Your retro youtube videos

General malaise prompts this question: how do you keep yourself motivated to bother doing more videos?

I enjoy the finished product, but the amount of time and effort I put into it feels a bit futile when it gets a miniscule % of views compared to those who do low-effort shite but are already popular. A big part of the issue there is I shouldn't be comparing myself to others, it's a waste of mental energy. But all the same, I'm finding it ever harder to make myself make videos.

I've been pottering over making one about Syndicate for about two months now, not even made a start on a script, recorded sporadic footage with no specific goal in sight. It's all a bit... meh.

Anyway, everyone keep on keeping on, I'll stop moaning soon enough. Probably.

• Upvote 1

And it's all relative because you get numbers that several of us would dream of.

Not to say your stuff is low effort shite, because it very isn't but you get the point :)

I think all you can say for those of us below the "Make a living at this tier" is exactly that, the finished article has  be worth the effort to you.  And to me it is so far, but that means I am trying entirely different things rather than just pumping out episodes of the same show.

That said, expect a Yesterzine normal episode next week and it's shaping up to be my favourite yet, featuring 3 guest voices including someone else of this parish.

I think you do them for the enjoyment of play/creation. If it's intended as a money making venture, you'll need plenty of luck (and preferably an actual income to keep you afloat while you try to gain traction).

In the meantime, I'm having a go at a world record:

Short look at a little known PSP RPG Brave Story New Traveler, which draws from the novel of the same name, quite a big series for Sony in Japan with two very different games released on the PSP and PS2 to go with the film release in 2006. Only the PSP title got an English release and even then it didn't make it here to Europe.

On 04/07/2019 at 12:52, ianinthefuture said:

General malaise prompts this question: how do you keep yourself motivated to bother doing more videos?

I enjoy the finished product, but the amount of time and effort I put into it feels a bit futile when it gets a miniscule % of views compared to those who do low-effort shite but are already popular. A big part of the issue there is I shouldn't be comparing myself to others, it's a waste of mental energy. But all the same, I'm finding it ever harder to make myself make videos.

I've been pottering over making one about Syndicate for about two months now, not even made a start on a script, recorded sporadic footage with no specific goal in sight. It's all a bit... meh.

Anyway, everyone keep on keeping on, I'll stop moaning soon enough. Probably.

My best advice, is to look at it as a long term project that will take years, as long as you have steady grow you'll be fine.  I need to do more in depth video myself as they are by far the most popular videos on the channel, but the take they take slows everything else up. I've nearly finished a major Saturn video, but I've now decided to re-record the footage with the OSSC to look better, for a more professional edge, so got that to look forward to soon. All the channels that do daily videos have teams behind them unless they are doing very short quick fire ones. It can be an uphill battle, but one that if you keep at it you will slow keep growing support.

I do wonder if there's ways we can work together too.  Maybe some occaisonal slightly lower individual effort joint thing that could be blasted at all of our channels so we catch everyone.  Some people would get duplicate notifications of course.

Like, someone brings a game they like, everyone plays it and there's a chat.  I'll ponder the idea anyway.

One thing I think we can do is promote each other.  Yesterzine, being a magazine analogy, has the lovely little feature of having a "Back page advert" at the end.  Amigarama has been on this for instance and Friday's is for Retro Princess mostly just because she's an excellent human.

But I could certainly do all you guys over the next few if you don't mind me using a little of your footage?  I don't have the biggest reach but it can't hurt.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't normally advertise my channel as I do it purely for fun but figured if hearing a 51 years Scots bloke who has been playing video games since 1979 wax lyrical about nostalgic memories and what not then it might be something some of you may enjoy.  My main area of focus are arcade games plus 8 and 16 bit but if you check out my playlist I have a huge list of varying content including one where I've been lucky enough to interview Dominik Diamond, Gary Liddon (ex Zzap), Jim Bagley, Kevin Toms, Shaun Southern (Lotus and Kikstart games) to name but a few. Thanks for taking a look.

• Upvote 3

It's taken me ages - literally months - to launch my retrogaming channel Reheated Pixels, as I decided to go with a big-name game for my debut.

Oh, and it helps that radio presenter Iain Lee features in this debut.

Because Out Run is quite a well-known title and I try to review as many versions as possible, the video lasts an hour. Most of my future videos will tackle games that are much lower profile, but I thought I'd go all out on a big one to get my style established.

I'm a stand-up comedian, I also do a lot of serious video production in my day job and freelance work. Thought I'd turn my hand to retrogaming because I've been into this since 1987, the footage is easy to come by and I just love larking about.

Reheated Pixels is a low-budget-yet-near-TV-quality take on retrogaming, smattered with a few gags and a few skits. The mission is to cover the pros and cons of a game's versions across various systems. You could suppose it's like a cross between Octavius Kitten and ChinnyVision, but I'm not carbon-copying anything anyone else has done. I have a love of low-budget silly things like Tiswas and Fantasy Football League, so there's a bit of that nonsense thrown in...

• Upvote 3
On 22/07/2019 at 20:39, Mamemeister said:

I don't normally advertise my channel as I do it purely for fun but figured if hearing a 51 years Scots bloke who has been playing video games since 1979 wax lyrical about nostalgic memories and what not then it might be something some of you may enjoy.  My main area of focus are arcade games plus 8 and 16 bit but if you check out my playlist I have a huge list of varying content including one where I've been lucky enough to interview Dominik Diamond, Gary Liddon (ex Zzap), Jim Bagley, Kevin Toms, Shaun Southern (Lotus and Kikstart games) to name but a few. Thanks for taking a look.

I was sub 2500!

I've never been a milestone before. Feels good man.

Another week and some more retro gaming videos on Randomised Gaming.

First off our playthrough of Star Fox 64 with me provideing the commentary:

We also braved the deep in the arcade version of In The Hunt from Irem, still the best submarine arcade game out there:

:

• Upvote 2
On 31/07/2019 at 14:15, Tee 1000 said:

Cool, The Hunt looks awesome, never played that before 

Really great title got release on PC, PS1 and Sega Saturn, but these days the PAL versions are quite pricey, there was a PC retro release back in 2010.

Wish it got a sequel or even a unofficial one, The Deep another water based arcade is also worth checking out if you like In The Hunt.

7 minutes ago, Riven said:

Really great title got release on PC, PS1 and Sega Saturn, but these days the PAL versions are quite pricey, there was a PC retro release back in 2010.

Wish it got a sequel or even a unofficial one, The Deep another water based arcade is also worth checking out if you like In The Hunt.

Thanks for that info, just ebayed the ps1 version. It sure is pricey , think I will check out on mame :-)  

Some PC retro this week with the 2003 title, Freelancer, so wish this had got a Xbox port. Great space adventure title borrowing a lot from Epic. I provide some commentary over no cutscene sections.

Edited by Riven
Updated video link to deal with a sound issue
11 hours ago, Riven said:

Some PC retro this week with the 2003 title, Freelancer, so wish this had got a Xbox port. Great space adventure title borrowing a lot from Epic. I provide some commentary over no cutscene sections.

Ah, the last game Chris Roberts (left before he) finished!

It's good fun, but it does always feel like half a game to me.

• Upvote 1
On 13/08/2019 at 10:29, ianinthefuture said:

Ah, the last game Chris Roberts (left before he) finished!

It's good fun, but it does always feel like half a game to me.

Yeah, I'm not sure if Chris Roberts left Digital Anvil or if Mircosoft gave him his marching orders....

It's a huge game, but the story does end on a too be continued note and the gameplay can get repetitive.

New video up 4K60 look and longplay of Sega Rally Plus on Sega Saturn:

• 2 weeks later...

Well from one Sega Rally to another, covering the now delisted Sega Rally Online Arcade (Home port of Sega Rally 3) on Xbox 360 and PS3, might not be quite retro. But how else do you describe a game that has been delisted for sale since 2012. (A part from the Korean PSN store I found out today)

Also like to show off a gem of a PSP game in the form of the little known Patchwork Heroes, which is a modern take on the Taito arcade game Qix. It has you sawing battleships out of the sky and there aren't many games where you can say you can do that.

• Upvote 2

Right, hope everyone is having a good bank holiday weekend in the UK. Our next video is a full longplay on the 2009 re-release of Turtles in Time. Not a patch on the original, but one worth documenting seeing as it was only on sale for two years 2009-2011.

A new series for me!

Original vs Remake pits an old game against it's more recent remake, reboot or remaster to find out which you should be playing in 2019. This episode : The Great Giana Sisters, the most infamous 8-bit platformer of them all.

• Upvote 2

Good video there Dudley.

Taking a look at a few delisted games at the moment, this is Marble Blast Ultra release on XBLA for 360 in 2006 and delisted in 2011. There an unofficial PC port which is the only way you can play it now, unless you picked it up on while it was available. Great game to, real shame it isn't on Xbox One.

• Upvote 1
On 30/08/2019 at 19:54, Dudley said:

Yeah just watched that one.  Personally I have absolutely no problem raising the jolly roger for games they don't and will probably never sell us again and that's a good one.

I think most will go down the PC fan version route for Marble Blast Ultra, yeah there are far too many good games that are now in limbo never to return.

Another one today is the XBLA version of Speedball 2 Brutal Deluxe, this 2007 Empire release included the original graphics along with a 3D remake look. Not a bad version, but got pulled in 2009. When Empire closed.

• Upvote 1

The start of a marathon.

Leading up to the Euro launch of the Mega Drive Mini I play all 42 games over 4 bitesize parts in order to answer one question only "Which should you be playing when you get it?"

Yesterzine doesn't care if a game was good then, it cares if it's good now and there's some that have very much traveled in the wrong direction.

Part 1 covers Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle up to Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine.

• Upvote 2