rllmuk
JohnC

The Expanse - Come for space, stay for dug

3 hours ago, labarte said:

Is it like GoT where they are running out of books, why the sudden fall in quality?

They’re not running out of books yet, but the one S4 is based on is acknowledged by fans to be the poorest in the series. Apparently the next is rather good, though, so there’s that to console you/me. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Garibaldi said:

They’re not running out of books yet, but the one S4 is based on is acknowledged by fans to be the poorest in the series. Apparently the next is rather good, though, so there’s that to console you/me. 

I hope so. I really like 'clever' sci-fi but it's a rare thing.

Series 4 was very slow in comparison to the previous 3. However it had one of my favourite bits ever right at the end.

Spoiler

Amos after getting hit, turns round with gritted teeth, all bloody, a maniacal look in his eye and says "Thank you" :D

• Upvote 2

I know folk don't like book stuff in this thread but Book 4 should have been half a season at most with some of the book 5 events starting to emerge for the 2nd half of the season

• Upvote 2

Just finished S4 last night. I really enjoyed it. Yes it was slower paced and some of the Ilus stuff dragged a little bit but overall I really enjoyed it. Main issue for me:

Ashford getting spaced. :( 

• Upvote 1

OK, finished S4 after a bit of a break over xmas, I really enjoyed it.

I think my favourite moment was when Ashford was:

Spoiler

in his ship watching the video of his younger, unburnt, self singing to his dead space baby as it floated about. 

I really enjoyed Ashford in both series, its a really good change to the books that really worked well for the show, a great character, who's development from being one of the hardline OPA pirate to a man wanting peace and able to compromise to further the goals of the belt.

Burn Gorman was surprisingly good as Murtry, I'm not a fan, so was happy that he turned in a good performance. The bit where he 

Spoiler

punches Amos, then does the "I've made a HUGE mistake here" face. Oops.

Also - What the fuck is going on with Fred's hair? He's having a midlife crisis.

I can see why folks might think it slow or less relevant compared to prior series, but the last episode squeezed in so much set up and exposition in it's short time, Can't wait for S5, it is going to be epic. 

SUPER MASSIVE FUTURE PLOT SPOILERS  / S5 discussion - you've been warned.

Spoiler

The set up of Marco was really well done, skips a far bit of book stuff that would be maybe harder to film, the raid on the docks with Philip for the stealth tech etc. 

Gao winning the election will see Chrisjen on Luna, Bobbi meeting here there, the Roci and crew will also be on Luna after returning with Murtry, so they'll be in place for the asteroid apocalypse. I'm assuming they'll do the Amos on earth storyline and get Peaches from prison. I can't wait for that to be honest. Amos is amazing. Chrisjen ends up back in charge from Luna.

The Mars storyline with Bobbi was brill, I loved the way they took the short stories and used them to build the Mars in decline story. The Martian officer that Ashford had captured, said something about the dream of mars not being dead just before he was shot, so I guess we will have the breakaway martians going through the ring during the chaos after the rocks fall. They'll need to explain that well or people will be all like wtf? 

There's probably a couple of series worth of material to get us to the start of book 7. Then I've no idea what they are going to do about the 30 years later business

19 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Fred? :huh:

image.png.fa9c173eee44ca07556d1649e34f71cd.png

Col Fred Johnson, Butcher of Anderson Station turned OPA head honcho. Chief of Tycho station. Serious ex-military man and wannabe diplomat. Seems to be growing his hair out, probably bought a space harley. 

• Upvote 1

Wait... Ashford -

His baby was dead?? I completely missed that somehow, I must have been looking at his lack of scars instead. Ws that mentioned anywhere else in the series or is it book knowledge?

1 hour ago, Darwock said:

Wait... Ashford -

Reveal hidden contents

His baby was dead?? I completely missed that somehow, I must have been looking at his lack of scars instead. Ws that mentioned anywhere else in the series or is it book knowledge?

Spoiler

He tells Drummer, If i remember rightly - In the episode when they're dealing with the effect of the sudden slowdown - he and Drummer are trapped by machinery in one of the cargo bays on the Behemoth, I think it's then anyway.

His character is very different from the books, don't worry.

https://screenrant.com/expanse-ashford-death-book-difference-explained/

Think it was a bit before then, but basically yeah. Although it was ambiguous enough that I always assumed his son died as an adult (pirate), but their lack of de-aging in the video suggests otherwise. Sad. Soon as they showed us that I figured he was done for, although with the upcoming Marco stuff I could have happily watched him doing his pirate-hunting thing all series. He was really good at always seeming like he might flip teams too.

Also, while I'm a bit vague on how the books did it, why would the mars fleet fucking off need explaining carefully? Defecting, fleeing a dying mars and heading for frontiers unknown seems like it would sorta make some sense at face value, unless there's more to it than that?

21 minutes ago, Vulgar Monkey said:

Hide contents

Think it was a bit before then, but basically yeah. Although it was ambiguous enough that I always assumed his son died as an adult (pirate), but their lack of de-aging in the video suggests otherwise. Sad. Soon as they showed us that I figured he was done for, although with the upcoming Marco stuff I could have happily watched him doing his pirate-hunting thing all series. He was really good at always seeming like he might flip teams too.

Also, while I'm a bit vague on how the books did it, why would the mars fleet fucking off need explaining carefully? Defecting, fleeing a dying mars and heading for frontiers unknown seems like it would sorta make some sense at face value, unless there's more to it than that?

Spoiler

Maybe carefully isn’t the right word but setting it up so that it’s revealed that the free navy and their antics is just a cover for them fucking off with all Mars’ best toys and the protomolecule. If that makes sense.

As for ashford, yeah it might be earlier but I’m sure he says something about his son burning. So you’re to infer that’s also how he got his burns, but like you I expected an adult son, so the baby bit got me right in the feels.  How much fun would a baby in 0g be? Until it pukes!

still obviously loads of future spoilers - don’t click / be warned 

• Upvote 1

Are we doing lots of book spoilers (and ones like the two up there with no context) in this thread now?

I thought we were avoiding that.

Fucks sake guys, label book spoilers as such or go to the dead thread for open book spoilers and leave this one alone.

• Upvote 4

Just finished season 4 myself and while it is  slower paced  and I thought being set in a camp/planet would detract, it was still really.good . Some of the payoffs for things set up earlier in the season were subverted a little and generally thought the quality was pretty high again.It's maintained a consistent quality throughout the 4 seasons and if this season was based on a weaker book then looking forward to season 5.

• Upvote 1

I started watching this last night, the first two episodes. It hasn't quite sunk its hooks in, but is potentially promising. 

Thing is, it also looks as though it could become one of those military/technical SFs all about the war between Earth and Mars. Is it that? Because if it is I don't think I'll bother as that kind of thing doesn't really interest me.

Lol, no. It definitely goes a different way. 

• Upvote 1

Ok good, I was hoping someone would say that :D 

After episode two, I suddenly had the sinking feeling that this might be one of those series where the books are full of pages of technical specifications of military craft and their weapons capabilities. Glad to hear it's not though!

I'll continue watching tonight.

I'll echo the 'LOL, no'. You won't see where this is going.

1 hour ago, jonamok said:

Please post regularly @dug. We’re all going to enjoy your ride.

Will do. :)

In that spirit, here are some brief thoughts and speculation based on the first two episodes.

We have three plot strands, detective man, mining ship crew and UN leader/politician woman.

Detective man is searching for a missing rich girl, who I'm pretty sure is the woman we saw in the first scene, floating through the ship and seeing some weird shit with blue lights and someone melting (?). Something secret going on there.

Ceres and the shitty living conditions of the belters, contrasting with the rich, privileged UN, seems to be setting up a workers' revolt. We'll see.

UN leader woman seems at first blush to be a villain, coming as she does for the ultra privileged elites of the setting, and being willing to torture a prisoner for information. But then maybe it really was vital to the security and safety of millions that she obtain that information. We'll see.

Mining ship XO guy sets himself up as a sympathetic character by having enough of a conscience to call the distress call into HQ, so they're now obliged to check it out. Then as they're doing so, a stealth ship appears and destroys the mining ship. Apparently only the Martians have stealth technology, so it's strongly implied to be them, also backed up by the Martian military flagship also being in the area. I'm not entirely convinced though. Clearly whoever it was didn't want knowledge of what was on the derelict (missing rich girl's ship, there are two of the plot strands connected) getting out. So what was it? Dunno. ALIENS??? Probably not, doesn't seem like that kind of show. We'll see.

Oh, and lots of mentions of war throughout. Tensions are high, all it will take is a spark to set it all off, etc. A spark like an apparently Martian ship destroying an Earth owned mining ship which was delivering vital supplies of ice to Ceres? This means WAR! Maybe. We'll see.

• Upvote 7

Man, oh man. Love that you simply don't know who's who. Yet.

I'm extremely fucking jealous of you right now @dug

• Upvote 1

Let it be known that you're keeping up with things better than some have. There's a lot to take in at first; I don't think I fully grasped all the strands until second viewing.

16 minutes ago, PK said:

I'm extremely fucking jealous of you right now @dug

Aw shucks, I mean I am an extremely handsome, talented and accomplished individu...

Oh, you mean because of The Expanse. Right on.

3 minutes ago, Vulgar Monkey said:

Let it be known that you're keeping up with things better than some have. There's a lot to take in at first; I don't think I fully grasped all the strands until second viewing.

One thing I certainly haven't grasped is the names of the characters! I'll try and commit them to memory as I watch later.