The Expanse - 1 Season remaining

@PK don’t get me wrong, it’s still good, I just don’t think they have made the best use of the material they have. It feels like it has been like 60% Naomi and dribbles of the other characters now and again, which is worse because the other guys have much more interesting stories than Marco’s adventures in gaslighting. Even Marco has a better story than that going on but his attempted destruction of an entire planet is taking second place to his spat with his ex. 

It’s also diminished Naomi, I really like her and she’s not normally your typical female victim type. But she’s spent so long moping about and crying and doing stupid shit.
The best bit of this arc for her was in this ep where she finally 

Spoiler

Just went ape at Marco, I fucking hate you! Then launched herself out into space to take back her ship. 

That’s proper Naomi. 

I really wanted more of Amos vs the apocalypse for this series. There’s still 3 eps left but that doesn’t feel like much time to squeeze everything in. 

17 hours ago, Alex W. said:

Continuing to sideline magic space himbo James Holden in favour of Naomi and Amos is doing great things for the show. He feels like a character who would be more interesting if we had better access to his internal monologue. :sherlock:

If he had big white trainers and a motorbike he'd be the main guy from Sons of Anarchy. A prettyboy lead brutally overshadowed by his more charismatic mates.

34 minutes ago, PK said:

He's mis-cast, the actor isn't really conveying all that much inner turmoil.

Physically, though, he's amazingly cast. He looks so believable as Dominique Tipper's kid (even though he's way too old IRL to be so).

5 hours ago, Eighthours said:

Physically, though, he's amazingly cast. He looks so believable as Dominique Tipper's kid (even though he's way too old IRL to be so).

Yeah, he looks spot on, but I agree that he's not the strongest actor. He has the same expression in most scenes...

20210118_164937.jpg

It's a nice touch that he's so much lankier than Naomi and Marco, a little hint at the physiological changes Belters are going through generation-by-generation due to living outside gravity wells. That side of things was something that would obviously have been impossible to adapt faithfully but it's nice to have a nod to it.

There are definitely some weird things in this series where they don't structure it for maximum dramatic effect.

Take for example the moment Naomi finally gets a message to Jim after three episodes of rudderless plot and Jim says "oh wait the Roci has been sabotaged? Stop the engines!" and then everything is OK again instantly. Wouldn't it have been much better to introduce a ticking time-bomb earlier on, the audience knowing the Roci is rigged to explode, and making Naomi's actions more of a race against time to get the message back to Jim?

They've also introduced the slightly flimsy defence network solution to the guided meteors and rendered them moot. Wouldn't it be better if Amos was trying to escape earth because it was being bombarded, rather than because he didn't like it? Or maybe Clarissa could have some timing element where she has to get a top-up of plot juice to keep her implants from killing her (or giving her brain damage etc).

Filip should be the crux of all this, essentially representing a fork for humanity whereby belters can either strike out against the earthers or adopt a more humanist approach. But I'm struggling to follow his arc (and I've read the book!) He's friendly with his Mum one minute and screaming at her the next, and I can't tell if it's a heel turn or a fakeout to win the trust of his Dad so he can put a stop to proceedings. Which don't really matter now because Earth has a magic meteor stopper. 

"Some of the meteors are still getting through, they're breaking up into smaller parts and bombarding the surface of the earth! The magic meteor stoppers are running out of ammo! There's a huge meteor 48 hours away!" etc.

On the plus side, the last episode was very well paced and Dom Tipper acted her lovely socks off. You can really see them all improving and gaining experience and gravitas as it goes on. It was very convenient that they found a guy who can pilot the Roci perfectly just as Alex has to take a one-way ticket to the sex-offender planet.

I think a lot of the Earth stuff has to deal with budgetary constraints. In a perfect world this would have the biggest budget on television so that they can do certain things from the books justice from a visual point of view, but the reality is that we should be glad that we're getting these seasons in the first place.

And it's still pretty much the best thing on television. At least for me.

29 minutes ago, Vulgar Monkey said:

I took the meteor thing as a bit of a budgetary constraint tbh.

Its being made by the company owned by Jeff Bezos, the show was apparently bought at his request, the richest man on earth, he could have built a full sized replica earth and blown it up. Budget. Pfffffft.

Episode 8 i'm loving this series but i am already anxious there are only 2 episodes left that is my main problem.

Spoiler

Peaches and Amos why squat so close together that bit upset me, further apart when taking a piss.

There have been a couple of bits that triggered my inner pedant like that.

Spoiler

Bobbie finding a mushroomed bullet stuck to her flightsuit while in the razorback, and casually lobbing it over her shoulder to ping around in the cockpit. They pull high g in that thing! Seems a good way to get shot twice by the same round....

I mean the biggest problem with the show at the moment is there's not enough Amos. I think it actually all works better when you have the main characters grouped together, everyone's scattered this season which means they all get less time as it cuts between them.

Episode 8 was ok, felt like it focussed to much on dragging out some stories rather than expanding on what's going on elsewhere. 

First dud episode in the entire run, I think.  Was good to finally see a

Spoiler

depiction of the damage caused by the asteroids

but otherwise, a bit dull.

You lot are mad, that episode was excellent.

Spoiler

Proper character drama from Naomi and Drummer.

The main thing I loved was how much time it spent on Naomi figuring out how to desperately Macgyver something. It reminded me a lot of watching Mike fiddle with stuff in Better Call Saul, where curiosity goes hand in hand with anticipation of figuring out what he's trying to do.

The best thing about the show is the physicality of everything that builds the world, and there was a lot of that this week.

2 minutes ago, Benny said:

You lot are mad, that episode was excellent.

Hide contents

Proper character drama from Naomi and Drummer.

The main thing I loved was how much time it spent on Naomi figuring out how to desperately Macgyver something. It reminded me a lot of watching Mike fiddle with stuff in Better Call Saul, where curiosity goes hand in hand with anticipation of figuring out what he's trying to do.

This! Episode was excellent with some tremendous acting.

11 hours ago, Vulgar Monkey said:

There have been a couple of bits that triggered my inner pedant like that.

Hide contents

Bobbie finding a mushroomed bullet stuck to her flightsuit while in the razorback, and casually lobbing it over her shoulder to ping around in the cockpit. They pull high g in that thing! Seems a good way to get shot twice by the same round....

Spoiler

The writers of the books specifically called out that on Twitter... as an example of people being pedantic but not actually being right. Any acceleration high enough to make the shell dangerous would be immediately lethal (apparently).

This episode:

Spoiler

Just terrific. Amos suggesting they take the tequila was weirdly adorable, like a kid trying to persuade a parent that they really need to stop for ice cream for pragmatic reasons.

3 hours ago, Alex W. said:
  Hide contents

The writers of the books specifically called out that on Twitter... as an example of people being pedantic but not actually being right. Any acceleration high enough to make the shell dangerous would be immediately lethal (apparently).

This episode:

Reveal hidden contents

Just terrific. Amos suggesting they take the tequila was weirdly adorable, like a kid trying to persuade a parent that they really need to stop for ice cream for pragmatic reasons.

Spoiler

Wasn't that a callback to in a previous episode where he had some of it and was like: "wow that *is* good. And walks off with the bottle.

Thank fuck for that! Seen early comments suggesting this was a weak episode but delighted to see sanity has emerged :D that was just fucking tremendous.

Spoiler

So many fantastic little moments. The slow burn and desperation of Naomi’s situation. Then knocked out of the park with Drummer and her turmoil. That moment with her family and the water actually had me laughing with them. Then almost screaming along with Camina toward the end :angry:

Plus Amos and Peaches just doing what they do. Clarissa’s look at Amos when Erich calls him Timmy and then his look at her when she tells her prison story :wub: everything is once again so subtle but played perfectly.

These next two episodes are going to be something truly special aren’t they?!

4 hours ago, Alex W. said:
  Hide contents

This episode:

Hide contents

Spoiler

Absolutely and it’s as usual a very subtle reminder of how incredibly weird and fucked up Amos is. Worlds ending, stupidly dangerous journey ahead, must bring booze :lol: fucking legend!

6 hours ago, Benny said:

Hide contents

Wasn't that a callback to in a previous episode where he had some of it and was like: "wow that *is* good. And walks off with the bottle.

Oh definitely, that's part of what makes it work so well.

• JohnC changed the title to The Expanse - 1 Season of Amos remaining
  • JohnC changed the title to The Expanse - 1 Season remaining