Batman: Arkham Knight

Jimmy Shedders

I'm not too fussed about work mates, but I do appointments from home and blurring it out is probably better than having people wonder why I've got an enormous batman thing behind me.

I also discussed this with the wife today (obviously after consulting rollmuck first), and got a pretty cool response. She is not a fan of gaming and apparently the baby is getting this room soon. Though that doesn't really change things as the room he's coming from isn't that much smaller.

I also found some truly horrific MLP/Arkham Knight on DeviantArt today. Terrifying.

Anyway, I'm still enjoying it. Not some much the 40 enemy tank battles, or the overly complicated Riddler challenges, but the rest of it is pretty good.

OGtJZSv.jpg

Despite generally looking pretty rough on Xbox (900p), it still manages to look remarkable in places. I'd love to see them do a proper next gen collection of them all - including Arkham Origins.

I couldn't help but redownload it on PC to see what it looks like at 1440p. I also found a tool (thanks to Digital Foundry) called Batman Tweak (BMT) and it helps sort a couple of issues out, especially if you have an SSD, but the game is still a monster and has absurd CPU demands, for some strange reason. Nowhere near a locked 60fps, but it looks lovely.

Batman-Arkham-Knight-18-10-2020-16-30-06

As DF said, it's crazy looking back at it and seeing what Rocksteady did so early in the generation. Gotham rivals Insomniac's New York.

5 years and all we're getting is a Suicide Squad game and a Batman game without Batman. WB games really are the worst.

1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

I couldn't help but redownload it on PC to see what it looks like at 1440p. I also found a tool (thanks to Digital Foundry) called Batman Tweak (BMT) and it helps sort a couple of issues out, especially if you have an SSD, but the game is still a monster and has absurd CPU demands, for some strange reason. Nowhere near a locked 60fps, but it looks lovely.

Get a better PC. ;) I recently replayed it on PC: 4k60 with only the odd dip apart from one specific fight* where the framerate tanks, otherwise it's pretty rock solid. 

*The joker-infected big bastard.

If anything, it’s kind of shown me that I shouldn’t bother with a better PC. I’m happy with it looking rough as a badger but being able to sit on the couch and have it on the big TV, rather than in the study and have to sit at my computer desk. Or have to mess with settings and still not have it run right.

Anyway, I finally finished this tonight. Feels so good to get it done, at long last. The Arkham Knight and Scarecrow are so bloody annoying that finally getting rid of them feels like a massive relief. Looking forward to doing the Most Wanteds and activating the Knightfall thing. I don’t think I’ll do all the riddler stuff as some of them just seem so convoluted and frustrating.

And here’s a similar screen to the above, but on Xbox:

92780-BEF-5558-491-B-BDED-0-BD0-D656195-

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Fargo said:

Screenshot from MS marketing material shows this with series x enhancements 

85863A9B-652E-480D-92EF-7CC3A9DC71B4.jpeg

The Xbone version was pretty inferior to the PS4 one, right, and not just in terms of resolution but draw distance, texture quality etc? Not sure a simple up-rez and frame rate bump would be enough, tbh.

I literally just completed this tonight on PS5 via backwards compatibility. It looked excellent for a PS4 title even all these years after release, so I imagine a SX enhanced version would look epic.

I did manage to complete every side mission apart from finding all those 241 Riddler trophies because fuck that. 

Ended up watching the ‘true’ ending on YouTube but am none the wiser to what’s going on. Might have to find another video that explains it. :lol:

I played a bit of this last night on the Series X for the weekly Reward task and it definitely hasn't been enhanced... yet. Auto HDR does a fair bit of heavy lifting but the res and framerate are still exactly where they've always been.

I did play this through on the PC a couple of years back at 60fps and it was glorious. One of the best games of the generation, for sure. Would do it all again if the Xbox version got proper enhancements.

Played it last night also for the same reason. It's a beautiful and atmospheric game even through the low resolution, but it looks so damn grainy and rough. 1080p looks fine upscaled on a current telly, but 900p doesn't do nearly as well. The game deserves so much better. Hopefully some BC enhancements will do it justice.

I bought this game back in the day, and used the MS rewards quest as an excuse to get stuck in again. It does look pretty ugly on XBX. It's not just the res but the grain effect over everything. I was hoping there was an option to switch it off as I'd suspect everything would look much clearer. It was quite hard to even pick out these thugs in the distance just to do the quest. 

But in the end as soon as I had to drive the Batmobile again I lost interest. Can we just keep these Asylum scale please?

I think the grain effect is exacerbated by the low resolution. I'd expect any kind of 4K remaster to look much, much cleaner overall.

One thing that did surprise me was how much stronger the rain effect appeared to be on Xbox, compared to PC. Everything in the game looks absolutely sodden, it's a really great oppressive effect that's massively toned down in the PC version. I wonder if that's also more apparent due to the lower resolution.

On 11/03/2021 at 11:45, AK Bell said:

It was quite hard to even pick out these thugs in the distance just to do the quest. 

Just as a heads up for anyone doing this quest: I played until the challenges appeared on the map, then went to the Combo Master one and kept doing that until it unlocked :) No need to go out hunting!

On 11/03/2021 at 11:48, Garwoofoo said:

I think the grain effect is exacerbated by the low resolution. I'd expect any kind of 4K remaster to look much, much cleaner overall.

One thing that did surprise me was how much stronger the rain effect appeared to be on Xbox, compared to PC. Everything in the game looks absolutely sodden, it's a really great oppressive effect that's massively toned down in the PC version. I wonder if that's also more apparent due to the lower resolution.

Nah, that's because the PC version is one of the most fucked ports ever made. In the end they patched it to a playable state, with a beastly pc (back then) required to struggle through the horrible optimization - but there were also loads of visual effects heavily toned down or completely missing. Such as the rain. It was a horrible, rushed port at a time when even a mediocre gaming PC vastly out powered the consoles so there was really no excuse except WB didn't want to invest any time and money in it.

On 11/03/2021 at 10:48, Garwoofoo said:

I was playing the Xbox version this evening and I found the grainy low-res look quite appealing in a retro kind of way. It really suits the game, with the rain as you say. 

Not that I wouldn’t appreciate a 4K/60fps patch of course!

Just started this and I'm finding the that everything looks wet and grim kinda appealing. This isn't Adam West Batman, apparently. Although everything shimmers a bit, it could probably do with that BC boost thing.

Is it me or does the bat mobile not want to stop? I've taken to just jumping out.