IGNORED

Blood Father - Mel Gibson in Taken-style thriller - Autumn 2016

Goose

I didn't see Gibson in Machete Kills (and not many people did judging by what the movie made). Next up he'll play the villain in The Expendables 3, and now he's signed on board to play a father who must protect his 16 year old daughter from drug dealers. It's being directed by the guy who did the Assault on Precinct 13 remake and the two parter, Mesrine.

Gibson has had a rough time of it in the past ten or so years. Yes, he brought a lot of it on himself, and maybe off-camera he still is fairly unhinged. But for me, I like Mel Gibson the actor, always have. He's made a lot of enjoyable flicks including the excellent (yet barely seen) Get The Gringo.

I can't imagine Hollywood will ever forgive him (which is fairly baffling considering what they have forgiven), but I'll gladly watch Gibson taking on a group of drug dealers. I apologise if this makes me a bad person.

he's up there with Tom Cruise for me. Hollywood needs more actual personalities. i don't really mind that he hates Jews when he's drunk tbh; they did kill Jesus and he made a whole movie about Jesus so that's obviously a sore spot for him.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
7 hours ago, Douche Bigelow said:

In an alternate universe, that's the Mel that was in Fury Road. *weep*

Yup, as good as Fury Road was, and it was amazing, that trailer just assults you with a reminder of how good it may have been with Mel. Damn. :(

Totally sold and can attest, if you haven't seen it yet, you have to see Get The Gringo. It's not an action-fest by any means, but if you enjoy seeing a grizzled, Payback style Gibson acting his guts out, whilst putting away some bad people, then it's absolutely worth your time.

But yeah, this looks like a welcome return to this sort of no hold barred, anti-hero territory which Gibson is the master of.

Totally sold and can attest, if you haven't seen it yet, you have to see Get The Gringo. It's not an action-fest by any means, but if you enjoy seeing a grizzled, Payback style Gibson acting his guts out, whilst putting away some bad people, then it's absolutely worth your time.

But yeah, this looks like a welcome return to this sort of no hold barred, anti-hero territory which Gibson is the master of.

Lack of payback love in here considering the Gibson fans, I thought that was one of the best 'films that are a bit like Taken, before Taken came out'. Something about being so stubborn about just his cut of the money and yet still fucking absolutely everyone up on the way to get it was brilliant.

I'm told the directors cut is better than the theatrical version. I haven't seen it, though I would like to. I enjoyed the theatrical version quite a bit.

I'm told the directors cut is better than the theatrical version. I haven't seen it, though I would like to. I enjoyed the theatrical version quite a bit.

Huge fan of Payback but prefer theatrical cut to director's version. Saw it years ago but seem to recall it just fizzles out. Worth seeing though. 

Edit: Found the old review I did - from 2007! Bit of a mess to read but I think the general idea is there - 

http://www.norwichphotos.co.uk/index.php?/topic/156480-mel-gibsons-payback-the-directors-cut/

Awesome trailer, love Mel, still has a great screen presense. I've heard it's not exactly action packed so the trailer probably contains most of the set pieces but come on, Gibson rocking a sawn off again and shooting a shotgun one handed on a motorbike...what's not to love?

• 3 months later...

I think that's a worse trailer than the first (just the pacing of it) but this seems to me to be a big-budget audition tape for why Mel could have still played Mad Max. 

I love the latest Mad Max movie but it'll always annoy me Mel didn't play the role, though Hardy would always be my no. 2 for the role. 

He could still do it! He fucking is Mad Max, doesn't even need to act! Oh well. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just finished watching it and while it wasn't as good as How I Spent My Summer Vacation, it was still an enjoyable 82 minutes. Michael Parks and Miguel Sandoval do some brilliant bit-parts, and Gibson reminds you why he was one of the biggest box-office action star draws in the 80/90's.

If you've not watched the trailer above and want to see this film don't watch the trailer!

Spoiler

It's literally the entire plot condensed into just under 2 minutes, all the clips are largely in chronological order. I rarely watch trailers these days precisely because of this trend. Producers simply don't trust people enough and feel they need to give more and more to convince people to watch. Disgraceful.

If you've not watched the trailer above and want to see this film don't watch the trailer!

Spoiler

It's literally the entire plot condensed into just under 2 minutes, all the clips are largely in chronological order. I rarely watch trailers these days precisely because of this trend. Producers simply don't trust people enough and feel they need to give more and more to convince people to watch. Disgraceful.

Jesus guys, I know that sometimes your need to separate the art from the artist, but the glee with which you're all supporting a violent racist financially is disgusting. The money you pay to see his films literally allows him to make more racist propaganda movies and fight his legal battles against the women he badly beats. I'm all for admitting that Lethal Weapon is still ok, but piling into his (deservedly) ignored films to shower a bit more cash on one of the worst specimens of humanity is something you should all be embarrassed about, not gleefully encouraging each other to do.

2 hours ago, Broker said:

Jesus guys, I know that sometimes your need to separate the art from the artist, but the glee with which you're all supporting a violent racist financially is disgusting. The money you pay to see his films literally allows him to make more racist propaganda movies and fight his legal battles against the women he badly beats. I'm all for admitting that Lethal Weapon is still ok, but piling into his (deservedly) ignored films to shower a bit more cash on one of the worst specimens of humanity is something you should all be embarrassed about, not gleefully encouraging each other to do.

In fairness, the only way to see this right now is by downloading a torrent, so I'm not convinced he's making much off those.