Aye, it was funny playing the Master System version years later and realising what they'd done. The first boss is easy after a couple of tries though - you just stay to the right and walk or jump left depending on the height of the bounce, so it's hardly awful. The leaps of faith leading up to the Green Hills boss, on the other hand, were nightmarish, and the one bit of the game that was genuinely poor design.

Out of curiosity, did Sega do it simply because it was a cheap way to publish games for two systems at once or did they not appreciate the nuances of handheld gaming? Because I'd like to think it was the former but then I remember the size of the Game Gear and the battery life and, well...

They should've done what Nintendo did though and use their previous generation as a platform for their handheld. I know they made the Nomad but it would've been nice to see them try and make a console that went up against the GBA rather than piss so much money away on the Mega CD and 32X.

Generally speaking, the GG doesn't have many terrible games. Plenty of mediocre games, granted, but very few truly awful ones. Europe was treated to the pick of crop, pretty much. This was a slightly different case in the US though, where there was a lot of licensed crap released.

The Disney games hold up well (be sure to try the lesser known sequels Mickey Mouse: Legend of Illusion and Donald Duck: Deep Duck Trouble), and so do most of SEGA's first party efforts. Sonic Triple Trouble, Baku Baku Animal, Ristar, Wonder Boy are recommended. Codemasters' games also - Micro Machines, Dizzy, Cosmic Spacehead, etc.

I've always had a soft spot for Mortal Komabat I and II, and also Marco's Magic Football - very impressive visually for an 8-bit title

If you don't mind opening your wallet, imports Gunstar Heroes and Mega Man are worth keeping an eye out for too.

post-4605-0-21445600-1395595680.jpg

I wrote two games for the Game Gear back in the day. Not so sure I'd recommend either of them as a valid playable game these days though despite being quite pleased with both at the time. Oddly I don't own a physical copy of either even though I must have had them at one time (the joy of getting a physical copy of a game you worked on was always a good one, not something I get these days).

FIFA International Soccer (the first one) and Lillehammer Winter Olympics. I saw a video recently of an American bloke playing Olympics and he said it was his favorite GG game as a child, which was nice.

I asked for Lillehammer for Christmas one year and didn't get it.

True story.

What about this Stinker?

I paid full price for that piece of crap. Seriously, the music makes your ears bleed. It's that bad.

I must never have really got off the first stage or so because quickly looking on youtube it would seem there are many levels i can not remember.

I don't think Taz got a good game back then, i didn't think much of the genesis/megadrive version either.

green shorts on a green pitch...

makes them look like rayman... or plok

I don't know whether it's still the case but most Game Gear emulators displayed the palette incorrectly. The Game Gear had a lot more colours (4096) compared to a Master System but the emulators didn't take that into account. I got in touch with the Massage emulator author about it ages ago. He didn't really believe me. So the shorts are maybe blending more than they did on a device.

FIFA International Soccer (the first one) and Lillehammer Winter Olympics. I saw a video recently of an American bloke playing Olympics and he said it was his favorite GG game as a child, which was nice.

Oh man, I loved the Winter Olympics game, had completely forgotten about it: the speed skating, freestyle moguls and biathlon were my favourites. Great game for a quick blast.

On a similar note (of short-burst games I adored but had forgotten about), Pete Sampras Tennis and Micro Machines were actually really nifty on the Game Gear - particularly the two players on one machine modes.

What about this Stinker?

I paid full price for that piece of crap. Seriously, the music makes your ears bleed. It's that bad.

I must never have really got off the first stage or so because quickly looking on youtube it would seem there are many levels i can not remember.

I don't think Taz got a good game back then, i didn't think much of the genesis/megadrive version either.

It's odd because the Master System version is totally different and actually quite good, so why they didn't just port that over is beyond me. And holy fuck that music is awful !

Didn't we do a recommend-o-thread a while back? I remember bigging up the GGs absolutely superb little port of Pengo. Outdated graphics from the second it arrived, but such well-tuned gameplay, and cheap as chips.

I remember loving the Soviet theme of Factory Panic too, but I've no idea how that has aged.