rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
strawdonkey

Danganronpa series: Trigger Happy Havoc, Goodbye Despair, Ultra Despair Girls, Killing Harmony...

Ploughing my way through the second. Reached a lulll if I'm honest but the first finished brilliantly so I'm confident this will follow suit.

Is there much replay value to the first game? I've been trying to find a copy for ages but it seems cheaper and far easier to download it from the store!

It depends on how you click with it. I still play through the Phoenix Wright games every so often, because to me visual novels are far more like books than games, so I enjoy 'reading' them over and over again.

There are things to unlock but nothing major.

Ploughing my way through the second. Reached a lulll if I'm honest but the first finished brilliantly so I'm confident this will follow suit.

Where did you get to?

I think the third case is imminent. It's the same with the first really; the best bits are the investigations and trials. My heart sinks a bit when I realise I've got four bits of free time.

Sounds like I'm pretty down on it but I am really enjoying it.

The free time gives you huge bonuses for the trials though. And the game hints heavily once you complete it that every plot strand is revealed through the social link stuff.

Finished Goodbye Despair tonight...

It's pretty fucking good. I think I just about prefer the first as the final reveals were so much more unexpected (whereas in this, I was waiting for all it to tie in) but it's still a hell of a ride. Especially the last couple of hours.

In fact, the last couple of hours are MENTAL. The last case must throw revelations at you every four sentences. Awesome stuff.

The idea that it was all a game flitted across my mind fairly early on (I think there was a scene after the first or second case where Hajime seems to speak to the player directly) but there's so much other stuff going on even if you second guess one bit, five others are waiting to bite your arse.

The funhouse and 'suicide' cases were my favourites. Stacked with plenty of mystery.

And I completely love Fuyuhiko.

And of course, it looks and sounds amazing.

More please!

• Upvote 1

Finally got around to buying the first when it was cheap on PSN a few weeks ago, for some reason the cart didn't seem to be getting any cheaper (bit of a rarity now?) so thought I'd take the plunge in the absence of any real substance on PS+ recently.

As expected it's really bloody good. I've just started the third chapter, I'm still yet to really grow much of an attachment to most of the characters (apart from Kyoko :wub:) but the story is really tight. As mentioned it seems to be a mixture of Phoenix Wright and Zero Escape, the investigations do seem a bit plodding so far but I think that's probably because it's just warming up. The class trials are really good albeit a bit busy, there seems to be a little too much going on. But yeah they are minor gripes, the atmosphere is great and I'm sure there are many more KERBLAMMOs to come.

Also Monokuma is friggin' amazing.

Sale alert:

Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc and Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair are £15 each on the PSN store for the Playstation Vita Birthday Sale.

Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls is coming out this Autumn, physical/digital and will also include the Japanese audio.

Warning: It's set between 1 and 2 but contains DR2 spoilers, images at the link and video contain spoilers for both.

Riddles and puzzles with third person shooter action sequences, not going to say any more for fear of spoilers.

Danganronpa-Another-Episode-Ultra-Despai

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure - it looks 50% incredible (shout at things to kill them!) and 50% dreadful. Still shamelessly there day one though, and I really hope it turns out much better than first impressions would suggest.

Finally got around to finishing Dangonronpa 2 this week. Just as great as the first game.

In sequel news, Both Siliconera.com & Animenewsnetwork.com had interviews with Danganronpa series writer Kazutaka Kodaka recently -

Siliconera's spoiler free interview -

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/03/24/sci-fi-back-future-danganronpa-writers-ideas-danganronpa-3/

Animenewsnetwork's spoiler filled interview -

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/the-x-button/2015-03-25/havoc-heart/.86350

Is this thing on?

Ultra Despair Girls is out. Anyone played it?

In other news, Danganronpa 3 has been announced for Vita and PS4:

I hope there are actual characters in this one. The trailer suggests it is just bears. If so:

wl2iPz9.jpg

Just got through Chapter 1 of Ultra Despair Girls. Liking it so far. Prefer playing this series with Japanese voices so it was a surprise to find that they were not initially included on the cart. Instead the Japanese voice pack is a free 1.8gb download through PSN.

Just got through Chapter 1 of Ultra Despair Girls. Liking it so far. Prefer playing this series with Japanese voices so it was a surprise to find that they were not initially included on the cart. Instead the Japanese voice pack is a free 1.8gb download through PSN.

Oh boy. I've finished it, and having access to that would have probably made the experience much better :)

Just finished this (Ultra Despair Girls) today. Really enjoyed it. Interesting mix of 3rd person action and puzzle genres. The story was great but quite bleak at times. Soundtrack was a particular highlight. Good mix of old Danganronpa tunes and some new ones.

The backstories for the Warriors of Hope :o. Those were both dark and depressing.

Hope Danganronpa 3 gets a 2016 release.

Number 3 is out. Grainger Games had a couple of copies in on Sunday when I was in there. Would have bought it, but I've not started 2 yet.

Number 3 is out. Grainger Games had a couple of copies in on Sunday when I was in there. Would have bought it, but I've not started 2 yet.

Ultra Despair Girls is counted as Danganronpa 1.5.

Danganronpa franchise on sale this weekend:

Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc - £8.99 https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-gb/games/danganronpa-trigger-happy-havoc-full-game/cid=EP1063-PCSB00346_00-DANGANRONPA1EU01

Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair: £11.99 https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-gb/games/danganronpa-2-goodbye-despair-full-game/cid=EP1063-PCSB00514_00-DANGANRONPA2EU01

Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls - £20.99 https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-gb/games/danganronpa-another-episode-ultra-despair-girls/cid=EP1063-PCSB00788_00-DESPAIRGIRLSEU01

Nice price on the original, which for me is still the strongest in the series.

Would steer clear of Ultra Despair Girls unless you have played the first two games and are clamouring for more - for me it felt like a reasonable Danganronpa plot stapled to a bad survival horror game. It's full of great ideas and very few of them are ever realised. It is also a huge spoiler for the first game - even the promotional material will give up some of Trigger Happy Havoc's mystery.

Bought this in the Steam Sale (an oversight because I somehow forgot ZE3 would be released the next day!)

I enjoyed it, but I wasn't bowled over by it. Too little puzzling, too many poor 'action' sections and far far too much time between working something out and it's reveal. Also, I found it almost too ridiculous.

Still, completed it now, can get ZE3 on the go!

edit- and those dating free time sections. Oh man.

Bit slack on this. Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony was announced for the west at Playstation Experience:

It looks like we're back to the first-person exploration of Trigger Happy Havoc, everyone still has the same cold, dead eyes and now there are Monokuma Cubs which will inevitably be shit.

For me, neither Goodbye Despair nor Ultra Despair Girls came close to Trigger Happy Havoc, but am remaining cautiously optimistic about this. It's coming to Vita and PS4 with both physical and digital versions "in 2017".

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2016/12/03/high-stakes-fast-paced-investigative-action-in-ps4s-danganronpa-v3-killing-harmony-out-2017/

31252938382_91fb4fdc51_z.jpg

31027922990_82415f58a0_z.jpg

It looks as ridiculous as ever.

--

ALSO

Danganronpa 1 & 2: Reload is coming to PS4 in 2017: https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2016/10/04/danganronpa-12-reload-coming-to-ps4-in-2017/

As Strider has already mentioned in the PS Vita thread, Danganronpa 3 Collector's Editions are up for pre-order -

PS Vita - http://store.nisaeurope.com/products/danganronpa-v3-killing-harmony-ps-vita-limited-edition

PS4 - http://store.nisaeurope.com/products/danganronpa-v3-killing-harmony-ps4-limited-edition

Danganronpa Reload is confirmed for 17/03/17 -

PS4 - http://store.nisaeurope.com/products/danganronpa-1-2-reload-limited-edition

• Upvote 1