IGNORED

Lucy - Luc Besson action thriller with Scarlet Johansson

Goose

Mendelson says it's a good movie, but the trailers selling it is an action thriller are incorrect. While there is action, there isn't actually that much. He goes on to state that it's more sci-fi than anything, and probably the movie Transcendence should have been.

This looks bollocks. Besson's such an overrated director. I liked Nikita, and the film with the diver and Fifth Element is camp enough to redeem itself too I suppose. Everything more recently is just bobbins. Even Leon, which I saw at the cinema on release when I was 18, and even then thought that everything apart from Jean Reno was naff.

le Grand Bleu is a timeless classic you fucking idiot.

• 3 weeks later...

Think I've seen some ad spots on TV, so should be out soon.

If it's the one I'm thinking of - woman walking down a corridor facing MIB agents down with AWESOME MIND POWERS, ripped straight out of the beginning of the Elfen Lied anime,

It's out on the 22nd over here.

I thought it looked shit from the trailer at the cinema the other day, and Scarlet is often a sign to avoid a movie in my book, but that was before I saw who the director wasand realized I'd totally misjudged the tone of the footage. 10% of the brain comment would annoy me with most directors, but when it's Besson, you know it's going to be totally pulp fiction and exploit comic book stereotypes in an entertaining way. So now I'm excited.

Just saw this on IMAX for a friend's birthday. It was VERY silly and the ending was hilarious. My favourite bit:

Lucy turns into a big pointy space computer then spits out a USB stick at a bemused looking Morgan Freeman

It was pretty entertaining though.

It was so stupid I was seething...some of my friends enjoyed it though so maybe it was just me

Pretty much this... I was so confused and angry I had to go and buy a chocolate milk afterwards... which isn't a thing. It did that to my brain.

But then... ever since... I've not been able to stop thinking about it. Or talking about it. And I think everything that made me angry about the film MIGHT actually have been hilarious and excellent.

God knows basically, go and see it for yourself.

Saw this today on IMAX. I knew I was watching it on IMAX, as despite me specifically buying a ticket for the IMAX screening, it played 3 separate adverts before the film just to tell me how awesome IMAX is.

I was looking forward to this as I'm a fan of Besson, at least his older stuff. I love Leon and Nikita, and while it's very silly, The Fifth Element is on of my favourite action movies in large part to his direction. Yet this...I have no fucking clue. I can't decide whether it was so silly it was good, or so silly it was shit. Possibly a mix of both. Johanssen is really quite good in it, and I thought the start with her encounter with the gangsters was excellent. Properly nasty and tense, with her great as the terrified girl thrust into a situation she wasn't prepared for. But even then, it started with the silliness with the gazelle flashes which were more wtf than clever metaphor.

The longer the film went on, the sillier things got. The finale is a clusterfuck of stupidness which I knew was terrible, but at the same time couldn't stop watching to see where it went. The answer was really fucking dumb, and I think a second viewing wouldn't have me look at it so kindly.

The worst thing for me though was the action sequences. They weren't bad, they just weren't interesting. Worse still was that they showed glimpses of being so much more. The car chase that wasn't a car chase in particular had some brilliant shots, and could have been amazing. But there was no sense of urgency behind it, nothing to make it feel important or like there was any danger involved. Similarly, after the half way point Lucy uses her powers in the most boring way possible. And the shoutout she's not involved in, which has loads of people involved and could have been amazing, is treated as a backdrop for some of the batshit mental ending, so not shown as much as it could. It's a shame, as they could have been amazing if treated slightly differently.

Good start, batshit end. I was entertained, but I probably wouldn't watch it again, and I don't think I could actually recommend it to others.

• 2 months later...

I think I enjoyed it but it got more ridiculous as it went on. I found the last ten minutes especially tense because by that point ANYTHING could have happened and it would have made sense.

The opening 20 minutes almost seemed like they were from another film. By the time we reached the hour point I wasn't even sure I was watching the same movie and wondered if I'd got a version spliced with Under the Skin. The opening was really good I thought, made all the more tense by the lack of English being spoken. The translation scene was equally funny and frightening. I also liked we got zero backstory to how Lucy knew the guy etc. I did wonder what the hell had gone on in the bathroom with the main villain. It seemed to be in there for no other reason than to say this was someone who was absolutely not to be fucked with.

Then she got her powers....

Yes, I got nothing here. It went from the cool, to the sublime to the plain bonkers - that final five minutes was fairly out there. It really did feel like two movies smashed together.

The bit on the aeroplane!?!?

So yes, I think I enjoyed it. I'm not sure I could recommend it and I'm glad my wife didn't watch it as I don't think I could cope with that amount of head shaking/rolling of her eyes.

Johanssen I thought was actually great in it. Freeman was Freeman. Nice to see a movie set outside the US as well. Villain was pretty frightening. The plot wanted to be an action caper with super powers, but then decided it wanted to be a philosophy lesson. Not quite as much action, as a few have pointed out, and much of that was in the trailer. Just a shame they gave her all this power but then barely used it.

What I also thought was odd -

Straight after she gains the power, she is killing everyone - even that taxi driver because he couldn't speak English. But as the film progressed, she killed less and less people. Lucy from 30 minutes in would have killed all the guys in that corridor that Lucy from 1h 10m in left alive

I thought this was complete nonsense, but I saw it on a Friday night with a beer when I didn't feel like engaging my brain excessively so I couldn't complain too much. Its ridiculousness increased precisely with my blood alcohol level, so I think it was deliberate.

• 2 months later...