IGNORED

PC Engine

deKay

7 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Andorra is a member of the EU customs union. So there are now duties and customs paperwork required when buying from Andorra which didn’t exist before 1 January.

So what difference is it now compared to when I paid customs on a mode order before Christmas?

Can't be any more tax than what it was before

34 minutes ago, bwi said:

So what difference is it now compared to when I paid customs on a mode order before Christmas?

Can't be any more tax than what it was before

the U.K. always paid customs from Andorra, nothing has changed 

10 hours ago, bwi said:

thought so just wondered what PP was on about

Out of curiosity, I spent over an hour looking into it today! Seems that while Andorra is often commonly described as being in the EU customs union, it’s only a partial member, via a bilateral agreement. So it should be mostly, if not the same, as it was before 1 January, in terms of charges when buying from Andorra. But as with many things related to this, we’re in uncharted territory. So to speak. So I would still put aside 20% of the cost as possible additional charge as excise duty that might be incurred though, just to be extra safe.

• 3 months later...

Can anyone help me get the 1.03 firmware (or whatever's latest) for the SSDS3? I bought mine second-hand and can't register it on the Terraonion site as the previous owner already did...

Thanks!

Edit: nvm, it seems firmware downloads are tied to serial numbers, so I need to find some way to sort this myself.

• 1 month later...

Been thinking about whether its better to get a SSDS3 or wait a while longer and get the Analogue Duo, the lack of any news or updates from Analogue is really frustrating. Main reasons for leaning towards the Duo is that its modern hardware so should last longer than an original PCE and also I can use the 8bitdo wireless pads with it. But of course that all depends on whether or not we can actually order one or if its going to be another shitshow like the Pocket preorders. 

2 hours ago, JamesC said:

And how much do you want to pay?
With the optical drive I think the Analogue system is going to be seriously expensive.

I’m expecting it to be around $200, $300 max. They’ve had a lot of success at the $200 price point with the Super NT and Mega SG and the pocket will be releasing for that much as well. I cant imagine a basic cd drive would drive up the cost that much, they are much more common and more readily available than the cartridge connectors for the older consoles.

21 minutes ago, Major Britten said:

I’m expecting it to be around $200, $300 max. They’ve had a lot of success at the $200 price point with the Super NT and Mega SG and the pocket will be releasing for that much as well. I cant imagine a basic cd drive would drive up the cost that much, they are much more common and more readily available than the cartridge connectors for the older consoles.

its got a cart connector as well 

18 hours ago, ulala said:

its got a cart connector as well 

Thats true, it does. The Mega SG also came with an adapter to play master system games as well and that was still under $200 so I still expect around that ballpark for the Duo, when it eventually gets released 

Fancy building your own PC Engine arcade stick?

Rob Caporetto goes Behind The Scanlines to build the MonsterJoysticks kit for PC Engine & Mega Drive, with genuine Sanwa parts.

• 3 weeks later...

Just opened up the Core Grafx II I had RGB and region modded about a decade ago and the work is really poor. Are there any recommended mod shops in the UK that would take on corrective work of this sort? I'm inclined to reverse the RGB mod completely now that there are better alternatives available.

2 hours ago, DeciderVT said:

Just opened up the Core Grafx II I had RGB and region modded about a decade ago and the work is really poor. Are there any recommended mod shops in the UK that would take on corrective work of this sort? I'm inclined to reverse the RGB mod completely now that there are better alternatives available.

Off the top of my head,

Simon Lock:

https://aergan.wordpress.com/contact/

SLR Modshop:

https://slrmodshop.co.uk/index.php

On 14/08/2021 at 21:52, JamesC said:

Not to dis anyone's set up preferences but my Core Grafx on composite looks bloody lovely on my crt. I really don't have any need for an RGB mod. 

Get a cheapo RGB board to slot into the back and give it a whirl. You might be surprised.

Tidy piece by the way. I spent a whole year looking for a Core Grafx that didn't look like it'd been shat on by Godzilla before buckling and going for a regular PCE.

It's interesting to see a kind of reappraisal of how amazing composite video is for this console in recent times, and an acceptance of traditional methods of pulling RGB resulting in a slight loss of colour information and being technically off too (Bonk's skin tone being too red, for example).

It's also interesting to me that there are now devices that can pull digital video signals from those rear pins, convert them to an objectively 'correct' RGB (without any missing colour info)..and then convert it all to HDMI for those without a scaler / CRT.. and all with zero added latency. 

These rare, boutique vintage consoles getting all of this attention and expensive cutting edge tech. I'd never have imagined it.

My Core Grafx II was in black and white over composite, despite my CRT being more than capable of handling NTSC signals. I've got an SSDS3 bolted onto it now but would love to see what a composite display looked like compared to my current RGB one (which is already gorgeous)...

2 hours ago, Klatrymadon said:

My Core Grafx II was in black and white over composite, despite my CRT being more than capable of handling NTSC signals. I've got an SSDS3 bolted onto it now but would love to see what a composite display looked like compared to my current RGB one (which is already gorgeous)...

Forgive the possibly silly question but did you ever try other NTSC consoles over composite? 

There was always a bunch of off spec stuff going on with PC Engine video, making it impossible to predict TV compatibility and providing headaches galore for accessory makers.

I'm glad you got your SSDS3. I think I recall you mentioning being in the market for one a while back. With a bit of luck (if technically possible) they'll be able to back-port the palette loading feature of the new SSDS3 model to the firmware of older models, allowing for the toggling between RGB types for all.

6 hours ago, spanky debrest said:

It's also interesting to me that there are now devices that can pull digital video signals from those rear pins, convert them to an objectively 'correct' RGB (without any missing colour info)..and then convert it all to HDMI for those without a scaler / CRT.. and all with zero added latency. 

These rare, boutique vintage consoles getting all of this attention and expensive cutting edge tech. I'd never have imagined it.

I had a SCART cable with a built in RGB converter board at the console end for my last one.  Some dude from Sweden makes them to order via ebay. It was really good. Easily a match for the RGB internal modded one I owned years ago. Amazing what people can do.

• 2 weeks later...