Your retro youtube videos

Swainy

I’ve been trying to find out all the ridge racer sponsors, now I can make them out with upscaling in emulation. Most of them are obvious, some took a bit of investigation, and a few I still have no idea about!

• 3 weeks later...

Amstrad's GX4000 video game console was released in 1990. It was the company's brief foray into the video game console business. The console was debuted in Europe in 1990 and shared hardware architecture with Amstrad's concurrently released CPC Plus computer series. The GX4000 was not a commercial success. During its career, the system's software was few and slow to come, and consumer demand was poor. In total, around 25 games were created and released on the GX4000. The pack-in game Burnin' Rubber, as well as RoboCop 2, Pang, Plotting, Navy Seals, and Switchblade, were notable games.

Amstrad GX4000: This is your life!
https://youtu.be/DD3TuR-TUvI

B7B69E6B-D59E-4D44-9561-9FB20AD69046.jpeg

Couple of videos out lately first off a look at R: Racing on Gamecube, which has aged better than I expected, certainly quite a lot in it. Largely it seems very forgotten these days mind.

All decided to revisit and playthrough Vulgus Capcom first arcade game, this is taken from the Capcom Arcade Cabinet on Xbox 360, which can be played via the Xbox One. An endless shoot'em up that repeats after three stages, but the scoring system is quite impressive seeing it was Capcom first title.

As an experiment, I've done my first review on my YouTube channel. I started with something I was playing anyway (and recording bits of while I was playing), and then put it all together at the end.

I've gone for a casual / conversational style rather than something more professional. I might do more in future. :)

Testing out my shoot'em up skills on the Dreamcast version of Zero Gunner 2 from Psikyo over at the weekend, still the best version of the game to play if you ask me. Newer version is missing quite a lot of functions form the original game, but that is sadly as they had to rebuild the game without the source code.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Started taking a look at Street Fighter Alpha 3 recently, this is the Dreamcast version great game, not the best port. A VGA capture with the screen at 100% still doesn't quite look right mind. Got another video as Shin Akuma going up later today.

Also in other gaming videos took a look at Shadow Gangs which is a new title for Dreamcast, previous was on Switch and Xbox One. Really is a love letter to shinobi.

I’ve been messing about with some tools allowing you to edit super Mario kart, and came up with this, which I think is ok.

theres a download link in the description on my channel, which maybe I can’t put here? (Hopefully it works)

More Street Fighter Alpha 3 this week with a 1CC as Shin Akuma, there is certainly a few issues with the controls in the DC version, inputs sometimes not registering and talk of input lag.

On Twitch I also took a look at the rather ropey Dreamcast port of Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear, I enjoyed the PC version, but the DC port has massive frame rate drops in open areas. The audio also has a bug where the sound volume keeps decreasing, so often you have no sound in mission. 😒

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1579673656

• 2 weeks later...

Decided to dusty off my Metal Slug skills on the PlayStation 1 version (Which for some strange reason never left Japan) despite the mid level loading, weaker sound quality and the animation being cut back to the bare bone. The end result is a decent port of an iconic game with the gameplay intact, oddly enough the slowdown seen in the arcade version is largely missing as well. It's a one credit clear, annoyingly I only lost one life mission six is always the toughest.

Also revisited the classic 1998 arcade title Operation Thunderbolt, which is still as hard as I remember.

Panzer Bandit is a great game, not quite up there Guardian heroes, but decent all the same. Shame fill in Cafe closed not long after else it might have been ported to Saturn.

Dug up the PS1 one this week as I recently got a Japanese copy of an early Namco title Cyber Sled, always remember the arcade being in Lowestoft. PS1 one version never seemed to get much love, great tank battle arena title, but the gameplay is very quick. Arcade mode is really short, doesn't help each match is one round only. Still some nice graphic upgrades and I suspect it may have helped inspire SEGA for Virtual On:

Twitch wise I think the highligh tof the other week was the PS1 version of Doom which has certainly aged well: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1592460532

So here's a PlayStation 2 Guncon 2 title many may not have heard of Gunvari Collection + Time Crisis as the name would suggest it's a collection of the three Point Blank games and the original Time Crisis. It uses the PS1 versions of all four so that means extra content, but weaker graphics. It also features some additional new games designed as a taster of Point Blank 4, which we never got. I can find next to no mention of the extra games anywhere on the internet. They are unlocked by finishing arcade mode in all four games, which makes the Time Crisis one by far the hardest to unlock if you don't have a light gun handy.

If you hop on over to the Randomised Gaming Twitch tonight at 10:00 (BST) https://www.twitch.tv/randomised_gaming I will be streaming SEGA Ages 2500 Vol.33 Fantasy Zone Complete Collection, I'll be looking at a selection of the SEGA Ages 2500 games this week.

• 2 weeks later...

Went with something a little off the pace today with a look at the original System C arcade version of Columns by SEGA. You hear a lot about the Mega Drive version not so much on this arcade one. It fair to say it was never as popular as Tetris, but certainly had its fans. Be interesting to know how popular it is these days as it doesn't seem to be talked about hugely.

Put up a look at the Dreamcast version of Bleemcast yesterday, which shows four races from the various modes and I included a split screen comparison with the game running on a PlayStation at the end. It's impressive to see how much better the game looks on Dreamcast and also shows you how detailed the original textures were on the PS1.

There were three Bleem discs officially released and we have also done a live stream of the Metal Gear Solid one here: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1630205853 (Hoping to get the Tekken one at some point at which point I would like to cover all three.)

Went with a Halloween themed video myself this week also, choose to do the 1989 SNK arcade game Beast Busters, which is also included in the SNK 40 Anniversary Collection. However that version has rubbish controls, sadly.

NeoGeo Battle Coliseum is one of those SNK game released in the mid 2000s, that got a bit forgotten. It's a solid fighter that is a lot of fun even if the game is hugely unbalanced. The arcade version has a timer system where you have a set time to beat as many opponents as you can before you get taken to one of four different final bosses pending how you did. Goodman is the true final boss and like any SNK boss is very overpowered.

• 2 weeks later...

Latest playthrough video saw me go with the excellent, but not that well known Warrior Blade: Rastan Saga Episode III, one of those very uncommon due screen arcades that I don't believe left Japan. Has lots of cool features, some great looking bossing apart from the final one and is just a really well balanced scrolling beat'em up.

Finally decided to video the awesome Saturn port of Street Fighter Alpha / Zero 3, complete with extra animation, not seeing in the Dreamcast version hence why this video shows T-Hawk in action. As his backwards crossed arm walk isn't present in other versions, I made sure to show it in a few fights like the Fei Long one.