Assassin's Creed: Unity

Chadruharazzeb

I consider Black Flag to be a better contextualisation of the series' trappings and vestigial mechanics, but it was ultimately another iteration on a franchise which is crying out for some reductive design.

Giving the Unity team thee years to work on it is all well and good, but if they're locked into leaning on the same fundamentals it's going to be another inoffensive, inconsequential open-world checklist ticker. There are certainly worse fates, especially from a financial perspective, but it will continue to be disappointing for a series with so much potential.

Of course it is bullshit.

Once the game is in the final stages, they will say the watch dogs line "you can't expect the game to look like that, surely".

And I am really dubious about the "three years development". I mean, they are working three years on next gen hardware? Then the results should at least as good as the above gif.

What I'm hoping is that next gen will be powerful enough to give the series the ability to have the stealth mechanics of chaos theory.

edit: And to tell you the truth, I am not surprised anymore by closed out buildings and drone npcs.

nope x100! This is grade A ubisoft BS!

I reckon it's all doable. You're getting thrown by some window reflections (not taxing I reckon) and some particles (super easy) and some slightly better lighting.

At some people will have to accept that graphics are going to get a whole lot better this gen, regardless of all this talk about diminishing returns.

I reckon it's all doable. You're getting thrown by some window reflections (not taxing I reckon) and some particles (super easy) and some slightly better lighting.

The original Watch Dogs footage was a lot more doable, but in the end Ubisoft was not able or willing to actually do it.

The original Watch Dogs footage was a lot more doable, but in the end Ubisoft was not able or willing to actually do it.

We still don't know what the deal is there. Maybe, maybe not.

This is different on its face. It's not coming out in two years, it's coming our this year. They surely wouldn't use an over ambitious vertical slice at this point.

I don't think it's technically infeasible.

I never understand what people's problem with optional collectibles are. They're there for people who like collecting things. If you don't like collecting things, don't collect them.

The people complaining about the collectibles are the potential audience for them. If they weren't interested the poor implementation wouldn't stick out.

Collectibles in the AC series are, by and large, pure busywork. There's too many of them, there's typically no challenge to finding or reaching them, and in most cases they don't feed into any other mechanic. There's numerous ways in which they could be made more meaningful and satisfying to collect.

The people complaining about the collectibles are the potential audience for them. If they weren't interested the poor implementation wouldn't stick out.

Collectibles in the AC series are, by and large, pure busywork. There's too many of them, there's typically no challenge to finding or reaching them, and in most cases they don't feed into any other mechanic. There's numerous ways in which they could be made more meaningful and satisfying to collect.

If you make them more meaningful then people who object to collecting anything will complain that they have no choice but to collect them. Collectables are made trivial on purpose. They are an optional objective for people who enjoy collecting things.

If you make them more meaningful then people who object to collecting anything will complain that they have no choice but to collect them. Collectables are made trivial on purpose. They are an optional objective for people who enjoy collecting things.

"More meaningful" doesn't mean integral. For instance the sea shanties in AC4 have zero bearing on the player's capability to finish the game, but they certainly have more substance to their collection than the other 95% of icons on the map.

Regardless, I'm not convinced your hypothetical person that fundamentally hates all collectibles exists. Are there people who can't be bothered with all the pointless trinkets that only add on to a completion percentage? Absolutely. But who grimaced every time they collected an orb in Crackdown, or refused to pick up any of BioShock's audio logs? I think every player can appreciate well integrated collectibles, so long as they don't aggressively gate progression down the critical path.

If you've got a world as large as ACIV's and you want to populate it with a decent amount of collectibles then it's way too much work to make every single one of them some part of relevant lore or something. The number of animus fragments in ACIV was well into the hundreds. They're just a fun add-on for completists, that's all.

And you're dead wrong about there not being people who hate collecting things. I remember I once heard someone on a podcast complaining about "having" to collect every coin and star bit in Mario Galaxy, even though the game doesn't even track them.

I'm a completionist (or maybe a sadist) and have always sought out every collectible from the AC games. The first one was a complete sod because they didn't even appear on the map but I found every single flag nonetheless.

I did give up with 4 though as there was just too much to find and no real payoff, not even an achievement, for doing it all.

I'm a completionist (or maybe a sadist) and have always sought out every collectible from the AC games. The first one was a complete sod because they didn't even appear on the map but I found every single flag nonetheless.

I was going to, but the game is so bugged with the flag collecting it isn't worth it. A friend has 51/50 flags in Masyaf. I have 49, and there are no more (I exactly followed a video guide to check).

• 2 months later...

My heart sank a bit when I saw that stealth-mode bit, where you press a button to go into stealth mode and go from cover to cover to avoid guards in exactly the same way as every single other third person stealth game ever made. It just looks like they've grafted the stealth bits from Watch Dogs and Splinter Cell into Assassins Creed, which is a shame, as AC did have its own feel.

The rest of it looks absolutely splendid though - the downward parkour looks brilliant, and the city looks flipping incredible.

My heart sank a bit when I saw that stealth-mode bit, where you press a button to go into stealth mode and go from cover to cover to avoid guards in exactly the same way as every single other third person stealth game ever made. It just looks like they've grafted the stealth bits from Watch Dogs and Splinter Cell into Assassins Creed, which is a shame, as AC did have its own feel.

The rest of it looks absolutely splendid though - the downward parkour looks brilliant, and the city looks flipping incredible.

Weirdly that pleased me. I found it so bloody frustrating not being able skip by guards on AC4 because I couldn't crouch behind certain scenery and had to look for scrubs to hide in.

Looking good for me, I'll pick it up no doubt.

Yeah the cover stuff is great in Spinter Cell and WD. I game about a stealthy assassin is crying out for it really. My main concern (apart from the ugly icons over everything) is that the combat looks no better than Black Flag (which itself was worse than the earlier games).

But I'm totally getting this just to vault around revolutionary Paris. I'm going to treat it like the most awesome interactive history book.