Batman: Arkham Knight

Jimmy Shedders

Does run really well on pc now. I think if you want to play it on high though you need a 4gb to 8gb card. 

On 20/12/2017 at 17:49, smac said:

:lol:

Protip: just fly everywhere like you did in City. Much better that way.

Yes, it's way way quicker flying. Some of the time trails force you into the bat mobile when it's easier / quicker to just jet out and glide over the buildings. 

Best part of the new combat is the multiple takedowns in the new suit. I really liked that for picking off the knife guys who were in a large groups. 

Wondering how many people on here instantly switched to the 80's bat suit? 

11 hours ago, Vorgot said:

Asylum is amazing. Have played through that twice, and it's such a well designed game. It just seemed to nail everything perfectly, even the collectible challenges were all doable and not a grind.

It's up there with Metroid Prime and Resi 4 in the all-time-great 3D adventure games. I didn't play it until about 2013 or 2014 and the level design still completely astounded me.

• 2 months later...

Love the series and love this game.  I recently played on my PC.  Finished the campaign but want to finish the DLC and mop up the side missions.  I love that the predator mode and other modes are built into the city rather than launched off of a separate menu.

On 27/12/2017 at 15:22, gossi the dog said:

If you'd never played any of the Batman games, and you had a choice between this or the re-release of the first two Arkham games (Batman Return to Arkham) on the xbox One, which would you go for?

They're both US$10 on the US store at the moment which works out at around £7 each, which is cheap enough for me to not worry if I end up not liking it.

They make for an absolutely amazing trilogy, both in narrative terms and the way the gameplay evolves. I’d play them all in order.

35 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I think I’m about ready for a new Arkham game. I hope whatever Rocksteady are doing makes up for not being Batman. 

Did Arkham Knight actually sell well?

I got the impression it cost a whole bunch of money to make (just look at it) and it sold well but was soon forgotten. a lot of people had Batman burn out at the time.

The start of this really didn’t impress me much - it felt like it was designed for writing game mag previews about - but it has opened up wonderfully. So few franchises manage to be consistent like this, even if Asylum was obviously the peak.

Really enjoyed this, especially...

Spoiler

...some of the more gimmicky storytelling, like the Joker bit at the end. It's the sort of elaborate aside that feels like it could've been edited out in favour of spending more time padding out the open world. They let the Joker and Batman carry this series and shaped the plot to emphasise them and it was absolutely the right decision. One of those rare gaming trilogies where the parts of the story feel like a cohesive while.

The tank combat mostly worked really well too, with a similar need for patience, observation, and steady rhythm to the combat. It's odd but it works.

My main issue is that the way the difficulty's balanced in the main story and lack of padding in the same really feels like you were meant to go off and do the side stories, which I couldn't be bothered with. As a result the last few vehicle and hand to hand sections were a bit overwhelming due to lack of practice as much as a lack of upgrades.

• 5 months later...

After finishing a mahoosive JPRG I wanted a change of pace and am finally ready to crack on with this. Not too far in to the story yet but have all the DLC etc so was planning on doing all the extra episodes, some AR stuff and all that jazz.

Will I miss anything by not doing many Riddler trophies? While they were brilliant in Asylum, they were a pain in the arse in City, and there seems to be tons of the buggers in this. I'll do ones I come across and can see how they need to be sorted, but am not going to actively seek them out I don't think.

38 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

I think they only tie in to the Catwoman subplot (not the Catwoman DLC), you have to find them to get a final boss against the Riddler in a mech. However that section has a reasonable enough ending without bothering with that.

Cool. I'll pick them up as I go, I may get motivated to do them in the end. At the moment I'm just grappling around, rescuing firemen, listening out for Opera etc. It's a great game for just flying around Gotham with and listening to the chatter. 

• 6 months later...

I bought this on release then abandoned it for whatever reason but have resumed it recently. Really enjoying it (completed the first two games) and was thinking to myself what an enjoyable extra the Batmobile is, either in driving mode or as a tank.

Now i've come to a bit where i need to get further underground in the Batmobile which involves driving like a corkscrew inside some tunnels, so you clear the barriers that have been put up. The 16yr old me would have smashed the controller to bits by now, what a ridiculous thing to have to do. I have done it, but f me does it take far too many goes. And i know this is one of those things that others probably find incredibly easy.

One i get past that i'm getting shot to shit too by some tanks, so have to keep doing it. Anybody else find this part annoying to the sake of close to abandoning the game?

If you're talking about the mandatory time trials, I raged hard at that part. I remember exiting the game and doing something else for a bit just to let myself calm down (and I didn't want to fall out with the game as I was really enjoying it).

Only thing that bothered me though, I absolutely love the rest of it.

I think it is a good addition to the game, as above all it controls well. Just that damn part where you have to drive through/in/around the tunnels. It's just prior to the Cloudburst section.

Fantastic game aside from that same annoyance though, very tempted to start playing again now (working from home today).

14 hours ago, Pavey said:

I bought this on release then abandoned it for whatever reason but have resumed it recently. Really enjoying it (completed the first two games) and was thinking to myself what an enjoyable extra the Batmobile is, either in driving mode or as a tank.

Now i've come to a bit where i need to get further underground in the Batmobile which involves driving like a corkscrew inside some tunnels, so you clear the barriers that have been put up. The 16yr old me would have smashed the controller to bits by now, what a ridiculous thing to have to do. I have done it, but f me does it take far too many goes. And i know this is one of those things that others probably find incredibly easy.

One i get past that i'm getting shot to shit too by some tanks, so have to keep doing it. Anybody else find this part annoying to the sake of close to abandoning the game?

That tunnel section was a pain in the arse until I saw some advice to put it in first person mode, did it first time then. Is there no checkpoint after you clear those 3 tunnels? Becuase you should just be able to leave at that point. But that whole section is a pain

• 3 months later...
On 29/04/2015 at 11:25, Sprite Machine said:

I'll wait for the GOTY Edition to be a fiver on Steam.

*Smirk.*

Holy four-year-old-game thread revival, Batman!

After deciding my ancient PC will never run this, I opted for the PS4 version. (I take it the game was never 'Pro-enhanced', since the image quality is a bit crap). But it's a pretty solid performance and the graphics are generally excellent. Rocksteady's design work is incredible and I love the detailed nature of the gadgets and mechanical moving parts on everything. A next-gen level of 'business' on everything, maybe it's a tad overdone, but textures and lighting and animations are fantastic.

I have some mixed and muddled thoughts on the game, so bear with me.

On the whole, I've enjoyed the game a lot but I think the core design is stretched to just about its limit and I'm kind of glad this is the last one. The 'predator' stealth and combat was absolutely mastered in Arkham Asylum, and that game had the wonderful Metroidvania-like structure to go with it. Arkham City added fun flight/grapple traversal as well as an excellent continuation of the story, but lost that focused level design unfortunately. And finally Arkham Knight takes the same unfocused structure and just adds more and more stuff on top. To be sure, it does it very well, and it's fun to navigate the open world, to perch atop high buildings and survey the horizon, drop down from above in a cool fashion, master long glides above the city, then powerslide around the streets, hunt down green glowing perps and pull off crazy Batmobile launches hudreds of feet into the air. But I do miss the tight contraints of the Alysum and feel that everything else added since the original game is less interesting and polished than that core stealth/combat. It's as if they decided (and we, the audience, collectively agreed) that the only type of superhero game must be an open-world superhero game, and therefore this is the final destination. The Batmobile, while a fun way to get around, is overused to the point of tedium. The drone fights are so dull and the Riddler trophies can go to hell. No, you haven't outwitted me, Riddler, you've just bored me into submission.

I hope Rocksteady do something new next, but they are mad talented and this game shows that off with some wonderful moments. They've created consistently good-to-great games with the Arkham series and it's a universe that I've become invested in, as someone who hasn't read any Batman comics but used to love the animated series. Aside from some stupid contrivances, the main storyline has been great, the writing and performances excellent, and I love everything they do with hallucinations, dream sequences or bending the fabric of reality around you, mixing up the gameplay unexpectedly. If anyone hasn't played Arkham VR (and is able to), I strongly recommend it, it does this sort of thing fantastically well.

So, overall, good show. I finally got around to playing it, and although it has tested my patience in a few places, it's been a heck of a ride. WB can sod off with their DLC rationing / season-pass / retailer exclusive skins / pre-order bonus content bullshit, though. That sort of thing honestly puts me off buying games anywhere near release. Their loss, not mine! :lol:

Finally, a few bugs took the shine off the experience (not game-breaking, just restart to fix). Two or three times, when coming out of GCPD, the Batmobile vanished so I was trapped in the parking lot. Sometimes drones would fail to spawn during bomb-hacking battles. And on one very strange occasion, I grappled into a Riddler puzzle machine that I don't think I was supposed to and got trapped in a frozen falling animation. I looked more like a Dork Knight.

But seriously, what are Rocksteady working on?

yeah I saw that on twitter. Personally I think that's just Conroy hoping to don the cowl again. While I was replaying Arkham Knight I was thinking about what Rocksteady may be working on, and had a great idea ... but forgot to write it down.