IGNORED

FTL7 - Old is Cool! (PS4) - Team Selection

Steely

Now that I am joining the upper echelon in the land of the PS4! :)

Going to float an FTL out there, see if there are enough biters to start up a league.

This version, I am thinking Ultimate Team. I find the normal 1v1 a bit of a slog on Fifa14 personally but find Ultimate team to be a much better balanced, less frustrating experience, especially when you have a team with decent chemistry!

How exactly we are going to balance things out is yet to be decided, I have some ideas but also open to a few if people have any.

A few ideas...

1- Each person has a limit on how many of each type of player they can have Eg.

>Jamin is allowed 2 Shinny Silvers, 4 Dull Silvers, and the rest any Bronze.

>SaintM is allowed 5 Shinny Golds, 6 Dull golds and the rest silver and below.

>Pants is allowed any player he god damn pleases.

Then you go and build the best team you can yourself with those limitations. Obviously players with wedge will have an advantage.

2- Everyone is given a budget to spend as they please, which is easy for the bigger boys but in the case of the little fish how will they get the funds if they dont already have them?

3- I spend a tenner on stocking up some packs, flog all the findings then divvy out the gold depending on ability. Though if I get a stack of shit packs we would be screwed!

Each player you buy you must post a screen grab in the thread with the cost included, this can be found on the players profile, then and only then he is your player.

A player can only play for one team so first come, first served.

Any ideas are welcome! Like I say the toughest thing is to balance out the field when some players wont have the money to build the team they need...

Hmm, I think getting the players will be the biggest issue. I've not touched UT on this version, so I suspect getting even half decent bronzes will be quite the challenge. People who use the mode all the time or spend moneys will be pretty heavily advantaged!

P.S. Can I stop getting the worst teams and budgets based on a 1v1 reputation I had in like Season 20. :P

Edit: Thinking about it, the most even way to do it I think is a modified version of option #3:

3- I spend a tenner on stocking up some packs, flog all the findings then divvy out the gold depending on ability. Though if I get a stack of shit packs we would be screwed!

Then there'd be a big spreadsheet list of players we could all bid money £ for (obv some people have higher budgets).

A few ideas...

1- Each person has a limit on how many of each type of player they can have Eg.

>Jamin is allowed 2 Shinny Silvers, 4 Dull Silvers, and the rest any Bronze.

>SaintM is allowed 5 Shinny Golds, 6 Dull golds and the rest silver and below.

>Pants is allowed any player he god damn pleases.

Then you go and build the best team you can yourself with those limitations. Obviously players with wedge will have an advantage.

2- Everyone is given a budget to spend as they please, which is easy for the bigger boys but in the case of the little fish how will they get the funds if they dont already have them?

Each player you buy you must post a screen grab in the thread with the cost included, this can be found on the players profile, then and only then he is your player.

A player can only play for one team so first come, first served.

Any ideas are welcome! Like I say the toughest thing is to balance out the field when some players wont have the money to build the team they need...

I think something inbetween option 1 and 2 could work. Rank everyone say 1-4 based on ability, then give 1's a budget of 10k, 2's 12.5k, 3's 15k and 4's 17.5k. You can also use your own current UT players (so you don't actually have to go out and spend these coins) based on current FUT Head prices, or something?

I'm interested, think i'd rather not fuck about with my UT though, so would prefer to just use our teams as they are and maybe handicap it somehow?

You can just create another one though. No need to touch your current UT.

All this chat of using current teams has to stop. The FTL is as much about the system for the building the teams as it is about playing the actual games. In fact, I value the transfer and team building side of it higher than the games.

Budgets and player restrictions all sounds good but managing the first come first served on player purchases sounds like it will be a nightmare unless it is managed through a spreadsheet like we did with the fantasy FTL.

Whatever we decide I am totally in for this and if coins are needed I can sell my current team and donate all I have :)

When me and Mitch were discussing setting a UT league on Fifa13, we hit on the idea of having a set coin limit for each player.

initially we thought 700 coins would be a good maximum:

- It allows newbies to build a team that can compete with 7k

- With rare golds 'quick selling' for <650 coins, there are plenty of really good players that can be picked up in auction for 700, especially from less popular leagues like Russia, Netherlands and Brazil. This would mean that players who put the effort into tracking auctions and building a 'hybrid team' would have an advantage for their timesink.

- You could impose restrictions either on individual managers or on a fortnightly basis; eg for the next two weeks you must use 3 silver players; for the next round of fixtures you must use only two players with above 80 pace; for your first two fixtures you must use 4 South American players; Jamin must use no players from any top division - championship, serie B, Liga Adelente, etc.

Just some thoughts we had.

So, I haven't been into my Ultimate Team in months after building a solid Premiership team. Just logged in there through the iPhone app and I had promo packs waiting for me. Open them up and I am treated to Balotelli, Vidal, De Rossi, Prince Boateng, Klose, Lamela, Lennon, Chadli, Howedes and Arsene Wenger :lol: will make a fortune from those.

Right I'm thinking something along the lines of...

Budget Options
1-People are responsible for generating there own budgets.

2-I can pump some money into buying some pack and share the spoils and that can be our budget decider.

3-People donate Fifa Gold into a pot which is divided out as much or as little as they like and we go from there.

Team Building Options

1-People have a limit on the variant of cards they can have. (8 Dull Silvers, 5 Rare Silvers, 5 Dull Golds. Or Below!)

2-No Limit. (Potentially ending up with 5+ All Prem Teams.)

3-Each person picks a league in ranking order, then you can only buy from that league.

4-Buying wars, where when you buy a player, you declare in the thread with a photo who you have bought and then that player is yours and no one else can have him. (Tracked using a spreadsheet.)

With any of these options photos of purchases are going to be required to ensure you have met your budget... Not sure if you share your team it shows how much a person paid for the player? Those links are blocked on my work laptop or phone if someone else can verify wether you can or cant for me. :facepalm:

Photos... or we could use FUT values, only downside is it makes snaking for that bargain buy far less key as all prices are set from the start.

Again open to suggestions on budgets or team options, or whether you would rather ditch UT and stick with 1v1, which would be easier but less fun when it comes to actually playing the games!

All opinions welcome!

We are up to 11 players:

Steely
Jamin
shalo-calo
Mitchell
MardiganX
SaintM
smithstock *tentative*
gooner4life *tentative*
Keiths_Dad
AlfromSleep
Marmite

So just one more space available. If we do reach 12 feel free to put yourself on the waiting list as people may drop out depending on which direction we go with it.

Whatever we decide I think it should be a level playing field for all managers so we each have the same budget / limitations. As much as I love to see Jamin and emerging talent like Gooner and this lad Keiths Dad getting the shackles strapped on them I would like to see how we all do when it's balanced, especially since it's Ultimate Team focussed.

How about something like we all have a set budget / coins and each league has a cost associated with it. Each manager uses some of their budget to get access to a league then they can only buy from that league? So use a lot of budget to get access to the Prem or use a small amount of budget and keepers coins for players from the French or Portugese leagues.

It all sounds good apart from the picture posting to confirm purchase as that is going to be a complete pain in the snatch. I will probably be doing the majority of my purchases through the iPhone app so won't be able to get pictures loaded up while in work and stuff. Other than using a separate spreadsheet like we did for the fantasy FTL I'm not sure how we best handle that.

There really is so many ways we could do this so keeping the playing field level for all managers feels like a good way to keeping things relatively simple.

My Fifa is currently on Ebay as playing it on PS4 has become a complete grind for me. I don't agree with most people that it is slicker - for me it is much clunkier and definitely more unresponsive than the 360 version (which was still crap) and the volume of awful goals where defenders fall over keepers or vice versa is much higher than I experienced on 360.

Hopefully be back on FIFA 15 but they really need to make lots of changes (mostly going back to previous versions!) to the game if I am going to get any enjoyment out of it moving forward.

Auction Schmauction. £32.50 Buy it Now.............SOLD

Now that I am joining the upper echelon in the land of the PS4! :)

Going to float an FTL out there, see if there are enough biters to start up a league.

Steely, you couldn't have planned your return any better. Last I heard, Wincho was frantically searching eBay's T&Cs for a '48 hour cooling-off period'.

In fact where did you get your PS4? eBay? Have those pesky 12 year olds been adding too Wincho's woes by giving him too much grief on COD?

That said, it looks as though you'll need a new admin assistant for this season!