rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Qazimod

Not a Hero (roll7/Devolver) - out on Steam Thursday; demo out now

Not-a-Hero-GIF-21.gif

This is a quick-fire shooter that takes the intensity of something like Hotline Miami and layers on oodles and oodles of style - if you want my own lazy comparison, which you probably don't, I'd describe it as a 2D Vanquish with a hipster bounce.

I couldn't find much talk about this on the forum, but it sounds ace. The quote above is from this Eurogamer article which has some nice images of the game and is well worth reading. You can apparently slide and snap to cover, pop out to take shots, slide to take down enemies and use headshots for quick kills. Like Hotline Miami, it has a pretty straightforward objective - clear a building of enemies whilst occasionally performing secondary tasks in the level - and like Hotline Miami it's being published by Devolver. Oh, and it was playable at Rezzed, which I didn't go to. :(

UPDATE 1: Devolver reel from E3 2014, including Not A Hero and confirmation of PS4/Vita release:

UPDATE 2: Vote BunnyLord gameplay trailer below; the game has also been dated for May 7th on Steam

Theyve outsourced the bug fix (plus a surprise update) to another studio

Haven't seen a whole lot of new news about this lately but some gameplay footage appeared on YouTube earlier this week:

Ducking in and out of cover and crashing through windows reminds me of Gunpoint, but this is obviously more about manic gunplay rather than sneaky business. :)
  • Upvote 1

The Devolver showing at E3 was great, and Not A Hero is still one of my most-wanted games of the show even if it only showed up for a few seconds. With something like Hotline Miami I stuck with the PC version because mouse controls, but this could be a great fit for any of the platforms. :)

This is up for pre-purchase on Steam now for £8.99 (10% off - usual price £9.99) and there's a demo available to try too. Provided my recent PC fuckups don't spoil my fun I'll give the demo a go soon. :)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/274270/

EDIT: also if you preorder the regular or Global Megalord Edition (a digital special edition with "a digital art book, digital comic, exclusive making-of documentary, desktop backgrounds, Windows sounds, and the soundtrack") you can get OlliOlli for free.

So this is coming out this week. :) I can tell I'm going to be busy with a bunch of games soonish, as I also continue my second Bloodborne playthrough and count the days to USF4 on PS4, but I'm hoping this will be the kind of thing I can easily jump in and out of. I played the hell out of the demo until I finally completed all of the challenges for each stage - I think it's interesting that you have to complete all of the challenges for a stage in one run (rather than completing a few, then going back to the stage and completing the others) - that will certainly make later stages pretty tough, but I'm also looking forward to seeing how all of the other characters can be used to your advantage. I preloaded the regular edition on Steam but I have a feeling this could work well on any platform and am already kind of curious about what the Vita version will be like. :D 3 more days!

KnC3HfM.jpg