Your retro youtube videos

2 minutes ago, Dudley said:

You probably justify your own thread at this point :)

I'm trying to work out what approach is best. :)

It was quite fun chatting to the few people that actually turned up for the Tuesday premiere.

I'm aiming for three main videos a week which feels manageable. I'll most likely get bored in a couple of weeks and then you'll never hear from me again :P

• Upvote 1

I made something different to my normal stuff.

As Wimbledon isn’t on this year I tried to recreate an old match in super tennis and put some of the original commentary in it. I think it came out pretty good.

• Upvote 2

This video has shot up in views compared to the one I did last week. Either the algorithm is kicking in for my consistency or people just really like expensive Saturn shmups. Or it's just a freak of nature :lol:

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Next Friday.

Amiga Power determined that the lowest mark you could give a game without getting on the wrong side of the publishers was 73%. So we're putting the 73% reviews on trial, one magazine and game at a time...

A couple of SNK games here.

jumping Cross which I had never heard of.

and then Fatal Fury. It’s been a while since my sf2 vid, so I wanted another fighter

(and now I want to do them all in order)

39 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

@strider, enjoyed your video today with the tour of your games room. What TV is that you are using? Thinking of picking up a CRT myself. 

It's a Sony 2950QM PVM absolutely beast of a machine. I managed to grab it for £200 just before lockdown!

• Upvote 1

Two more from me.

Rough ranger is a rolling thunder rip off, and a pretty bad one at that.

And I finally got round to Gaplus after galaxian and galaga a few months ago.

Right been on holiday and been coving none retro games so haven't posted recently, but last night's video was a playthrough on Battletoads on the Super Game Boy 2 on SNES. Last week in fact was all Game Boy titles.

Also did a stream video on the Super Game Boy 2, looking at a selection of games that supported the Super Game Boy and how the SGB2 improves over the SGB. Jump to 4:30 for the stream official start.

Every Friday night the team battles it out and this week we did Battle Arena Toshinden one of a select number of titles that allows two players on the same cartridge via SNES controllers when using the SGB. It actually plays better than all the 3D games in the series if I'm being some harsh on them. Great fun on the Game Boy mind.

After covering the SNES version of Killer Instinct on the Stream last week, decided to do a playthrough of the arcade version. It's a shame it took to the Xbox One to get a home release of the Arcade version. I always felt the SNES port looked somewhat rushed and could have been closer, if it had used some of the special chip sets on the SNES. Still certainly was my favourite mid 90s arcade vs fighter at the time.

Took a look at the North American only SEGA Saturn release of MIDWAY Presents Arcade's Greatest Hits (Williams Arcade's Greatest Hits). Unlike the Dreamcast version this has some rather nice extras going into the background of each game.

Took a quick look at the PAL demo of Panzer Dragoon on the SEGA Saturn this weekend, short sample of the second stages that ends just as the boss turns up. Comes in a nice sleeve with a rather odd cover with a advert for the video CD and what looks like some London gangster standing outside in the rain :https://www.panzerdragoonlegacy.com/tags/panzer-dragoon-demo-disc-pal (Have a look here, certain doesn't scream SEGA when you first see the sleeve.)

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, ianinthefuture said:

Got a copyright claim by someone saying they composed Aerith's Theme, which is fun.

I had to raise a few claims with people I know in the industry, some are the real rights holders, but there is a lot of fly by night cowboy music copyright companies. That are doing illegal scams to take ad revenue money. Best one at the moment I need to flag with SEGA is Vectorman 2, guy claiming to own the soundtrack calls himself Dark Orka and is also selling the tracks on amazon I found out here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=music+dark+orka&ref=nb_sb_noss Here's his soundcloud page also: https://soundcloud.com/darkorkaa

Appears to have no links to SEGA and has just uploaded the tracks, You do have to research Content ID as I do have some from rights holders, which you have to respect. YouTube needs to have better checks on companies claiming content as their own.

This week's retro video a look at the excellent SNES version of Space invaders.