit. 

That's what I really really want. They would be perfect for the matrix universe,not to mention their combat. Arkham knight was a stunning game.

I can't believe people aren't chasing the matrix ip rights like it's Star Wars..