Batman: Arkham Knight

Jimmy Shedders

Ah, X is brake :)

I'm really enjoying this, kinda bummed I missed the earlier ones of this is the bad one. The shimmering is much less noticeable on a 1080p screen, maybe 900p scales a bit wonky to 4k.

Breezed past the GP quest. I've been putting every W point into the batmobile, am I supposed to max it out before upgrading other stuff?

25 minutes ago, TehStu said:

I'm really enjoying this, kinda bummed I missed the earlier ones of this is the bad one. The shimmering is much less noticeable on a 1080p screen, maybe 900p scales a bit wonky to 4k.

Breezed past the GP quest. I've been putting every W point into the batmobile, am I supposed to max it out before upgrading other stuff?

You can go into the options and change the controls so that left trigger is brake. I don't think it's in the controls menu though, I think it's in the game menu.

1 hour ago, TehStu said:

You don’t have to max it out before upgrading anything else but if I remember correctly it is probably a good idea to do so. Some of the batmobile missions can be a little tedious and having it fully spec’d out makes them much easier. 

8 hours ago, TehStu said:

Is it me or does the bat mobile not want to stop? I've taken to just jumping out.

That’s what feels so good, don’t worry about stopping, just launch yourself out of the Batmobile into an attack or long glide. It gets even better with more upgrades. 

4 hours ago, TehStu said:

It’s not that it’s the bad one (it’s the best one in my opinion), it’s just that it doesn’t have the metroidvania purity of the original. If you’ve not played the first then you won’t miss that. To be it seemed obvious that the Batman is this series was dying to break out into on open world, what with all the traversal options, so I was delighted with the direction it took. 

Don’t worry too much about the car, just don’t neglect it. Upgrade its dodge manoeuvres and firepower a bit. 

Yeah, the game tries to do too much. It’s got a million Joker challenges, the story is pretty poor and drawn out, and the Militia missions are repetitive and some of them are ridiculous - huge numbers of enemy vehicles you need to take down. 

But Gotham is brilliant. It’s so well realised, the rain effects are amazing, it’s just incredible and going back to Arkham City makes that version of Gotham seem barren. 

I’ve mentioned it previously but it still amazes me that this version of Gotham came out in 2015.

Arkham Asylum is one of the last games I can remember that felt like a big step forward for gaming, rather than an iteration of what we’ve had before. It’s still good but not going to have anywhere near the same impact it did back then. 

I’ve never really played a Batman game, well I did play the first on 360 and as I recall I loved it for a bit but then got bored of it being repeated content (didn’t you just go back on yourself or something) and gave up but it’s always been in the back of my mind to give them another try!

I assume like many the gamepass reward prompted me to install this and give it a go, I’m really struggling with the loo of the game - it’s very odd in that it’s super detailed, decent FPS and yet looks really low res with really bad motion, I’ve never come across a game that looks this way! I initially thought it was a 360 game with some bad ups calling but I assume it’s an Xbox one game that never got a one x patch?

I also feel like I have no idea what I’m doing, I’m trying to rescue some firemen and found one of them and I’ve still got the quest with no idea what to do next!?

Classic MetroidVania. New abilities open up new possibilities and new areas. The asylum is like a hub world.

City and knight are far more... open, but the only thing that changes is how far apart the “dungeons” are. With some environmental puzzles between each.

Apparently it got an upgrade for the PS4 Pro but not the One X. 

I read there may be a Series S / X upgrade coming... would be nice if it worked on One X too.

My cheap 4k telly isn’t great for 1080p but it’s bearable. This game at 900p looks terrible though, and the grainy filter doesn’t help. I’ve just escaped from Ace Chemicals so I might just restart it on PC rather than wait for an upgrade that might not happen.

16 minutes ago, StoooTube said:

I read there may be a Series S / X upgrade coming...

Looks like that's a nope, apparently the rumour is based on a mockup icon on a blog post:

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2021/03/10/discover-games-on-xbox-in-your-preferred-language/

"Editor’s note: This article has been updated to feature a new hero image, as the original mock up incorrectly listed an Xbox Series X|S Optimized version of “Batman: Arkham Knight.” “Batman: Arkham Knight” is available for players on Xbox Series X|S only via backwards compatibility."

I do hope they can unlock those resolutions on older games eventually though. 

I think hoping for an update is massively wishful thinking. WB games are not going to get anyone to go back to this game and mess around with improving it unless they can sell it to you. On top of that, the PS4 version will never get a PS5 improvement patch unless they release a new PS5 version of it - same situation as Rocket League and Overwatch having Series X/S patches but no PS5 upgrades.

On top of that, this is the same company that blocked Xbox One back compat for Asylum and City so they could sell you the remakes. The only good thing you can say about them is that they spent the money to have the games remade/updated for UE4 for PS4 and Xbox One, but even this led to the games being criticised for not being faithful to the originals and the performance was wonky for years, even on Xbox One X and PS4 Pro.

I suspect they will block any attempt by Microsoft to update the game for either framerate or resolution scaling, so they can sell you a (likely inferior) remake/remaster in a few years' time.

I have no idea about programming games for consoles, but does it not have a .ini file where they can just change the resolution, like a PC game?! I mean there’s patches for arcade ROMs for Teknoparrot to increase the resolution?! :mellow:

6 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

But Gotham is brilliant. It’s so well realised, the rain effects are amazing, it’s just incredible and going back to Arkham City makes that version of Gotham seem barren. 

Plus there are other atmospheric effects to come that add to the mood...

I finished this last night.  Well finished as much as I'm going to.  246 Riddler trophies to find, no chance in France would I waste my time doing that.  Also skipped a lot of other side quests which just feel like pure filler missions.  All in all it was an enjoyable experience.  I loved the world, the characters, how it all tied together.  The combat was good, if a little fiddly at times.  It was nice using the gadgets but I think they over did them and the perk system. A good few times it felt like you had to use the gadgets just for the sake of it. I didn't really put a lot of points into them. Happy to take down the thugs of Gotham with my fists. Climbing high and then launching yourself to glide over Gotham was great.

With all that said, the Batmobile.  Fuck me what a complete annoyance that was. I know it isn't the developers fault but I've recently played FH4 and Wreckfest so to then take the wheel of the Batmobile was a terrible experience.  It drives like shite.  I had some properly rage inducing moments with it. Someone in the development team clearly has a fetish for tanks/technicals.  There was no need for so many of those missions imo.  Also, riddle me this, riddle me that, why would an evil genius called the Riddler set you a 'riddle' of driving laps around a track?  

Spoiler

I was delighted when the Arkham Knight finally liberated me from the Batmobile when he destroyed it with the big drill. Imagine my annoyance when I discovered Lucius had a spare one and of course there had to be another absolutely poison mission when you have to take on about 100 tanks outside of GCPD.

Hopefully the other two might come to gamepass at some point. I do think I would enjoy playing through them without having to endure the Batmobile. 

I love just sitting up high, biding my time and listening to police comms, and then pouncing when the helicopter finds something nearby. Don't need the hud, follow the search light from the chopper.

I should probably do the main quest though, feels like part of the game is locked behind that (can't get the batmobile to the island needed for the next Riddler mission).

Arkham Collection is on sale for a smidge over £16 on the PlayStation store - this sounds like a great way to unshackle myself from the terror of disc-swapping and to get visually updated versions of the fist two games.

Perhaps I don't play enough variety of these sorts of games (I've played an awful lot of Ubisoft open world, of late) but I continue to be amazed how varied everything is in this game. Honestly, no two missions have felt the same yet. Because of that, and the fact the whole thing oozes atmosphere, I just feel like part of the story. More so than any Assassin's Creed.

That said, I absolutely suck at being dropped into a melee, and that's also true of AC. I can pick people off one by one or in small groups with fear + mop up, by some missions just drop you into the thick of it. 

Also, while I don't actually mind the driving, the awful handling is shown up on the last lap of the last mission to unlock the necklace on Catwoman. I actually enjoyed some of the earlier puzzles, but I'm not wholly convinced I'm going to be able to beat this race. It's a shame because this, and forced melee, are the only negative things I can think of at the moment. It's otherwise absolutely brilliant.

On 11/03/2021 at 06:14, Mr. Gerbik said:

Just as a heads up for anyone doing this quest: I played until the challenges appeared on the map, then went to the Combo Master one and kept doing that until it unlocked :) No need to go out hunting!

Nah, that's because the PC version is one of the most fucked ports ever made. In the end they patched it to a playable state, with a beastly pc (back then) required to struggle through the horrible optimization - but there were also loads of visual effects heavily toned down or completely missing. Such as the rain. It was a horrible, rushed port at a time when even a mediocre gaming PC vastly out powered the consoles so there was really no excuse except WB didn't want to invest any time and money in it.

what’s your highest challenge score

• 9 months later...
42 minutes ago, Fargo said:

I’m almost at the end of Guardians of the Galaxy and was thinking of a replay of this next. 

do any of the Arkham game run at 60fps on series x ?

Playing on Xbox, no matter the version, is the absolute worst way to play Arkham Knight. I think it's still locked to 900p (lololol) and 30fps.

6 hours ago, Fargo said:

I’m almost at the end of Guardians of the Galaxy and was thinking of a replay of this next. 

do any of the Arkham game run at 60fps on series x ?

I think Arkham Asylum runs at 45fps for some bizarre reason. I’m not sure about City. It’s very odd. I want to reply those too games myself, but don’t know the best way to do it on console. 

The PC version has kind of become the version to buy if you have a good enough machine - which is of course a perverse state of affairs considering the state of the thing on its original launch.

However, these days it runs spectacularly well - I never played it on the consoles back in the day, so don't have much to compare it to, but running the game with all the bells and whistles on it at 4k is pretty bloody cool. 

It still looks thoroughly next gen as far as I'm concerned!

27 minutes ago, JoeK said:

It still looks thoroughly next gen as far as I'm concerned!

It's easily one of the best-looking games on the PS4, up there with with Last of Us 2 and Uncharted 4. It's a genuine stunner. And yeah, I replayed it on PC back when it was free on the Epic store. 

It's effectively why despite my better judgement I'm still intrigued to see what Rocksteady actually do with the Suicide Squad. The overall idea of the game doesn't interest me in the slightest, but...those guys know how to make a decent game, so I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

But...if it's not the best game ever made....oooooooh, I'll be furiously typing rude words on my keyboard.

Finished this last night after starting it a couple weeks back. Really enjoyed it , batmobile fights were a bit meh but overall not bad at all!

I played the PC version and it ran perfectly unlike the last time I tried to play this back at launch on my 970.