Hello, I've recently bought a completely refurbished Game Gear which came with Columns. I never had one when I was younger so I was wondering what games are worth playing? Looking at Ebay, the games aren't very expensive which is great. Does anybody here still play there system?

Sonic 1 is also ace, far better than the MD game even though it's (obviously) a lot more basic graphically.

I loved Ecco on the GG, but never played the MD game to compare, so it might be pointless if you've already played through the original.

Shining Force: The Sword of Haiya is a lovely SRPG, but I'll be surprised if that's all that cheap these days. For a more traditional JRPG, I remember Defenders of Oasis getting a good rap, but I never played it myself.

There are plenty of other games I ploughed days of my life into on the console (e.g. Dynamite Headdy, Lucky Dime Caper, Streets of Rage) but I don't know how well they would hold up these days.

I've not played on a GG since mine died years ago. Absolutely loved it at the time though, even though it guzzled batteries. I'd jump on a GameGear Mini or similar if one was ever made, but I'm not sure I could put up with the bulk and battery life these days; until then, I'll just stick with the handful of 3DS* adaptations of Game Gear games that are available.

*which, ironically, has an even worse battery life than the Game Gear, but at least it's rechargeable.

Yeah the Game Gear screen is horrible. Nomad screen is a bit better but still pretty blurry when things start moving. You're better off playing GG games on a PSP these days. Disclaimer: I own a Game Gear and 30 games.

Game Gear was my first console. I'm not really sure how many games I'd recommend as being worth playing now, beyond curiosity, but there's not a lot of actual stinkers either considering. Definitely Tails Adventure, that's a great game. Sonic 2 is god-awful and the Drifts aren't great, but all the others are fairly decent.

Sonic 2 is god-awful

WHAT MADNESS IS THIS

It's amongst the best Sonic games ever made. Also absolutely rock hard, but brilliant nonetheless, even with the cropped resolution making the first boss amusingly difficult on first try. A shame that they obviously took the backlash against the difficulty to heart, and made the gorgeous Sonic Chaos tediously easy.

WHAT MADNESS IS THIS

It's amongst the best Sonic games ever made. Also absolutely rock hard, but brilliant nonetheless, even with the cropped resolution making the first boss amusingly difficult on first try. A shame that they obviously took the backlash against the difficulty to heart, and made the gorgeous Sonic Chaos tediously easy.

It's a decent Master System game, but it's a shit Game Gear game.

WHAT MADNESS IS THIS

:wub:

I always consider myself lucky for having played the 8bit Sonics BEFORE the 16bit titles.

You can imagine me being baffled by the 16bit difficulty in comparison after (probably, memories foggy) a year or two of playing the MS counterparts, indeed. They made up for it by looking and sounding amazing, of course. I assumed for a while that they must have made 'these shinier ones after the MS ones....right?'

I remember disliking Chaos even back then, but it had a certain 'bash through it' feel that's fun once in a while. Possibly because of the unique (albeit pointless) power-ups.

I haven't to this day played through Triple Trouble from start to finish, annoying it was Game Gear exclusive.

Another vote for Tails Sky Patrol and Tails Adventure by the way. Both great.

I had one as a kid and absolutely loved it.We had the Master Gear converter and playing Sonic 1 (MS Version) on the game gear is just fantastic. The game gear port of Sonic 1 has a really ugly Sonic sprite I haven't been able to get over since. The Game Gear version of Sonic 2 is great though, I managed to beat that as a kid but I remember it taking a long time (how I found all the emeralds in a pre-internet age still amazes me) When we got Sonic Chaos we beat that on our first go and were bitterly dissapointed. Still, Triple Trouble made up for that, that was probably the best looking and sounding 8bit Sonic Game in the end. Sunset Park Train Boss :wub:

My absolute favourite GG game was Shinobi, I was so proud when I beat that as a kid. It's aged really well to boot. My list:

Shinobi GG

Sonic 2

Sonic Triple Trouble

Ax Battler: Golden Axe RPG

Columns

Fantasy Zone

Loved the game gear, had a huge collection until i decided to sell it.

Anyway, i had about 80 games but i don't think there were many great ones..

Ones i enjoyed..

Castle of Illusion

Lucky Dime Caper

Sonic (yeah, imo better than megadrive)

Putt & Putter

Popils

Bubble Bobble

Sonic 2 (it's an average game really but still worth playing).

Never played the micky/donald sequels but they supposed to be good.

Any ports (from 16bit) are severely cut down, missing levels and not really worth playing.

It was my first proper console, but apart from a few great games there really isn't much worth playing on the system.

Absolutely baffling seeing people describe Sonic 2 as average. It's a genuine platformer and time only increases my appreciation of what that dev team managed to get out of the Master System for that game.

Absolutely baffling seeing people describe Sonic 2 as average. It's a genuine platformer and time only increases my appreciation of what that dev team managed to get out of the Master System for that game.

It's not a very good port. It's also a bizarre game. Don't get me wrong, I sunk MANY hours into it (it's pretty hard, for the wrong reasons) and i still remember the time i actually finished it.

What's the deal with the first zone? Seemed more like it should have appeared later in the game - Green Hills Zone should have been the first zone (plus it's quite easy to start the game with).

Why is Tails in the Zone title screens but he never is playable?

The screen ratio made the bosses quite difficult, i believe a large majority never got past the level 1 boss.

Infact, the screen ratio thing was the reason the game is pretty difficult, especially later parts of the game.

I've never properly played through the master system version but it's most likely a more enjoyable game because it doesn't have the screen ratio issues.

Also, you can't play the final level unless you collect all the chaos emeralds.. some are in really obscure places.

What's wrong with the first zone? Is it because it's not 'Green Hills Zone'?

All the zone title cards are just Mega Drive graphics rendered in 8 bit which probably explains why Tails is in them. I've never properly played the Game Gear version, I just know it's exactly the same game on a smaller screen.

And yeah it took me ages to complete the game properly, I did the level select to get to Crystal Egg Zone but it still doesn't give you the good ending and I always struggled on the second emerald. But the game was amazing and Sonic Chaos showed what happened when they focused on trying to make it look good as opposed to playing well.

It was just a strange level choice, pretty much all sonic games start with a green hills type stage. The cave zone is just a bit bland and not really very inviting.

If sonic 1 had marble zone as the first zone I'm sure things would have been quite different..

Also, you say the game uses megadrive title cards but this is the same game ( you did mean master system right aa this is totally different to the megadrive one).

Yep, Only Master System/Game Gear talk in here :)

On a general note, I had my Master System well into the 16 bit era and I remember feeling like it was lagging behind, particularly as we were seeing previews of the Saturn and Playstation, as well as the PC leaping ahead. In hindsight, the games were fucking impressive for the trends they were trying to keep up with. Ninja Gaiden is one of those games that time gives me greater appreciation for.

What's wrong with the first zone? Is it because it's not 'Green Hills Zone'?

All the zone title cards are just Mega Drive graphics rendered in 8 bit which probably explains why Tails is in them. I've never properly played the Game Gear version, I just know it's exactly the same game on a smaller screen.

And yeah it took me ages to complete the game properly, I did the level select to get to Crystal Egg Zone but it still doesn't give you the good ending and I always struggled on the second emerald. But the game was amazing and Sonic Chaos showed what happened when they focused on trying to make it look good as opposed to playing well.

It's exactly the same game on a *cropped* screen. Which makes it preposterously hard.

The Master System version is a piece of piss in comparison.

Hahaha I always thought when people said cropped they meant that the gaming area was smaller - just watched a video and Sega made it so the gaming area is exactly the same?

Oh dear.